Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Siemens C475/685 POT's connection?

Re: Siemens C475/685 POT's connection?

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Anti-Spam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Does the Siemens C475/685 have a POT's connection, on the base unit?
>Could not see one on the Instruction Manual I downloaded.

Yes. See pages 14-16 of the user guide for the C475IP.

Gordon

Paulg0

"Anti-Spam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:00:34 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>Anti-Spam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Does the Siemens C475/685 have a POT's connection, on the base unit?
>>>Could not see one on the Instruction Manual I downloaded.

>>Yes. See pages 14-16 of the user guide for the C475IP.
>>
>>Gordon

> Sorry I asked the question wrongly, I mean't can you plug a standard
> analogue phone into the base station and then the base station into
> the fixed telephone line. The base station will be in my home office,
> where I have a nice wired desk (analogue) phone already, I only really
> need a cordless phone for around the house.

If you mean you want to plug a phone into the base station to take advantage
of the VOIP functions then no it doesn't. Your only option is to get an ATA
and standard cordless phone and plug that into the ATA along with your
regular desk phone. Personally i would dump the desk phone and go all
cordless.....

Paul

News Reader

"Anti-Spam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 19:29:52 -0000, "Paulg0"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Anti-Spam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Sorry I asked the question wrongly, I mean't can you plug a standard
>>> analogue phone into the base station and then the base station into
>>> the fixed telephone line. The base station will be in my home office,
>>> where I have a nice wired desk (analogue) phone already, I only really
>>> need a cordless phone for around the house.

>>If you mean you want to plug a phone into the base station to take
>>advantage
>>of the VOIP functions then no it doesn't. Your only option is to get an
>>ATA
>>and standard cordless phone and plug that into the ATA along with your
>>regular desk phone. Personally i would dump the desk phone and go all
>>cordless.....
>>
>>Paul

> Being old and stupid, I prefer the big screen and extensive phone book
> listing and 1 button short cut's my desk top phone has. I currently
> run a Linksys SPA3102 wired into the house phone system, which allows
> me to use my desk phone etc, but the SPA3102 suffers from echo not
> only on the VOIP connections, but more annoyingly on the Analogue
> phones as well (why?), this is why I was thinking of changing over to
> the Siemens Gigaset kit.

Hi,

Your echo issues may be due or related to settings and configuration (e.g.
line impedance, regionalisation, silence suppression, echo cancellation,
etc., etc.) or to manufacturer / hardware tolerance or quality (design)
issues. Some devices are much better than others, in other cases they simply
require more custom configuration (some may be delivered pre-configured to
work better in some global regions / configuration environments than others,
etc.).

Best wishes,

News Reader

Steve Hayes

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:39:55 +0100, Anti-Spam wrote:

[snip]
> but the SPA3102 suffers from echo not only on the
> VOIP connections, but more annoyingly on the Analogue phones as well
> (why?), this is why I was thinking of changing over to the Siemens
> Gigaset kit.

I've never particularly noticed echo on VOIP connections but the SPA3102
has always suffered from echoes on POTS (analogue) pass-through calls.
This is because of an idiotic design choice - these calls are handled
with a VOIP connection internally in the device instead of just being
switched through. It's the biggest failing of the SPA3102 - a shame
because there's so much to like about it.

Current firmware is much better at suppressing the echoes than older
versions were but they still pop up from time to time and can be really
LOUD. I think (though I'm not sure of this) that calls where the far end
is a mobile are the worst ones.

Ignore advice about tweaking gains, impedances, etc. As a former designer
of analogue phone equipment, I'd expect any improvement to be pretty
marginal for fundamental reasons and, in my actual experience, it doesn't
do much good at all. The echoes come and go. You can change something and
think its fixed the problem but that's just chance. Next call, they may
return as loud as ever.

Turning on all the echo suppression options together does help but it'll
quickly drive you nuts since you can't interrupt a caller who's in full
flow.

Make sure your SPA3102 firmware is up to date. If it is and you still
can't stand the echoes, a different device is your best bet.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK - remove colours from address

Paulg0

"Steve Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ik1f7p$2qfp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:39:55 +0100, Anti-Spam wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> but the SPA3102 suffers from echo not only on the
>> VOIP connections, but more annoyingly on the Analogue phones as well
>> (why?), this is why I was thinking of changing over to the Siemens
>> Gigaset kit.

> I've never particularly noticed echo on VOIP connections but the SPA3102
> has always suffered from echoes on POTS (analogue) pass-through calls.
> This is because of an idiotic design choice - these calls are handled
> with a VOIP connection internally in the device instead of just being
> switched through. It's the biggest failing of the SPA3102 - a shame
> because there's so much to like about it.
>
> Current firmware is much better at suppressing the echoes than older
> versions were but they still pop up from time to time and can be really
> LOUD. I think (though I'm not sure of this) that calls where the far end
> is a mobile are the worst ones.
>
> Ignore advice about tweaking gains, impedances, etc. As a former designer
> of analogue phone equipment, I'd expect any improvement to be pretty
> marginal for fundamental reasons and, in my actual experience, it doesn't
> do much good at all. The echoes come and go. You can change something and
> think its fixed the problem but that's just chance. Next call, they may
> return as loud as ever.
>
> Turning on all the echo suppression options together does help but it'll
> quickly drive you nuts since you can't interrupt a caller who's in full
> flow.
>
> Make sure your SPA3102 firmware is up to date. If it is and you still
> can't stand the echoes, a different device is your best bet.

There is a guide for reducing echo here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80a359cc.shtml

Paul

Steve Hayes

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 23:06:59 +0000, Paulg0 wrote:

> "Steve Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ik1f7p$2qfp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:39:55 +0100, Anti-Spam wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> but the SPA3102 suffers from echo not only on the VOIP connections,
>>> but more annoyingly on the Analogue phones as well (why?), this is why
>>> I was thinking of changing over to the Siemens Gigaset kit.

[snip]
> There is a guide for reducing echo here:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10024/

products_qanda_item09186a0080a359cc.shtml

> Paul

Thanks Paul.

However... Been there, done all that, made no bloody difference.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK - remove colours from address