Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Too Much Talent + Too Much Demand = ?

Too Much Talent + Too Much Demand = ?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I’m having trouble understanding what exactly is the problem this item is
trying to explain
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/technology-job-boards-have-failed-recruiters-and-job-seekers/44998>.
Are there too few good candidates in the pool? Are potential employers being
over-selective? Are the recruiters simply not doing a good job? Are there
too few recruiters?

JohnO

On Feb 18, 2:16*pm, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> >Im having trouble understanding what exactly is the problem this item is
> >trying to explain
> ><http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/technology-job-boards-have-failed-recru....>.
> >Are there too few good candidates in the pool? Are potential employers being
> >over-selective? Are the recruiters simply not doing a good job? Are there
> >too few recruiters?

> I read it earlier today and it was as clear as mud to me.
> Tony

I find there's a shortage of experienced, quality talent in the
technical IT sector. At least in the ERP sphere I work in.

Ted

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:59:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Im having trouble understanding what exactly is the problem this item is
>trying to explain
><http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/technology-job-boards-have-failed-recruiters-and-job-seekers/44998>.
>Are there too few good candidates in the pool? Are potential employers being
>over-selective? Are the recruiters simply not doing a good job? Are there
>too few recruiters?

Sounds like HR finding excuses for their own incompetence.

Ted

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:50:50 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
dot nz> wrote:

>Ted <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:59:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>><(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>
>>>Im having trouble understanding what exactly is the problem this item is
>>>trying to explain
>>><http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/technology-job-boards-have-failed-recruiters-and-job-seekers/44998>.
>>>Are there too few good candidates in the pool? Are potential employers being
>>>over-selective? Are the recruiters simply not doing a good job? Are there
>>>too few recruiters?

>>Sounds like HR finding excuses for their own incompetence.

>Hmmmm. Modern management practice tends to using HR as consultants rather than
>to do the hiring. People Managers should make the final decision.

OK, so instead it sounds like the People Managers finding excuses for
their own incompetence.

Ted

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 21:44:32 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Allistar wrote:
>
>> wrote:

>> recruiters-and-job-seekers/44998>.

>>> Yes, maybe so. I am firmly of the opinion that provided the applicant
>>> tells the truth the employer has to accept a large part of the blame if
>>> they employ the wrong people.

>> Certain aspects of a candidates performance is difficult to tell ahead of
>> time.

The difficult area is where competence counts. A competent People
Manager should get the answer right more often than not.

> How they fit in with a team, how they work under pressure, what
>> their problem solving skills are like. These are hard to gauge, especially
>> since a) the candidate themselves will avoid saying things that make them
>> look bad and b) I find in IT particularly written or even oral references
>> are worth much.

>I mean "are not worth much". I have seen past employers give people glowing
>references as a way to get rid of them.

Enkidu

On 18/02/11 14:55, JohnO wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2:16 pm, Tony<lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>> Im having trouble understanding what exactly is the problem this item is
>>> trying to explain
>>> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/technology-job-boards-have-failed-recru...>.
>>> Are there too few good candidates in the pool? Are potential employers being
>>> over-selective? Are the recruiters simply not doing a good job? Are there
>>> too few recruiters?

>> I read it earlier today and it was as clear as mud to me.
>> Tony

> I find there's a shortage of experienced, quality talent in the
> technical IT sector. At least in the ERP sphere I work in.

Yes. There's a shortage of BAs and PMs and other similar roles. Testers?
No one ever presents themselves as a tester.

If you find a good PM hold onto him/her at all costs.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccol di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles