Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > First time using an API...

First time using an API...

Matty Sarro

This may be kind of a stupid question, so please be gentle.
I've only ever used most programming in the past when shell scripting
couldn't handle what I needed done. So, I rarely dabble with things
like API's, or even python-isms. I just program to get things done.

Well, that's about to change
I am in charge of deploying a platform to allow people across my
company to access a variety of crunched metrics using splunk. I need
to allow access into the data using Splunk's RESTful API, which is
implemented in both java and python. The thing is, I have no idea how
to do that. I've looked through some of the documentation, and it has
me start a pydoc server on the system but when i navigate to the page
it just shows listings of functions. The descriptions would be great,
except they don't really tell me a lot. For instance, nothing really
seems to say "fetchRecord(user_name) fetches all records matching a
particular user name". Further, how do I actually use the API?

I appreciate any of the pointers you can offer. Its a big part of this
project, but my minor knowledge in programming isn't helping me much
here.
-Matty

Cousin Stanley

Matty Sarro wrote:

> I am in charge of deploying a platform to allow people
> across my company to access a variety of crunched metrics
> using splunk.

For the convenience of others
that may not be familar with splunk ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splunk

http://www.splunk.com/

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being

Matty Sarro

Good point, pardon the assumption
I'm reading more about RESTful and it looks like its a web based API.
Oh well, I'll figure it out, I mean, my job depends on it, lol.