Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Apple's nitwit pundits miss the bigger picture

Apple's nitwit pundits miss the bigger picture

RichA

"Oooo the Apple iPad is cheaper than its competition!!!" So F------
what? Worrying about whether the device is cheaper is like worrying
about the cost of a 40kph-over speeding ticket. The cost of the
device/ticket is MINOR compared to the cost of the airtime that the
thing is going to consume. Lets say "video chatting," a key feature
of the new iPad takes off. What do you suppose the cost/month for
this will be when the texting-mad morons decide to adopt it?

SMS

On 3/2/2011 7:57 AM, RichA wrote:
> "Oooo the Apple iPad is cheaper than its competition!!!" So F------
> what? Worrying about whether the device is cheaper is like worrying
> about the cost of a 40kph-over speeding ticket. The cost of the
> device/ticket is MINOR compared to the cost of the airtime that the
> thing is going to consume. Lets say "video chatting," a key feature
> of the new iPad takes off. What do you suppose the cost/month for
> this will be when the texting-mad morons decide to adopt it?

The top selling iPads are the ones without 3G, so the cost/month for
video chatting is not going to be an issue for those iPads.

Even the 3G/4G Android tablets from Verizon require only one month of a
data plan, then you can cancel and go back to Wi-Fi only.

Not sure where you are, but in my area there is so much free Wi-Fi
around that it'd be rather ridiculous to pay for 3G/4G unless you really
needed to use the tablet while in a car, train, or bus.

What I like about my Droid on PagePlus is that in the rare cases where
Wi-Fi isn't available I have the option for pay as you go 3G data, or I
can sign up for a $30 monthly plan of 1200 voice minutes, 2000 messages
(text or multimedia), and 100MB of data. If you're not doing things like
watching videos over 3G, or uploading/downloading high-resolution photos
over 3G, that 100MB can last a long time. But you need the discipline to
wait for Wi-Fi before doing bandwidth intensive activities if you want
to not spend a lot on 3G data.

And of course the iPad is not really cheaper than the Xoom if you
compare feature to feature and take into account the extra features the
Xoom has. Some of that will change today. Perhaps the iPad2 will have an
LTE version. It's certain to have two cameras and a dual core processor
like the Xoom. Hopefully an SD or MicroSD slot so you don't have to use
that funky connectivity kit. But unlikely to have a USB port or Flash
support.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Oooo the Apple iPad is cheaper than its competition!!!" So F------
> what? Worrying about whether the device is cheaper is like worrying
> about the cost of a 40kph-over speeding ticket.

had it been more expensive, you'd be whining about how expensive apple
products are.

> The cost of the
> device/ticket is MINOR compared to the cost of the airtime that the
> thing is going to consume. Lets say "video chatting," a key feature
> of the new iPad takes off. What do you suppose the cost/month for
> this will be when the texting-mad morons decide to adopt it?

it will cost absolutely nothing extra. facetime (and everything else on
the ipad) works over wifi. 3g is *optional* and it's pay as you go.
there is no monthly contract, like with competing tablets.

Richard

RichA wrote:
> "Oooo the Apple iPad is cheaper than its competition!!!" So F------
> what? Worrying about whether the device is cheaper is like worrying
> about the cost of a 40kph-over speeding ticket. The cost of the
> device/ticket is MINOR compared to the cost of the airtime that the
> thing is going to consume. Lets say "video chatting," a key feature
> of the new iPad takes off. What do you suppose the cost/month for
> this will be when the texting-mad morons decide to adopt it?

Forgrt about the tablets. Just keep taking the pills.

Bruce

"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>RichA wrote:
>> "Oooo the Apple iPad is cheaper than its competition!!!" So F------
>> what? Worrying about whether the device is cheaper is like worrying
>> about the cost of a 40kph-over speeding ticket. The cost of the
>> device/ticket is MINOR compared to the cost of the airtime that the
>> thing is going to consume. Lets say "video chatting," a key feature
>> of the new iPad takes off. What do you suppose the cost/month for
>> this will be when the texting-mad morons decide to adopt it?

>Forget about the tablets. Just keep taking the pills.

If only Apple had employed Rich some years back.

By now, Apple might well have become one of the world's most
successful companies.

RichA

On Mar 2, 11:09*am, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 3/2/11 9:57 AM, in article
> (E-Mail Removed), "RichA"
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "Oooo the Apple iPad is cheaper than its competition!!!" *So F------
> > what? *Worrying about whether the device is cheaper is like worrying
> > about the cost of a 40kph-over speeding ticket. *The cost of the
> > device/ticket is MINOR compared to the cost of the airtime that the
> > thing is going to consume. *Lets say "video chatting," a key feature
> > of the new iPad takes off. *What do you suppose the cost/month for
> > this will be when the texting-mad morons decide to adopt it?

> You are sooooooooo ****ed about ANYTHING AAPL, RichTard.
>
> I told you four years ago to pull your dough out of MSFT and buy all the
> AAPL that you could.
>
> Did you listen? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You knew it all and NOW you are
> nothing but a dried up bitter old turd circling the toilet bowl...

Apple fan; noted.

RichA

On Mar 2, 11:59*am, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "Oooo the Apple iPad is cheaper than its competition!!!" *So F------
> > what? *Worrying about whether the device is cheaper is like worrying
> > about the cost of a 40kph-over speeding ticket.

> had it been more expensive, you'd be whining about how expensive apple
> products are.
>
> > The cost of the
> > device/ticket is MINOR compared to the cost of the airtime that the
> > thing is going to consume. *Lets say "video chatting," a key feature
> > of the new iPad takes off. *What do you suppose the cost/month for
> > this will be when the texting-mad morons decide to adopt it?

> it will cost absolutely nothing extra. facetime (and everything else on
> the ipad) works over wifi. 3g is *optional* and it's pay as you go.
> there is no monthly contract, like with competing tablets.

Did we suddenly get transported into a world where Wifi is omnipresent
AND free?

RichA

On Mar 2, 1:37*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >RichA wrote:
> >> "Oooo the Apple iPad is cheaper than its competition!!!" *So F------
> >> what? *Worrying about whether the device is cheaper is like worrying
> >> about the cost of a 40kph-over speeding ticket. *The cost of the
> >> device/ticket is MINOR compared to the cost of the airtime that the
> >> thing is going to consume. *Lets say "video chatting," a key feature
> >> of the new iPad takes off. *What do you suppose the cost/month for
> >> this will be when the texting-mad morons decide to adopt it?

> >Forget about the tablets. Just keep taking the pills.

> If only Apple had employed Rich some years back. *
>
> By now, Apple might well have become one of the world's most
> successful companies.

Yes, no one ever went broke targeting an audience of sheep.

charles

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 14:11:25 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mar 2, 1:37*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >Forget about the tablets. Just keep taking the pills.

>> If only Apple had employed Rich some years back. *
>>
>> By now, Apple might well have become one of the world's most
>> successful companies.

>Yes, no one ever went broke targeting an audience of sheep.

There you go, you have just developed your business plan. Now
implement it.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > The cost of the
> > > device/ticket is MINOR compared to the cost of the airtime that the
> > > thing is going to consume. *Lets say "video chatting," a key feature
> > > of the new iPad takes off. *What do you suppose the cost/month for
> > > this will be when the texting-mad morons decide to adopt it?

> > it will cost absolutely nothing extra. facetime (and everything else on
> > the ipad) works over wifi. 3g is *optional* and it's pay as you go.
> > there is no monthly contract, like with competing tablets.

> Did we suddenly get transported into a world where Wifi is omnipresent
> AND free?

nope. we've been in it for quite a while. wifi is not that hard to
find, including for free.