Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MPEG-LA Recruiting The Wolves

MPEG-LA Recruiting The Wolves

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

MPEG-LA is advertising for parties who think they have patents that may
impact on Google’s VP8 codec to join up for a new protection racket
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/first-legal-shots-fired-at-googles-vp8-codec/2992>.

They’ve previously made noises about the patent vulnerability of VP8. But
then, why run this campaign if they already know about patents that can be
used to threaten VP8? Clearly their current words ring hollow, which is why
they’re trying to get more ammo for a serious attack.

As if people who might already have such patents wouldn’t already know about
it. Or they wouldn’t know that a clever lawyer can make it LOOK like their
patents MIGHT be applicable—all they need is a credible enough threat that a
patent lawsuit won’t be dismissed by a judge outright; then the expense of
defending the case becomes so great that it’s easier to settle, even if
you’re sure you’ll prevail at the end of the trial.

peterwn

On Feb 13, 1:06*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> MPEG-LA is advertising for parties who think they have patents that may
> impact on Googles VP8 codec to join up for a new protection racket
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/first-legal-shots-fired-at-googles-vp8...>.
>
> Theyve previously made noises about the patent vulnerability of VP8. But
> then, why run this campaign if they already know about patents that can be
> used to threaten VP8? Clearly their current words ring hollow, which is why
> theyre trying to get more ammo for a serious attack.
>
> As if people who might already have such patents wouldnt already know about
> it. Or they wouldnt know that a clever lawyer can make it LOOK like their
> patents MIGHT be applicableall they need is a credible enough threat that a
> patent lawsuit wont be dismissed by a judge outright; then the expense of
> defending the case becomes so great that its easier to settle, even if
> youre sure youll prevail at the end of the trial.

And it is even worse that there is great scope for 'forum shopping' in
the USA (ie choosing a court likely to be the most sympathetic to your
claims).

Gordon

On 2011-02-12, peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 1:06?am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> MPEG-LA is advertising for parties who think they have patents that may
>> impact on Google?s VP8 codec to join up for a new protection racket
>> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/first-legal-shots-fired-at-googles-vp8...>.
>>
>> They?ve previously made noises about the patent vulnerability of VP8. But
>> then, why run this campaign if they already know about patents that can be
>> used to threaten VP8? Clearly their current words ring hollow, which is why
>> they?re trying to get more ammo for a serious attack.
>>
>> As if people who might already have such patents wouldn?t already know about
>> it. Or they wouldn?t know that a clever lawyer can make it LOOK like their
>> patents MIGHT be applicable?all they need is a credible enough threat that a
>> patent lawsuit won?t be dismissed by a judge outright; then the expense of
>> defending the case becomes so great that it?s easier to settle, even if
>> you?re sure you?ll prevail at the end of the trial.

> And it is even worse that there is great scope for 'forum shopping' in
> the USA (ie choosing a court likely to be the most sympathetic to your
> claims).

Yep, the U S of A, the great country they expect the rest of world to take
note and follow their example