Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Flashing lights on C2924-XL-EN

Flashing lights on C2924-XL-EN

Michael T. Davis

An old Cisco 2924XL-EN switch recently failed here on me. Upon
applying power, all the LEDs (for both switch status and port status) flash on
and off simultaneously, over and over again. This happens almost immediately;
the console doesn't show anything. I couldn't find anything via Google
describing this behavior. Does anyone know what this indicates (aside from,
"get a new switch" ?

Thanks,
Mike
--
| Manager for Networking, Admin.
Michael T. Davis (Mike) | & Research Computing: CBE/MSE
http://www.ecr6.ohio-state.edu/~davism/ | The Ohio State University
| 197 Watts, (614) 292-6928
** E-mail is the best way to contact me **

Doug McIntyre

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) writes:
> An old Cisco 2924XL-EN switch recently failed here on me. Upon
>applying power, all the LEDs (for both switch status and port status) flash on
>and off simultaneously, over and over again. This happens almost immediately;
>the console doesn't show anything. I couldn't find anything via Google
>describing this behavior. Does anyone know what this indicates (aside from,
>"get a new switch" ?

Get a new switch.

It means that boot flash or RAM is bad, and both are soldered onto the
motherboard for that model.

Michael T. Davis

In article <4d62e931$0$87581$(E-Mail Removed)> , Doug McIntyre
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) writes:
>> An old Cisco 2924XL-EN switch recently failed here on me. Upon
>>applying power, all the LEDs (for both switch status and port status) flash

> on
>>and off simultaneously, over and over again. This happens almost

> immediately;
>>the console doesn't show anything. I couldn't find anything via Google
>>describing this behavior. Does anyone know what this indicates (aside from,
>>"get a new switch" ?

>Get a new switch.
>
>It means that boot flash or RAM is bad, and both are soldered onto the
>motherboard for that model.

Thanks for the information. Is this documented authoritatively
somewhere accessible (online)?

Regards,
Mike
--
| Manager for Networking, Admin.
Michael T. Davis (Mike) | & Research Computing: CBE/MSE
http://www.ecr6.ohio-state.edu/~davism/ | The Ohio State University
| 197 Watts, (614) 292-6928
** E-mail is the best way to contact me **

Doug McIntyre

(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu (Michael T. Davis) writes:
> Thanks for the information. Is this documented authoritatively
>somewhere accessible (online)?

No, just experience with piles and piles of the things.
They seemed to be suspectable to ESD too easily in my view.
I replaced many while they were still current.