Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Got My HTC Desire

Got My HTC Desire

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <iptav2$vri$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Finally got it to connect to my wireless network ...

And got it connected to the Android Market. I thought I had already signed
up, but when I tried putting in the e-mail address I used in the
registration (at my geek-central domain) it refused it, saying I had to use
a GMail account.

So I registered again, and after several tries found a GMail address I could
live with that hadn’t already been taken. I haven’t needed to enter any
credit-card details—presumably that will happen when I try to buy my first
paid app. So far I’ve downloaded a few no-charge ones.

Talking of calculator emulators, someone has already done an open-source one
for the HP-48GX. In terms of capabilities, this is about 15 years ahead of a
late-1970s model like the one I did. Luckily manuals are available online,
and I will need to read them to make sense of this...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Tried a few of these codes
<http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Secret_Codes>
and they work! A lot of hidden information about the system config as
well as testing functions available.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

The most annoying problem I’ve found so far: try as I might, I cannot
set the time accurately (i.e. to the second). When I set it to get
the time automatically from whatever servers it uses (I can find no
place to select these), it keeps bugging me once or twice a day to
press a button to set the time. But even after doing this, it’s
noticeably out (currently by about 15 seconds) from my NTP-synchronized
desktop PCs.

If I set the time manually, I cannot do it more accurately than to
the nearest minute.

But it turns out that when I get a GPS fix, I also get the GPS time,
which is accurate. So I figured I’d modify my GPS-test program to add an
option to set the system time when it gets the next fix.

Then I discovered that the set-system-time privilege is so special, it’s
only available to specially-signed “system” applications, not ordinary
third-party ones like mine.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Further on media support: it plays MIDI files!

Enkidu

> The most annoying problem I’ve found so far: try as I might, I cannot
> set the time accurately (i.e. to the second). When I set it to get
> the time automatically from whatever servers it uses (I can find no
> place to select these), it keeps bugging me once or twice a day to
> press a button to set the time. But even after doing this, it’s
> noticeably out (currently by about 15 seconds) from my NTP-synchronized
> desktop PCs.
>
> If I set the time manually, I cannot do it more accurately than to
> the nearest minute.
>
> But it turns out that when I get a GPS fix, I also get the GPS time,
> which is accurate. So I figured I’d modify my GPS-test program to add an
> option to set the system time when it gets the next fix.
>
> Then I discovered that the set-system-time privilege is so special, it’s
> only available to specially-signed “system” applications, not ordinary
> third-party ones like mine.

Set something up on your network to listen on UDP port 123.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 162.54
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon
CPU implementer : 0x51
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0x00f
CPU revision : 2

Hardware : bravo
Revision : 0084
Serial : 0000000000000000

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

There’s an autocorrect feature which some apps engage, and it can be
quite vicious. I downloaded this Jabber client called “Jabiru”, and
I tried typing its name into a line, but it kept being corrected to
“Habitual”! It took me 3 tries before I was able to get it to accept
what I typed as is, and I’m still not sure how I managed it.

Desire to get into Microsoft MCSD 3 11-03-2004 04:29 PM
how to make panel control display in its desire position Joe Au ASP .Net 2 08-08-2004 01:41 AM
Cannot redirect to desire page Grey ASP .Net 1 08-03-2004 12:04 PM
What? No "Wings of Desire" chatter? Jordan Lund DVD Video 1 07-04-2003 01:01 AM
MCSE 2000, CCNA desire to jobs Paolo Garcia MCSE 6 07-03-2003 01:02 PM

Advertisments