Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony declares the flipping mirror obsolete

Sony declares the flipping mirror obsolete

RichA

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>http://translate.google.com/translat...1_7341&act=url

Or try this shorter link:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6kd4rxe

Quote from the above linked site:

Zaragoza / Barcelona. Iker Morán .- "In our range Alpha the future is
to replace the mechanical electronics." While this statement is
already sufficiently enlightening road map prepared by Sony for its
range of SLR cameras (or SLT, as it were), company officials have
confirmed to QUESABESDE.COM that all future releases in this showcase
will take the technology translucent mirror and seen in the A55V and
A33.

This makes sense, because Alpha DSLRs no longer sell. They are almost
impossible to shift even at deeply discounted prices. I have had to
sell several dozen brand new Alpha DSLRs on eBay as "refurbished" with
a 0.99 start price because we just *cannot* sell them in the shops, no
matter how hard we try.

The A33 and A55 sold reasonably well because they were new. The A77
will also sell well initially because of its new 25 MP sensor. But
the market for the A33 and A55 is drying up, with sales already down,
and I can see the A77 going the same way within months of being
introduced. Full frame is dead and buried.

Meanwhile, NEX is a huge success and the system is crying out for
better lenses and a prosumer body to help keen amateurs get the best
out of Sony's excellent new sensors.

Bruce

Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>> Sony('s)...
>> range of SLR cameras (or SLT, as it were)

>What does SLT stand for, single lens translucent?

Yes, I think so. I hate the darn things.

>It might fly but ack, darker viewfinder, darker sensor... I understand
>there will be a mirror lockup mode for special cases but it seems a
>shame to compromise the performance of their entire line of cameras. I
>also understand how that helps with video and it looks like Nikon will
>come out with similar but I really don't like the idea taking over
>everything.
>
>Hmm, one reason they'd choose this route is there's no need to develop a
>new line of short mount lenses. This applies to Nikon more than Sony
>since they've got the NEX system now.

Nikon's mirrorless system will have its own range of newly developed
lenses. The announcement isn't very far away ...

Bruce

Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce says...
>> The A77
>> will also sell well initially because of its new 25 MP sensor.

>25MP on a crop size sensor?

I find it strange to see you reply to one of my postings, Alfred. You
seem capable of ignoring me for long periods of time when it suits
you.

Well, now it suits me to ignore you.

Peabody

Alan Browne says...

> OTOH the drop in light to the sensor is either 1/3 or
> 2/3 of a stop (I don't recall which). It's not much -
> certainly less than the improved noise characteristics
> of the sensors as well as the ability of the pupil to
> dilate (For the VF 2/3 or 1/3).

So brightness in the viewfinder isn't compromised by this
system? Well if it doesn't degrade the viewfinder image,
and it doesn't compromise sensor performance, then it's just
like magic, isn't it? The light is shared, but nobody
notices.

dj_nme

On 28/02/2011 10:27 AM, Peabody wrote:
> Alan Browne says...
>
> > OTOH the drop in light to the sensor is either 1/3 or
> > 2/3 of a stop (I don't recall which). It's not much -
> > certainly less than the improved noise characteristics
> > of the sensors as well as the ability of the pupil to
> > dilate (For the VF 2/3 or 1/3).

> So brightness in the viewfinder isn't compromised by this
> system? Well if it doesn't degrade the viewfinder image,
> and it doesn't compromise sensor performance, then it's just
> like magic, isn't it? The light is shared, but nobody
> notices.

I'm not sure which camera you're specifically writing about, but the new
Sony SLT cameras don't have an optical viewfinder.
The SLT cameras have an EVF instead.
The pellicle mirror doesn't form part of the viewfinder (as it does in
the Canon Pellix), instead it reflects part of the image (that's where
the 1/3 to 1/2 stop goes from in Allan Browne's post above) up into the
AF sensor modules.

Rich

On Feb 27, 3:21*pm, Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 2011.02.27 14:25 , Paul Furman wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote:
> >> Sony('s)...
> >> range of SLR cameras (or SLT, as it were)

> > What does SLT stand for, single lens translucent?

> > It might fly but ack, darker viewfinder, darker sensor... I understand
> > there will be a mirror lockup mode for special cases but it seems a
> > shame to compromise the performance of their entire line of cameras. I
> > also understand how that helps with video and it looks like Nikon will
> > come out with similar but I really don't like the idea taking over
> > everything.

> I'm not crazy about it either.
>
> OTOH the drop in light to the sensor is either 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop (I
> don't recall which). *It's not much - certainly less than the improved
> noise characteristics of the sensors as well as the ability of the pupil
> to dilate (For the VF 2/3 or 1/3).
>
> --
> gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

Dilated pupils are less acute when it comes to resolving things.

Rich

On Feb 27, 4:59*pm, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce says...
>
> > The A77
> > will also sell well initially because of its new 25 MP sensor.

> 25MP on a crop size sensor?
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

If you can live with 12-16MP on micro 4/3rds, up to 25 and beyond on a
1.5 crop should be fine.

John Turco

Bruce wrote:

> > Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce says...
> >> The A77 will also sell well initially because of its new 25 MP sensor.

> > 25MP on a crop size sensor?

> I find it strange to see you reply to one of my postings, Alfred. You
> seem capable of ignoring me for long periods of time when it suits you.
>
> Well, now it suits me to ignore you.

"Bruce" is accusing somebody >else< of "ignoring" >him<, eh?

Oh, the irony of it all!

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>