Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New Download Manager - a backward step?

New Download Manager - a backward step?

Mike

Just downloaded SP1 for Windows 7.

Before this I used the "File transfer manager" which was very good, I
could schedule all downloads and limit the number of downloads at the
same time.

The new one is irritating, a new window pops up for every download and I
cannot automatically limit the concurrent downloads.

Has anyone found a way to use the old DLM instead of the new one?

Mike

Bill Sharpe

+1.

I was about to send the same comments. The new DLM is definitely a step
backwards.

--
_________________

BullDawg
In God We Trust
_________________
news:ijqtna$hbs$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Just downloaded SP1 for Windows 7.
>
> Before this I used the "File transfer manager" which was very good, I
> could schedule all downloads and limit the number of downloads at the same
> time.
>
> The new one is irritating, a new window pops up for every download and I
> cannot automatically limit the concurrent downloads.
>
> Has anyone found a way to use the old DLM instead of the new one?
>
> Mike

Charlie Russel-MVP

This isn't Microsoft's download manager, but Akami's. If you'll notice,
you're not downloading directly from MS, but from the Akami servers. Because
of the expected demand, MS offloaded to Akami for this download. I expect it
to revert to MS servers after the initial rush is over.

But I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the Akami DL manager. OTOH, having MS
offload hyper-popular downloads like this is definitely better for everyone.

--
Charlie.
http://blog.msmvps.com/Russel

"Bill Sharpe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ijs9ub$dms$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> +1.
>
> I was about to send the same comments. The new DLM is definitely a step
> backwards.
>
> --
> _________________
>
> BullDawg
> In God We Trust
> _________________
> news:ijqtna$hbs$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Just downloaded SP1 for Windows 7.
>>
>> Before this I used the "File transfer manager" which was very good, I
>> could schedule all downloads and limit the number of downloads at the
>> same time.
>>
>> The new one is irritating, a new window pops up for every download and I
>> cannot automatically limit the concurrent downloads.
>>
>> Has anyone found a way to use the old DLM instead of the new one?
>>
>> Mike

Dave Warren

In message <ijtv1n$u7e$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org> "Charlie
Russel-MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:

>This isn't Microsoft's download manager, but Akami's. If you'll notice,
>you're not downloading directly from MS, but from the Akami servers. Because
>of the expected demand, MS offloaded to Akami for this download. I expect it
>to revert to MS servers after the initial rush is over.
>
>But I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the Akami DL manager. OTOH, having MS
>offload hyper-popular downloads like this is definitely better for everyone.

Sure, but a company the size of Microsoft (or Akami, for that matter)
should be capable of delivering straight up HTTP downloads as well.

The MAPS website has pushed the Akami downloader since they started
offering downloads, with most downloads requiring it with a "Not all
browsers can handle downloading large files", which is a special joke
since only IE works on the MAPS site since it returns malformed code to
non-IE browsers.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done. Personally I just run
the Akami downloader in a VM so I don't have to worry about whatever
vulnerabilities it's installation adds to IE.