Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > another problem with modules

another problem with modules

Tim Hanson

Okay, I solved my problem with Python finding modules:

I put the following into a file in my home directory, on the good advice of
Andrea Crotti:

import sys
sys.path.append('/home/foo/mypath'

I named the file "~/pypath.py", so now, in idle:

import pypath

No errors.

I'm still getting a little frustrated loading modules. I typed the following
little test function into idle:

def intersect(seq1,seq2):
res=[]
for x in seq1:
if x in seq2:
res.append(x)
return res

intersect('spam','spmmer')

No big deal. Runs fine. Exited and re-entered idle,

import pypath
import intersect #the name of a file that contains the above short function.
intersect('spam','spmmer')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#2>", line 1, in <module>
intersect('spam','spmmer')
TypeError: 'module' object is not callable

Huh? Why doesn't this run when imported? More importantly, how do I
interpret this error message so that I can find the problem myself next time?