Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > SPA3102 Not Reverting To POTS When Router Dies?

SPA3102 Not Reverting To POTS When Router Dies?

(PeteCresswell)

In general, I'm trying to set up something where, whatever dies,
the phones revert to POTS.

So far, it's looking pretty good.

- I've got 911 (USA emergency number) forced to POTS no matter
what

- If I power off the SPA3102, all calls go to POTS

- If I un-plug the Ethernet cable from the SPA3102,
all calls go to POTS.

So far so good.....

But if I yank the power plug on the router (simulating a power
failure), the SPA3102 does not seem to revert to POTS. Instead
it seems to be looking for the SIP, not finding it, and stopping
there.

Is it me? Or is that just the way it is?

Could there be some sort of dial plan syntax that says "If you
can't find the provider, Send the number to 'PSTN Line'"?
--
PeteCresswell

Andrew Gabriel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> In general, I'm trying to set up something where, whatever dies,
> the phones revert to POTS.
>
> So far, it's looking pretty good.
>
> - I've got 911 (USA emergency number) forced to POTS no matter
> what
>
> - If I power off the SPA3102, all calls go to POTS

That's simply a a relay dropping out and connecting the two ports
directly to each other.

> - If I un-plug the Ethernet cable from the SPA3102,
> all calls go to POTS.

Really?
I would expect POTS calls to work, and VoIP calls to fail.
What's your dialplan?

> So far so good.....
>
> But if I yank the power plug on the router (simulating a power
> failure), the SPA3102 does not seem to revert to POTS. Instead
> it seems to be looking for the SIP, not finding it, and stopping
> there.
>
> Is it me? Or is that just the way it is?

That's the way it is, AFAIK. It will give "Number Unobtainable" when
it times out (or immediately once the registration times out, if you
have configured it to only make calls if registered).

BTW, that's a network failure, not a power failure (SPA is still
powered).

> Could there be some sort of dial plan syntax that says "If you
> can't find the provider, Send the number to 'PSTN Line'"?

That doesn't happen for either VoIP or POTS.
You get NU if it can't route to the one the dial plan selects,
or NU even before dialing if both are not working.

--
Andrew Gabriel

(PeteCresswell)

Per Andrew Gabriel:
>> - If I un-plug the Ethernet cable from the SPA3102,
>> all calls go to POTS.

>Really?
>I would expect POTS calls to work, and VoIP calls to fail.
>What's your dialplan?

My dial plan - with the caveat that it's been evolving rather
intensely over the past several hours and I have not re-tested it
with the three failure conditions (VOIP box power, Ethernet
cable, network):

Mod4: - If number is only 10 digits, prefix it with "1"

(911<:@gw0>|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|011[2-9]x.)

(
911<:@gw0> | Force "911" to POTS
1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0 | Immediate dial for normal "1 + 10
digits" numbers
<:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxxS0 | If number is only 10 digits, prefix
it with "1"
011[2-9]x. Handle overseas dialing
)

I guess my backup strategy, then, will be to only hook the base
station of our six wireless phones into the SPA3102, leaving
the house's wiring (and the single old wall phone that's plugged
into same) directly connected to POTS.

That way, if things go South, somebody can still pick up the wall
phone and at least get to POTS.
--
PeteCresswell

Theo Markettos

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I guess my backup strategy, then, will be to only hook the base
> station of our six wireless phones into the SPA3102, leaving
> the house's wiring (and the single old wall phone that's plugged
> into same) directly connected to POTS.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but can you explain the circumstances you
might have a router power failure but not an SPA3102 power failure? If you
put them on the same socket on the same wiring spur, any power failure will
cause the SPA to fallback straight to POTS-only. Or are you in the habit of
turning off your router?

Theo

Andrew Gabriel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Per Andrew Gabriel:
>>> - If I un-plug the Ethernet cable from the SPA3102,
>>> all calls go to POTS.

>>Really?
>>I would expect POTS calls to work, and VoIP calls to fail.
>>What's your dialplan?

> My dial plan - with the caveat that it's been evolving rather
> intensely over the past several hours and I have not re-tested it
> with the three failure conditions (VOIP box power, Ethernet
> cable, network):

> Mod4: - If number is only 10 digits, prefix it with "1"
>
> (911<:@gw0>|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|011[2-9]x.)
>
> (
> 911<:@gw0> | Force "911" to POTS

Without the S0, it will wait for 3 seconds to see if you enter
any more digits because it is still also matching the third rule.
Also, without the S0, if you accidentally dialed 9111 in a panic,
it would wait for 10 seconds for the next digit, and then give
you number unobtainable when there wasn't one. On your POTS line,
9111 probably works fine (certainly the equivalent does in the UK),
and I think it should on the SPA if you put the S0 in (last digit
will just get lost).

The newer SPA firmware introduces an emergency number field (can't
recall exactly what it's called), but I've seen no description of
what it does, as the documentation all seems to be older.

> 1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0 | Immediate dial for normal "1 + 10
> digits" numbers
> <:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxxS0 | If number is only 10 digits, prefix
> it with "1"
> 011[2-9]x. Handle overseas dialing
> )
>
> I guess my backup strategy, then, will be to only hook the base
> station of our six wireless phones into the SPA3102, leaving
> the house's wiring (and the single old wall phone that's plugged
> into same) directly connected to POTS.
>
> That way, if things go South, somebody can still pick up the wall
> phone and at least get to POTS.

You can also use an unused prefix as an escape sequence to connect
you to POTS.

--
Andrew Gabriel

(PeteCresswell)

Per Theo Markettos:
>Perhaps I'm missing something, but can you explain the circumstances you
>might have a router power failure but not an SPA3102 power failure? If you
>put them on the same socket on the same wiring spur, any power failure will
>cause the SPA to fallback straight to POTS-only. Or are you in the habit of
>turning off your router?

You're right on the money. It's definitely a stretch.

But if there were something I could easily do (like correcting
some dumb mistake, or adding a little code to the dial plan) to
cover the possibility, I would have done it.

Aside from house-wide power failures, I've never had a router
fail - ever..... and as soon as I get the time, I am going to
move the SPA to the LAN closet right next to the router - and on
the same UPS.

--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell)

Per Andrew Gabriel:
>You can also use an unused prefix as an escape sequence to connect
>you to POTS.

Something like:

***<:@gw0>

?
--
PeteCresswell

Graham.

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Per Theo Markettos:
>>Perhaps I'm missing something, but can you explain the circumstances you
>>might have a router power failure but not an SPA3102 power failure? If you
>>put them on the same socket on the same wiring spur, any power failure will
>>cause the SPA to fallback straight to POTS-only. Or are you in the habit of
>>turning off your router?

> You're right on the money. It's definitely a stretch.
>
> But if there were something I could easily do (like correcting
> some dumb mistake, or adding a little code to the dial plan) to
> cover the possibility, I would have done it.
>
> Aside from house-wide power failures, I've never had a router
> fail - ever..... and as soon as I get the time, I am going to
> move the SPA to the LAN closet right next to the router - and on
> the same UPS.
>
> --
> PeteCresswell

I have the base unit for the DECT phones on the UPS too.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Steve

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:09:36 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Per Theo Markettos:
>>Perhaps I'm missing something, but can you explain the circumstances you
>>might have a router power failure but not an SPA3102 power failure? If you
>>put them on the same socket on the same wiring spur, any power failure will
>>cause the SPA to fallback straight to POTS-only. Or are you in the habit of
>>turning off your router?

>You're right on the money. It's definitely a stretch.
>
>But if there were something I could easily do (like correcting
>some dumb mistake, or adding a little code to the dial plan) to
>cover the possibility, I would have done it.
>
>Aside from house-wide power failures, I've never had a router
>fail -

[snip]

I have - an EDIMAX BR6104. The first one I had was dead on arrival
and the replacement lasted about 15 months then just died one day.