Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > STL bitset class slow..

STL bitset class slow..

crea

Marcel Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> crea wrote:
>>> Get a *REAL* compiler. GCC is available for Windows, and VS2010
>>> Express is
>>> is available for free.

>> Ok, you got me thinking... let me check that GCC if it can do Win
>> programs. I doubt though... but lets see.

> if you think about gcc, you will most likely need an additional IDE. I
> would recommend Eclipse CDT (free). It will outperform the VC6 IDE by
> far. Of course, gcc will not support MFC, because of license issues.
> (An advantage, in my opinion.)

Ok, thanks... I will check that. I ll let you know. Interesting stuff...

Professionally speaking, do you think it is a good idea to learn these after
using VC since 1996? ITs free, so is it professional?? Is it as good as
Visual Studio?

crea

Marcel Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> crea wrote:
>>> Get a *REAL* compiler. GCC is available for Windows, and VS2010
>>> Express is
>>> is available for free.

>> Ok, you got me thinking... let me check that GCC if it can do Win
>> programs. I doubt though... but lets see.

> if you think about gcc, you will most likely need an additional IDE. I
> would recommend Eclipse CDT (free). It will outperform the VC6 IDE by
> far.

The only problem would be the learnig curve. Am getting a bit old (41) so
not sure if its worth to put efford to learn this new thing... or maybe just
buy latest Visual C++. Have to think about this...

I like the idea its free, because then dont need to buy new VC versions
every second year.

Of course, gcc will not support MFC, because of license issues.
> (An advantage, in my opinion.)
>

> Marcel

Dombo

Op 04-Mar-11 18:46, crea schreef:
> crea wrote:
>> red floyd wrote:
>>> [redacted]
>>>
>>> VC6 is horrendously out of date, and predates even the 1998 standard
>>> (much less
>>> the 2003 update).
>>>
>>> Get a *REAL* compiler. GCC is available for Windows, and VS2010
>>> Express is
>>> is available for free.

>> The problem is, I think, they dont have proper graphical programming
>> possibilities, which VC6 has. I need graphics as well!! Express does
>> not have included...

> The problem is that I have learned to use MFC. So these dont have it... its
> a bit difficult to change.

Only the Express editions don't come with MFC. The other editions of
Visual Studio do include MFC (and ATL).

crea

Marcel Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> crea wrote:
>>> Get a *REAL* compiler. GCC is available for Windows, and VS2010
>>> Express is
>>> is available for free.

>> Ok, you got me thinking... let me check that GCC if it can do Win
>> programs. I doubt though... but lets see.

> if you think about gcc, you will most likely need an additional IDE. I
> would recommend Eclipse CDT (free). It will outperform the VC6 IDE by
> far. Of course, gcc will not support MFC, because of license issues.
> (An advantage, in my opinion.)

Do they have a ready installation package including everything there? I will
try to find it myself as well ... . But if you know, pls answer yes .

Marcel Müller

crea wrote:
[CDT]
> Do they have a ready installation package including everything there? I will
> try to find it myself as well ... . But if you know, pls answer yes .

Don't know about a single package under Windows. (The Linux package
managers don't care about such details.)
In the worst case you must install Eclispe first and the CDT-Upgrade
matching your Eclipse release (most likely Helios) second.

Look at http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/

Marcel

Jorgen Grahn

On Fri, 2011-03-04, crea wrote:
> Marcel Müller wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Ok, you got me thinking... let me check that GCC if it can do Win
>>> programs. I doubt though... but lets see.

>> if you think about gcc, you will most likely need an additional IDE. I
>> would recommend Eclipse CDT (free). It will outperform the VC6 IDE by
>> far. Of course, gcc will not support MFC, because of license issues.
>> (An advantage, in my opinion.)

> Ok, thanks... I will check that. I ll let you know. Interesting stuff...
>
> Professionally speaking, do you think it is a good idea to learn these after
> using VC since 1996? ITs free, so is it professional??

In my experience (on Unix, not Windows) it's the /free/ development
tools which are professional, not the proprietary ones.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

RaZiel

On 04.03.2011 18:58, crea wrote:
> red floyd wrote:

>> [redacted]
>>> True, I forgot the optimization issue.... I use VC6++. I need to do
>>> the same without optimization.

>> VC6 is horrendously out of date, and predates even the 1998 standard
>> (much less
>> the 2003 update).
>>
>> Get a *REAL* compiler. GCC is available for Windows, and VS2010
>> Express is
>> is available for free.

> hmmm, GCC with wxwidgets might do the job... must check

If you'd go for wxWidgets and looking for a new C++ IDE for Windows, I'd
recommend CodeLite. It has a single installer with both GCC(MinGW) and
wxWidgets included. It feels natural even if you have used VS for a long
time. You can most likely still go for MFC using CodeLite by the way.

- RaZ

crea

RaZiel wrote:
> On 04.03.2011 18:58, crea wrote:
>>

> If you'd go for wxWidgets and looking for a new C++ IDE for Windows,
> I'd recommend CodeLite. It has a single installer with both
> GCC(MinGW) and wxWidgets included. It feels natural even if you have
> used VS for a long time. You can most likely still go for MFC using
> CodeLite by the way.

Ok, I actually just installed that one...CodeLite because it was so easy.
Just to test. But I am not able to get windows project showing a windows. I
always just get a black dos window. Why is this?

I go to new project/GUI/.. and tried all wxWidgets project. But when I
compile them I just get a dos window not normal window. Is something still
missing from my computer?

crea

crea wrote:
> RaZiel wrote:
>> On 04.03.2011 18:58, crea wrote:
>>>

>> If you'd go for wxWidgets and looking for a new C++ IDE for Windows,
>> I'd recommend CodeLite. It has a single installer with both
>> GCC(MinGW) and wxWidgets included. It feels natural even if you have
>> used VS for a long time. You can most likely still go for MFC using
>> CodeLite by the way.

> Ok, I actually just installed that one...CodeLite because it was so
> easy. Just to test. But I am not able to get windows project showing
> a windows. I always just get a black dos window. Why is this?
>
> I go to new project/GUI/.. and tried all wxWidgets project. But when I
> compile them I just get a dos window not normal window. Is something
> still missing from my computer?

Well its a nice secondary IDE at least... just hoping to get first windows
program compiled... only DOS window appearing...

crea

crea wrote:

> Well its a nice secondary IDE at least... just hoping to get first
> windows program compiled... only DOS window appearing...

Strange, I try to follow the "
Plugins

a.. Creating a wxWidgets GUI App
"