Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Hyperlinks in the old ansi.c.txt file

Hyperlinks in the old ansi.c.txt file

Ben Bacarisse

I was recently using the widely available text file ansi.c.txt to check
something or other and I started to get annoyed at how hard it was to
read and navigate. I therefore made myself an HTML version that makes
many of the obvious items into links.

I found it useful enough this I thought it worth posting a link here:

http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c
http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c-one-file

(The second version has the styles in-line so it can be used locally
without reference to a web server.)

The text file had a number of obvious errors (I can only comment on
obvious ones since I don't have any official version to check against)
most noticeably that the collected syntax in appendix A was missing all
the non-terminal headings. I was able to fix this because the syntax is
duplicated in the main body of the text. A couple of other minor
corrections could obviously be made, but I am sure there are others. Of
course, I may also have introduced some of my own since the processing
is not trivial.

--
Ben.

Jens Thoms Toerring

Ben Bacarisse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was recently using the widely available text file ansi.c.txt to check
> something or other and I started to get annoyed at how hard it was to
> read and navigate. I therefore made myself an HTML version that makes
> many of the obvious items into links.

> I found it useful enough this I thought it worth posting a link here:

> http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c
> http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c-one-file

> (The second version has the styles in-line so it can be used locally
> without reference to a web server.)

Thank you for sharing, that can be very helpful!

Best regards, Jens

Peter Nilsson

Ben Bacarisse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was recently using the widely available text file
> ansi.c.txt to check something or other and I started
> to get annoyed at how hard it was to read and navigate.
>*I therefore made myself an HTML version that makes
> many of the obvious items into links.
>
> I found it useful enough this I thought it worth posting
> a link here:
>
> *http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c
> *http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c-one-file

<snip>

Excellent work! Thanks for taking the time and sharing!

--
Peter

Keith Thompson

> I was recently using the widely available text file ansi.c.txt to check
> something or other and I started to get annoyed at how hard it was to
> read and navigate. I therefore made myself an HTML version that makes
> many of the obvious items into links.
>
> I found it useful enough this I thought it worth posting a link here:
>
> http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c
> http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c-one-file
>
> (The second version has the styles in-line so it can be used locally
> without reference to a web server.)
>
> The text file had a number of obvious errors (I can only comment on
> obvious ones since I don't have any official version to check against)
> most noticeably that the collected syntax in appendix A was missing all
> the non-terminal headings. I was able to fix this because the syntax is
> duplicated in the main body of the text. A couple of other minor
> corrections could obviously be made, but I am sure there are others. Of
> course, I may also have introduced some of my own since the processing
> is not trivial.

Thanks for this.

Just so everyone is clear, "ansi.c.txt" is a pre-standard draft
of C89. I'm not sure exactly what changed between ansi.c.txt and
the final ANSI C89 document. (ANSI C89 and ISO C90 are essentially
identical, with some added introductory material and a renumbering
of the sections.) It doesn't reflect any of the changes added by
C95 or C99.

The best (for most purposes) source for the current official C standard
is <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf>.

Nokia

MartinBroadhurst

On Feb 22, 12:31*am, Ben Bacarisse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was recently using the widely available text file ansi.c.txt to check
> something or other and I started to get annoyed at how hard it was to
> read and navigate. *I therefore made myself an HTML version that makes
> many of the obvious items into links.
>
> I found it useful enough this I thought it worth posting a link here:
>
> *http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c
> *http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c-one-file
>
> (The second version has the styles in-line so it can be used locally
> without reference to a web server.)
>
> The text file had a number of obvious errors (I can only comment on
> obvious ones since I don't have any official version to check against)
> most noticeably that the collected syntax in appendix A was missing all
> the non-terminal headings. *I was able to fix this because the syntax is
> duplicated in the main body of the text. *A couple of other minor
> corrections could obviously be made, but I am sure there are others. *Of
> course, I may also have introduced some of my own since the processing
> is not trivial.
>
> --
> Ben.

Thank you for this. One suggestion: could you use &larr; and &rarr;
for the previous and next navigation arrows? An up arrow usually
navigates up the document hierarchy towards the TOC, and I have never
seen a down arrow used in this way.

Martin

getting the name of hyperlinks in a file CSUIDL PROGRAMMEr Python 1 01-15-2007 10:18 AM
new hard disk on old, old pc Deano Computer Support 5 10-21-2005 12:32 PM
old printer and old WP in Windows XP? lu Computer Support 6 01-14-2005 02:18 PM
Old Mountain... Old Machines... Seymore Digital Photography 1 12-03-2003 04:25 AM
old sony fd91 finally dying - old age? lefty Digital Photography 5 10-26-2003 05:53 PM

Advertisments