Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can't figure out Olympus

Can't figure out Olympus

RichA

It can't have been that difficult to make a tiny 4/3rds mirror
mechanism snap away at 10fps, it would weigh about 1/6th what a FF
mirror assembly would. But Olympus appears to be going the Sony
route. Why not just go straight to mirrorless with a higher-end body?
The focus problems they're having with the E-5 would seem to suggest
dumping the phase focus method altogether.

http://www.43rumors.com/oh-yes-olymp...ee-the-patent/

charles

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:04:10 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>It can't have been that difficult to make a tiny 4/3rds mirror
>mechanism snap away at 10fps, it would weigh about 1/6th what a FF
>mirror assembly would. But Olympus appears to be going the Sony
>route. Why not just go straight to mirrorless with a higher-end body?
>The focus problems they're having with the E-5 would seem to suggest
>dumping the phase focus method altogether.
>
>http://www.43rumors.com/oh-yes-olymp...ee-the-patent/

Why not ask them.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>It can't have been that difficult to make a tiny 4/3rds mirror
>mechanism snap away at 10fps, it would weigh about 1/6th what a FF
>mirror assembly would.
>But Olympus appears to be going the Sony
>route. Why not just go straight to mirrorless with a higher-end body?

But that's *exactly* what Olympus is doing. Expect a high end Micro
Four Thirds body with prosumer features and a new generation contrast
detect AF system.

Just don't expect it in 2011. One for next year.

Patent chasing tends to mislead, because camera manufacturers pursue
very many lines of research and development, some of which will never
see the light of day in the marketplace.

I wonder if the Nikon and Canon mirrorless systems, one of which will
be announced fairly soon, will address the market for a high end body
from the outset?

Rich

On Feb 25, 4:13*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >It can't have been that difficult to make a tiny 4/3rds mirror
> >mechanism snap away at 10fps, it would weigh about 1/6th what a FF
> >mirror assembly would. *
> >But Olympus appears to be going the Sony
> >route. *Why not just go straight to mirrorless with a higher-end body?

> But that's *exactly* what Olympus is doing. *Expect a high end Micro
> Four Thirds body with prosumer features and a new generation contrast
> detect AF system. *
>
> Just don't expect it in 2011. *One for next year.
>
> Patent chasing tends to mislead, because camera manufacturers pursue
> very many lines of research and development, some of which will never
> see the light of day in the marketplace.
>
> I wonder if the Nikon and Canon mirrorless systems, one of which will
> be announced fairly soon, will address the market for a high end body
> from the outset?

Personally, I think losing light is enough reason to avoid the fixed
mirror design, but if they've come up with a clever way to avoid that
in some situations, then it might be ok. But the last thing you want
to do with micro 4/3rds sensors is to lose light before it hits the
sensor.