Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: Stay with IPv4 internally

Re: Stay with IPv4 internally

bod43

I thought that this would have been a done deal
but it looks like it is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_transition_mechanisms
Some interesting looking links at the bottom.

"NAT64 is an mechanism to allow IPv6 host to communicate
with IPv4 servers

DNS64
Combined with NAT64, this allows hosts connected only via
IPv6 to access other hosts only connected by IPv4."

So these "solve" the *opposite* problem to the one posed
by the Original Poster.

i.e.
IPV6 internally and IPV4 on the internet.

Oh dear. If there is NO effective IPV6 externally and
IPV4 internally scheme there is going to be a
LOT of work for network guys for years to come.

I've not read this yet but the title sounds promising.
IPv6 Transition Tutorial by Cisco Systems
http://host.comsoc.org/freetutorial/cisco2/cisco2.html

Rob

bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Oh dear. If there is NO effective IPV6 externally and
> IPV4 internally scheme there is going to be a
> LOT of work for network guys for years to come.

Application-level proxies should not have too much trouble
with it. E.g. access the WWW via a proxy between your IPv4
company network and the IPv6 internet.

bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk

On 2月10日, 下午11時45分, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Oh dear. If there is NO effective IPV6 externally and
> > IPV4 internally scheme there is going to be a
> > LOT of work for network guys for years to come.

> Application-level proxies should not have too much trouble
> with it. *E.g. access the WWW via a proxy between your IPv4
> company network and the IPv6 internet.

Recently, an article in the world threatens us that IPv4 runs out..we
have to go to IPv6 era.....

So, IPv6 discussion seems to blossom now..this seems the business side
more than technical side...

Bosses have to think about the IPv6 right now....since they are now
worrying about this....IPv6 and IPv4 compatibility..

IPv6 NAT-PT is the workaround technique between IPv6 world & IPv4
world no matter it is good or not-so-good technique.