Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A Half-Gigabyte View of the Moon

A Half-Gigabyte View of the Moon

me

Ever since NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter began circling the Moon
at low altitude in mid-2009, planetary scientists and the public have
marveled at the incredible trove of observations it's been beaming
back to Earth. Most often in the spotlight are the jaw-dropping
closeups of Apollo landing sites by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter
Camera (LROC). It can resolve the surface at 2 feet (0.5 m) per pixel
good enough to reveal even the paths worn in the lunar soil by the
astronauts' boots.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

Rich

On Feb 26, 6:42*am, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ever since NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter began circling the Moon
> at low altitude in mid-2009, planetary scientists and the public have
> marveled at the incredible trove of observations it's been beaming
> back to Earth. Most often in the spotlight are the jaw-dropping
> closeups of Apollo landing sites by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter
> Camera (LROC). It can resolve the surface at 2 feet (0.5 m) per pixel
> good enough to reveal even the paths worn in the lunar soil by the
> astronauts' boots.
>
> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

But why did they offer up the full image as a TIFF only? If the
unmolested detail is important, fine, but at least a JPEG would be
more manageable.

Jeff R.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Feb 26, 6:42 am, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

> But why did they offer up the full image as a TIFF only? If the
> unmolested detail is important, fine, but at least a JPEG would be
> more manageable.

It's manageable.
I DLed it onto my humble-enough system, and it opens in CS4 Photoshop with
little grief.
It's not fast, and is plainly close tot he limit, but it works.

--
Jeff R.

David J Taylor

>> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html
>
> But why did they offer up the full image as a TIFF only? If the
> unmolested detail is important, fine, but at least a JPEG would be
> more manageable.

The TIFF works perfectly with the free IrfanView.

Cheers,
David

ASCII

David J Taylor wrote:
>>> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

>> But why did they offer up the full image as a TIFF only? If the
>> unmolested detail is important, fine, but at least a JPEG would be
>> more manageable.

>The TIFF works perfectly with the free IrfanView.

Same with XnView

Bruce

Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Savageduck wrote:
>>
>> Here is what NASA actually provides using Zoomify which allows you to
>> zoom in and navigate the image.
>> < http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc_browse/view/wac_nearside >

>Where can we find a human landing site with tracks and footprints?

In the Arizona desert?

Bruce

>On 2011-02-27 10:11:34 -0800, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> Savageduck wrote:
>>> Here is what NASA actually provides using Zoomify which allows you to
>>> zoom in and navigate the image.
>>> < http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc_browse/view/wac_nearside >

>> Where can we find a human landing site with tracks and footprints?

>http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LR...-apollo16.html

How do we know that isn't in the Arizona desert?

ASCII

Bruce wrote:
>Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Where can we find a human landing site with tracks and footprints?

>>http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LR...-apollo16.html

>How do we know that isn't in the Arizona desert?

No illegal immigrants in the pic?

tony cooper

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 22:13:23 +0000, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Where can we find a human landing site with tracks and footprints?

>>http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LR...-apollo16.html

>How do we know that isn't in the Arizona desert?

Arizona is does not exist. Arizona was created on the back lot of MGM
as a setting for Westerns. There is no such place.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 2/27/2011 1:53 AM, Rich wrote:
> On Feb 26, 6:42 am, me<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Ever since NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter began circling the Moon
>> at low altitude in mid-2009, planetary scientists and the public have
>> marveled at the incredible trove of observations it's been beaming
>> back to Earth. Most often in the spotlight are the jaw-dropping
>> closeups of Apollo landing sites by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter
>> Camera (LROC). It can resolve the surface at 2 feet (0.5 m) per pixel
>> good enough to reveal even the paths worn in the lunar soil by the
>> astronauts' boots.
>>
>> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

> But why did they offer up the full image as a TIFF only? If the
> unmolested detail is important, fine, but at least a JPEG would be
> more manageable.

If someone gave you a gift of 1,000,000 USD, you would complain that it
was not CD and about the currency conversion process.

--
Peter