Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What’s The Oldest Web Page Around?

Reply
Thread Tools

What’s The Oldest Web Page Around?

 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2011
Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
<https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its page
info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2011
On 2011-02-12, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
><https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its page
> info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.


In answer to your header question, the first one created ;-
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Matty F
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2011
On Feb 13, 2:32 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
> <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its page
> info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.


I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
browser in about 1980,
 
Reply With Quote
 
Boots
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2011
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 00:06:54 -0800, Matty F wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2:32 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
>> <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its
>> page info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

>
> I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
> browser in about 1980,


Did you publish that software?

Did you publish documentation to enable people to create their own
browsers?

Were those pages publicly available?


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mgsr. Scooter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2011
On , , 13 Feb 2011 04:32:53 GMT, Re: What?s The Oldest Web Page Around?, Gordon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2011-02-12, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
>><https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its page
>> info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

>
>In answer to your header question, the first one created ;-


Why are you channelling David Murray? <G>

--
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor
to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Murray Symon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2011
Matty F wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2:32 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
>> <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its
>> page info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

>
> I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
> browser in about 1980,


Topper?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Matty F
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2011
On Feb 13, 10:00 pm, Boots <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 00:06:54 -0800, Matty F wrote:
> > On Feb 13, 2:32 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> >> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
> >> <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its
> >> page info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

>
> > I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
> > browser in about 1980,

>
> Did you publish that software?
>
> Did you publish documentation to enable people to create their own
> browsers?
>
> Were those pages publicly available?


I wrote a manual describing how to use two of the page creation
systems that I designed.One was used for a large nationwide network
for their data entry. Unskilled users could design screen layouts with
input fields and edit checks and automatic error messages.
The system was used by a large computer bureau so was not available to
the public. The internet was not available to the public in 1980 in
NZ.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Boots
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2011
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 01:44:41 -0800, Matty F wrote:

> On Feb 13, 10:00 pm, Boots <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 00:06:54 -0800, Matty F wrote:
>> > On Feb 13, 2:32 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>> > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> >> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
>> >> <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked
>> >> its page info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

>>
>> > I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
>> > browser in about 1980,

>>
>> Did you publish that software?
>>
>> Did you publish documentation to enable people to create their own
>> browsers?
>>
>> Were those pages publicly available?

>
> I wrote a manual describing how to use two of the page creation systems
> that I designed.One was used for a large nationwide network for their
> data entry. Unskilled users could design screen layouts with input
> fields and edit checks and automatic error messages. The system was used
> by a large computer bureau so was not available to the public. The
> internet was not available to the public in 1980 in NZ.


Cool. Interesting.

The Internet didn't exist until about 1989. However the precursor to the
internet - bulletin boards - was around. And FTP had been around since
the '70s.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2011
In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty F
wrote:

> I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
> browser in about 1980,


So you were only behind Doug Engelbart by about 15 years.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2011
On 13/02/11 17:32, Gordon wrote:
> On 2011-02-12, Lawrence D'Oliveiro<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
>> <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its page
>> info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

>
> In answer to your header question, the first one created ;-
>

Copies of the first web page abound. It goes
<html><head></head><body>Hello World</body></html>

And the second was
<html><head></head><body>404 - Page Not Found</body></html>

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccol di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYI: Pythons Were the Oldest Gods Doug.Fort@gmail.com Python 0 12-14-2006 07:09 PM
oldest laptop owners Toolman Tim Computer Support 25 10-05-2005 04:56 PM
Oldest Laptop owners Martik Computer Support 17 10-04-2005 05:16 AM
Oldest usable computer for development ? msswasstastic@aol.com HTML 6 06-13-2005 06:52 PM
open oldest unread message first, possible? Cloud Burst Computer Support 3 10-04-2004 04:34 AM



Advertisments