Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Malware

Malware

nof

I have unwisely fallen for mywebsearch (MWS)and now have it on 3
drives. I'm told it is malware and I cannot get the "right" prg to fix
it. Norton, and AVG free both come up with clean reports yet MWS is
still there on c\program(86) . MWS is not one of the 21 files on c
\program files! What does it all mean? It is over 30C in Paraparaumu
at 7pm maybe that is making it worse? Does it matter that MWS is
migrating? I don't like having it foisted on me but there are worse
things happening in Cairo or Port au Prince or Christchurch. I'll go
to lounge where the AC is on.

Any cool advice would be appreciated

Dave Taylor

nof <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
@o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

> I have unwisely fallen for mywebsearch (MWS)and now have it on 3
> drives. I'm told it is malware and I cannot get the "right" prg to fix
> it. Norton, and AVG free both come up with clean reports yet MWS is
> still there on c\program(86)

That type of program is not a virus and will not be found.
Use Spybot Search and Destroy.
or something similar.
http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/Malware_Help.htm

--
Ciao, Dave

Gordon

On 2011-02-13, Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> nof <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
> @o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com:
>
>> I have unwisely fallen for mywebsearch (MWS)and now have it on 3
>> drives. I'm told it is malware and I cannot get the "right" prg to fix
>> it. Norton, and AVG free both come up with clean reports yet MWS is
>> still there on c\program(86)

> That type of program is not a virus and will not be found.
> Use Spybot Search and Destroy.
> or something similar.
> http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/Malware_Help.htm

Malwarebytes

Dave Doe

In article <54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
@o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), nof says...

> I have unwisely fallen for mywebsearch (MWS)and now have it on 3
> drives. I'm told it is malware and I cannot get the "right" prg to fix
> it. Norton, and AVG free both come up with clean reports yet MWS is
> still there on c\program(86) . MWS is not one of the 21 files on c
> \program files! What does it all mean? It is over 30C in Paraparaumu
> at 7pm maybe that is making it worse? Does it matter that MWS is
> migrating? I don't like having it foisted on me but there are worse
> things happening in Cairo or Port au Prince or Christchurch. I'll go
> to lounge where the AC is on.

Malwarebytes will get rid of that (haven't we been here before?

And I think it installs - or more correctly *you* installed it, as an IE
addon. So look in Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs (tab),
Manage addons (button). While you are there, disable ALL other addons
that just don't look like they should be there - and if you are not
sure, disable anyway.

--
Duncan.

Enkidu

On 14/02/11 17:14, Dave Doe wrote:
> In article<54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
> @o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed), nof says...
>>
>> I have unwisely fallen for mywebsearch (MWS)and now have it on 3
>> drives. I'm told it is malware and I cannot get the "right" prg to
>> fix it. Norton, and AVG free both come up with clean reports yet
>> MWS is still there on c\program(86) . MWS is not one of the 21
>> files on c \program files! What does it all mean? It is over 30C in
>> Paraparaumu at 7pm maybe that is making it worse? Does it matter
>> that MWS is migrating? I don't like having it foisted on me but
>> there are worse things happening in Cairo or Port au Prince or
>> Christchurch. I'll go to lounge where the AC is on.

> Malwarebytes will get rid of that (haven't we been here before?
>
> And I think it installs - or more correctly *you* installed it, as an
> IE addon. So look in Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs
> (tab), Manage addons (button). While you are there, disable ALL
> other addons that just don't look like they should be there - and if
> you are not sure, disable anyway.

Even with Malwarebytes that is a hard one to remove.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Dave Doe

In article <4d58d3a0$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
Enkidu says...

> On 14/02/11 17:14, Dave Doe wrote:
> > In article<54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
> > @o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed), nof says...
> >>
> >> I have unwisely fallen for mywebsearch (MWS)and now have it on 3
> >> drives. I'm told it is malware and I cannot get the "right" prg to
> >> fix it. Norton, and AVG free both come up with clean reports yet
> >> MWS is still there on c\program(86) . MWS is not one of the 21
> >> files on c \program files! What does it all mean? It is over 30C in
> >> Paraparaumu at 7pm maybe that is making it worse? Does it matter
> >> that MWS is migrating? I don't like having it foisted on me but
> >> there are worse things happening in Cairo or Port au Prince or
> >> Christchurch. I'll go to lounge where the AC is on.

> > Malwarebytes will get rid of that (haven't we been here before?
> >
> > And I think it installs - or more correctly *you* installed it, as an
> > IE addon. So look in Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs
> > (tab), Manage addons (button). While you are there, disable ALL
> > other addons that just don't look like they should be there - and if
> > you are not sure, disable anyway.
> >

> Even with Malwarebytes that is a hard one to remove.

Never had a problem removing it. Malwarebytes, scan, reboot, done. Done
it lotsa times.

--
Duncan.

Craig Sutton

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In article <4d58d3a0$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
> Enkidu says...
>>
>> On 14/02/11 17:14, Dave Doe wrote:
>> > In article<54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
>> > @o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed), nof says...

>> > Malwarebytes will get rid of that (haven't we been here before?
>> >
>> > And I think it installs - or more correctly *you* installed it, as an
>> > IE addon. So look in Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs
>> > (tab), Manage addons (button). While you are there, disable ALL
>> > other addons that just don't look like they should be there - and if
>> > you are not sure, disable anyway.
>> >

>> Even with Malwarebytes that is a hard one to remove.

> Never had a problem removing it. Malwarebytes, scan, reboot, done. Done
> it lotsa times.

Simple to remove

Enkidu

On 15/02/11 04:19, Craig Sutton wrote:

> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> In article <4d58d3a0$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),

>>> Even with Malwarebytes that is a hard one to remove.

>> Never had a problem removing it. Malwarebytes, scan, reboot, done. Done
>> it lotsa times.

> Simple to remove

You were lucky.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

PeeCee

On 15/02/2011 9:39 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
> On 15/02/11 04:19, Craig Sutton wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> In article <4d58d3a0$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
>>> Enkidu says...

>>> Never had a problem removing it. Malwarebytes, scan, reboot, done. Done
>>> it lotsa times.

>> Simple to remove
>>

> You were lucky.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Haven't found MyWebSearch a problem to remove.

Add/Remove programs aka Progams and Features gets the bulk of it.
A follow up with the usual tools (Spybot, Malwarebytes, HiJack...) to
catch any registry entiries.

This page http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml gives a good
overview on its characteristics.
Also shows how to remove MyWebSearch and it's cousins.

If you want something that 'is' difficult to remove look to the 'Fake
Security Alert' malware that's floating around.
Very easy to get, hard to remove unless you know it's foibles and where
it is liable to secrete itself.

Best
Paul.

Enkidu

On 15/02/11 10:26, PeeCee wrote:
> On 15/02/2011 9:39 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
>> On 15/02/11 04:19, Craig Sutton wrote:
>>>
>>> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> Simple to remove
>>>

>> You were lucky.

> Haven't found MyWebSearch a problem to remove.
>
> Add/Remove programs aka Progams and Features gets the bulk of it.
> A follow up with the usual tools (Spybot, Malwarebytes, HiJack...) to
> catch any registry entiries.
>
> This page http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml gives a good
> overview on its characteristics.
> Also shows how to remove MyWebSearch and it's cousins.
>
> If you want something that 'is' difficult to remove look to the 'Fake
> Security Alert' malware that's floating around.
> Very easy to get, hard to remove unless you know it's foibles and where
> it is liable to secrete itself.

Actually I might have been thinking of that one. I can't keep up with
the Malware my son gets on his computer.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Malware Turning off NAV on boot fkasner Computer Support 7 02-19-2005 06:56 AM
Malware twitchy Computer Support 7 12-29-2004 09:14 AM
Malware Echuca Firefox 1 10-26-2004 07:09 AM
Malware Jaypie Computer Support 5 04-17-2004 03:43 AM
anti malware software EDWARD DOYLE Computer Support 3 04-15-2004 04:35 PM

Advertisments