Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Got My HTC Desire

Reply
Thread Tools

Got My HTC Desire

 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2011
Got my first mobile phone today. Well, if I’m going to be doing Android
development, I figure I need a phone to do proper testing on. Decided the
catalogues for the local retailers didn’t look very appealing, so went on
line, and found mobicity.co.nz (actually seems to be Australian-based).
Decided the Desire was a suitable combination of useful features at not too
great a price. The phone arrived after four days.

Couldn’t wait for it to fully charge, so started messing about with it while
it was connected to the mains. Worked for a while, and then started
misbehaving: ignoring my touches, or seemingly registering phantom touches
in the wrong places.

Finally gave up and got on the online chat to Mobicity to ask for help. By
this time the phone had been on the charger for a couple of hours, so I took
it off and sat with it in front of my PC.

And would you believe, it worked fine. Anyway, their support guy was nice
enough to call me and explain to me that it’s a known issue, when the phone
is on the charger, the touchscreen gets confused by voltage differences or
something, and won’t work right. Moral: don’t try to use it while it’s
charging.

Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?

Anyway, back to playing with my new toy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2011
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Got my first mobile phone today. Well, if I’m going to be doing Android
> development, I figure I need a phone to do proper testing on. Decided the
> catalogues for the local retailers didn’t look very appealing, so went on
> line, and found mobicity.co.nz (actually seems to be Australian-based).
> Decided the Desire was a suitable combination of useful features at not
> too great a price. The phone arrived after four days.
>
> Couldn’t wait for it to fully charge, so started messing about with it
> while it was connected to the mains. Worked for a while, and then started
> misbehaving: ignoring my touches, or seemingly registering phantom touches
> in the wrong places.
>
> Finally gave up and got on the online chat to Mobicity to ask for help. By
> this time the phone had been on the charger for a couple of hours, so I
> took it off and sat with it in front of my PC.
>
> And would you believe, it worked fine. Anyway, their support guy was nice
> enough to call me and explain to me that it’s a known issue, when the
> phone is on the charger, the touchscreen gets confused by voltage
> differences or something, and won’t work right. Moral: don’t try to use it
> while it’s charging.
>
> Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?



Haven't seen that problem with my Nexus One.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2011
In message <4d67306f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?

>
> Haven't seen that problem with my Nexus One.


Interesting, because the Google-branded phones are made by HTC.
 
Reply With Quote
 
trueone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2011

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:ik7g79$vt2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <4d67306f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?

>>
>> Haven't seen that problem with my Nexus One.

>
> Interesting, because the Google-branded phones are made by HTC.


I dont have that problem on my HTC Desire HD either

 
Reply With Quote
 
Another Me
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2011
On 25/02/11 2:34 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>
> Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?


Nope. But HTC is a low cost manufacturer, so they could be using
cheaper components.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2011
In message <4d67306f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Is this an issue with capacitive touchscreens generally?

>
> Haven't seen that problem with my Nexus One.


I have it currently plugged into my PC via USB, and the light indicates it’s
charging. But the touchscreen works fine.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2011
Figured out how to view HTML files in local storage via the Web browser
(which I assume is Chrome). If the file is on the SD card, then use a URL
beginning “file://sdcard/...”. You have to put in the full pathname, it
doesn’t seem to have any directory-browing ability.

Typically I put things in the Download directory on the SD card if I’m not
sure where else to put them. I’ve already successfully used QuickOffice to
open a Microsoft Word-format document that I had copied to there from
LibreOffice Writer.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2011
I just noticed that the charger has “BlackBerry™ Research In Motion Limited”
written on it. Some mixup at the depot?

Seemed to plug in and charge OK, though. I guess that proves the era of
universal chargers has actually arrived.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2011
On 26/02/11 22:40, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
> Figured out how to view HTML files in local storage via the Web
> browser (which I assume is Chrome). If the file is on the SD card,
> then use a URL beginning “file://sdcard/...”. You have to put in the
> full pathname, it doesn’t seem to have any directory-browsing
> ability.
>

Chrome does, out of the box. Whatever stripped down version of Chrome
you have may not, of course. What happens when you connect the phone to
a proper computer via USB or whatever? That should let you browse
directories.
>
> Typically I put things in the Download directory on the SD card if
> I’m not sure where else to put them. I’ve already successfully used
> QuickOffice to open a Microsoft Word-format document that I had
> copied to there from LibreOffice Writer.
>

You are opening Word documents on a phone? That's sad, really sad.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2011
On 27/02/11 00:07, Suzie Wong wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 22:40:26 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> Figured out how to view HTML files in local storage via the Web
>> browser (which I assume is Chrome). If the file is on the SD card,
>> then use a URL beginning file://sdcard/.... You have to put in
>> the full pathname, it doesnt seem to have any directory-browing
>> ability.
>>
>> Typically I put things in the Download directory on the SD card if
>> Im not sure where else to put them. Ive already successfully used
>> QuickOffice to open a Microsoft Word-format document that I had
>> copied to there from LibreOffice Writer.

>
> Why not Try Opera Mobile, its the Top Mobile version in use.
>
> http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/
>

Just because more people use doesn't mean that it is anything but crap,
like the full version.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccol di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desire to get into Microsoft MCSD 3 11-03-2004 04:29 PM
how to make panel control display in its desire position Joe Au ASP .Net 2 08-08-2004 01:41 AM
Cannot redirect to desire page Grey ASP .Net 1 08-03-2004 12:04 PM
What? No "Wings of Desire" chatter? Jordan Lund DVD Video 1 07-04-2003 01:01 AM
MCSE 2000, CCNA desire to jobs Paolo Garcia MCSE 6 07-03-2003 01:02 PM



Advertisments