Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Small, Cheap, Voip Device

Re: Small, Cheap, Voip Device

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:07:50 +0000, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Looking for some suggestions.
>>
>>I have a Blackberry which does not come with a free native VOIP client -
>>that I am aware of anyway.
>>
>>I am looking for a small, light device (for travelling) that I can use
>>as a VOIP client.
>>
>>I guess something like an Ipod might be the answer, but I just wondered
>>if there were any other cheaper options. If the suggestion is a second
>>hand mobile phone, I would still not be using it as a mobile - as I have
>>my Blackberry, so it would not have a SIM card in. Would that still
>>allow the device to work as a VOIP client over wifi, or would I need a
>>SIM card in as well?
>>
>>Thanks for any suggestions.

>Thank you all for your suggestions to date.
>
>I should add that for connecting to a VOIP network, I will be wanting to
>use my Sipdiscount account. Also, I hope to be able to use private wifi
>networks (hotels etc.) rather than public ones.

An issue you might have on a public or private Wi-Fi network is that of
authentication. If they put up a landing page and invite you to login, you
might well be stuffed unless the phone provids you with a web browser. I
had one of the early UTStarcom Wi-Fi phones and while it was rubbish in
many way, it was even more rubbish when I needed to go via a login type
landing page as it simply couldn't cope.

So public or private, if it needs some sort of authentication, even if
it's free, you might well be stuck.

The soft-phones that run on spartphones can work because you'll use the
web browse in the smartphone to register with the gateway first.

Consider upgrading your mobile to andriod...

Gordon

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>I should add that for connecting to a VOIP network, I will be wanting to
>>>use my Sipdiscount account. Also, I hope to be able to use private wifi
>>>networks (hotels etc.) rather than public ones.

>>An issue you might have on a public or private Wi-Fi network is that of
>>authentication. If they put up a landing page and invite you to login, you
>>might well be stuffed unless the phone provids you with a web browser. I
>>had one of the early UTStarcom Wi-Fi phones and while it was rubbish in
>>many way, it was even more rubbish when I needed to go via a login type
>>landing page as it simply couldn't cope.
>>
>>So public or private, if it needs some sort of authentication, even if
>>it's free, you might well be stuck.
>>
>>The soft-phones that run on spartphones can work because you'll use the
>>web browse in the smartphone to register with the gateway first.

>Hi Gordon,
>
>I have a way around that if in an hotel and that is with some free
>software called Connectify (http://www.connectify.me/)
>
>Connectify is an easy to use software router for Windows 7 computers.
>After downloading and installing the lightweight application, Connectify
>utilizes your computers' built in Wi-Fi card to wirelessly share any
>available Internet connection: a cable modem, a cellular card, or even
>another Wi-Fi network. Other Wi-Fi enabled devices including laptops,
>smart phones, music players, and gaming systems can see and join your
>Connectify hotspot just like any other Wi-Fi access point and are kept
>safe and secure by password-protected WPA2 Encryption.
>
>So, once the laptop has authenticated, you can connect the wifi phone to
>the newly created software based network.

My way round it is to have a decent phone and not bother with all
this rubbish. I pick up my mobile, select GSM/3G or Wi-Fi. I make a
call. Sorted.

And since you need a Win7 laptop to do this, why not simply add a headset
to the laptop and make a VoIP call from that...

Gordon

alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Me chose the
tried and tested strategy of:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:31:41 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>And since you need a Win7 laptop to do this, why not simply add a headset
>>to the laptop and make a VoIP call from that...

> Sitting in a sunny garden somewhere in the South of France, I don't want
> to have to carry a laptop with me.

Well it was your idea in the first place.

19:31:59 up 1 day, 7:44, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.08
-- Andrew Crossley, ACS:Law, 13 August 2010