Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: EPD 7.0 released

Re: EPD 7.0 released

Eric Stechmann

Hi, son.

Don't know if this would be of any interest to you. Well, I suppose it does provide some interesting.

I hope your physical get-together will help out.

Love you, David.

Dad

On Feb 9, 2011, at 8:13 AM, Ilan Schnell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am pleased to announce that EPD (Enthought Python Distribution)
> version 7.0 has been released. This major release updates to
> Python 2.7, Intel Math Kernel Library 10.3.1, numpy 1.5.1, in
> addition to updates to many of the other packages included.
> Please find the complete list of additions, updates and bug fixes
> in the change log:
>
> http://www.enthought.com/EPDChangelog.html
>
> To find more information about EPD, as well as download a 30 day
> free trial, visit this page:
>
> http://www.enthought.com/products/epd.php
>

> About EPD
> ---------
> The Enthought Python Distribution (EPD) is a "kitchen-sink-included"
> distribution of the Python Programming Language, including over 90
> additional tools and libraries. The EPD bundle includes NumPy, SciPy,
> IPython, 2D and 3D visualization, and many other tools.
>
> http://www.enthought.com/products/epdlibraries.php
>
> It is currently available as a single-click installer for Windows XP,
> Vista and 7, MacOS (10.5 and 10.6), RedHat 3, 4 and 5, as well as
> Solaris 10 (x86 and x86_64/amd64 on all platforms).
>
> All versions of EPD (32 and 64-bit) are free for academic use. An
> annual subscription including installation support is available for
> individual and commercial use. Additional support options, including
> customization, bug fixes and training classes are also available:
>
> http://www.enthought.com/products/su...evel_table.php
>

> - Ilan
> --
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listi...-announce-list
>
> Support the Python Software Foundation:
> http://www.python.org/psf/donations/

sturlamolden

EPD is great, at least for scientific users. There is just one
installer, with everything we need, instead of struggling with dozens
of libraries to download, configure and build. It is still Python 2.7
(not 3.1) due to libraries like SciPy. A subscription for EPD is also
a contribution to the development of NumPy and SciPy.

Sturla

On 10 Feb, 02:00, Eric Stechmann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, son.
>
> Don't know if this would be of any interest to you. * Well, I suppose it does provide some interesting.
>
> I hope your physical get-together will help out.
>
> Love you, David.
>
> Dad
>
> On Feb 9, 2011, at 8:13 AM, Ilan Schnell wrote:
>
> > Hello,

> > I am pleased to announce that EPD (Enthought Python Distribution)
> > version 7.0 has been released. *This major release updates to
> > Python 2.7, Intel Math Kernel Library 10.3.1, numpy 1.5.1, in
> > addition to updates to many of the other packages included.
> > Please find the complete list of additions, updates and bug fixes
> > in the change log:

> > * * * *http://www.enthought.com/EPDChangelog.html

> > To find more information about EPD, as well as download a 30 day
> > free trial, visit this page:

> > * * * *http://www.enthought.com/products/epd.php

> > About EPD
> > ---------
> > The Enthought Python Distribution (EPD) is a "kitchen-sink-included"
> > distribution of the Python Programming Language, including over 90
> > additional tools and libraries. The EPD bundle includes NumPy, SciPy,
> > IPython, 2D and 3D visualization, and many other tools.

> > * * * *http://www.enthought.com/products/epdlibraries.php

> > It is currently available as a single-click installer for Windows XP,
> > Vista and 7, MacOS (10.5 and 10.6), RedHat 3, 4 and 5, as well as
> > Solaris 10 (x86 and x86_64/amd64 on all platforms).

> > All versions of EPD (32 and 64-bit) are free for academic use. *An
> > annual subscription including installation support is available for
> > individual and commercial use. *Additional support options, including
> > customization, bug fixes and training classes are also available:

> > * * * *http://www.enthought.com/products/su...evel_table.php

> > - Ilan
> > --
> >http://mail.python.org/mailman/listi...-announce-list

> > * * * *Support the Python Software Foundation:
> > * * * *http://www.python.org/psf/donations/

Robert Kern

On 2011-02-13 10:40 , sturlamolden wrote:
> EPD is great, at least for scientific users. There is just one
> installer, with everything we need, instead of struggling with dozens
> of libraries to download, configure and build. It is still Python 2.7
> (not 3.1) due to libraries like SciPy. A subscription for EPD is also
> a contribution to the development of NumPy and SciPy.

I'd just like to jump in here to clear up this last statement as an Enthought
employee. While Enthought and its employees do contribute to the development of
numpy and scipy in various ways (and paying us money is a great way to let us do
more of it!), there is no direct relationship to the revenue we get from EPD
subscriptions and our contributions to numpy and scipy.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

sturlamolden

On 14 Feb, 01:50, Robert Kern <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'd just like to jump in here to clear up this last statement as an Enthought
> employee. While Enthought and its employees do contribute to the development of
> numpy and scipy in various ways (and paying us money is a great way to let us do
> more of it!), there is no direct relationship to the revenue we get from EPD
> subscriptions and our contributions to numpy and scipy.

But you do host the website, and several key NumPy and SciPy
developers work for you. And NumPy and SciPy would not have reached
the current maturity without Enthought. I know that you have
commercial insterests in the current restructuring of NumPy (such as
making it available for .NET), but it does help the development of
NumPy as well.

Enthought EPD also helps NumPy/SciPy indirectly, by making Python a
viable alternative to Matlab:

* Just having one big installer instead of 100 is why I'm allowed to
use Python instead of Matlab. Others might have to use my programs, so
the runtime cannot take a man year to install.

* A myriad of installers is a big deterrent for any scientist
considering to use Python.

* Intel MKL instead of reference LAPACK (actually lapack_lite) make
EPD very fast for matrix computations.

* It has a 64-bit version (as opposed to only 32-bit in the "official"
SciPy installer; that might have changed now.)

* We don't have to know which libraries are important and/or spend
time search for them.

* It comes with C, C++ and Fortran compilers (GCC) preconfigured to
work with distutils, link correctly, etc.

Sturla

Colin J. Williams

On 14-Feb-11 06:59 AM, sturlamolden wrote:
> On 14 Feb, 01:50, Robert Kern<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'd just like to jump in here to clear up this last statement as an Enthought
>> employee. While Enthought and its employees do contribute to the development of
>> numpy and scipy in various ways (and paying us money is a great way to let us do
>> more of it!), there is no direct relationship to the revenue we get from EPD
>> subscriptions and our contributions to numpy and scipy.

> But you do host the website, and several key NumPy and SciPy
> developers work for you. And NumPy and SciPy would not have reached
> the current maturity without Enthought. I know that you have
> commercial insterests in the current restructuring of NumPy (such as
> making it available for .NET), but it does help the development of
> NumPy as well.
>
> Enthought EPD also helps NumPy/SciPy indirectly, by making Python a
> viable alternative to Matlab:
>
> * Just having one big installer instead of 100 is why I'm allowed to
> use Python instead of Matlab. Others might have to use my programs, so
> the runtime cannot take a man year to install.
>
> * A myriad of installers is a big deterrent for any scientist
> considering to use Python.
>
> * Intel MKL instead of reference LAPACK (actually lapack_lite) make
> EPD very fast for matrix computations.
>
> * It has a 64-bit version (as opposed to only 32-bit in the "official"
> SciPy installer; that might have changed now.)
>
> * We don't have to know which libraries are important and/or spend
> time search for them.
>
> * It comes with C, C++ and Fortran compilers (GCC) preconfigured to
> work with distutils, link correctly, etc.
>

> Sturla

The purchase price for what, until now, has been open source and free
seems high.

Colin W

sturlamolden

On 14 Feb, 13:35, "Colin J. Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The purchase price for what, until now, has been open source and free
> seems high.

The price is not high compared to other tools scientists are using,
e.g. Matlab and S-PLUS.

If you consider to buy an MKL license from Intel only to build NumPy
and SciPy against "Intel Math Kernel Library" (MKL), EPD is a less
expensive option. You can get NumPy and SciPy built against MKL from
Enthought for less than the price of an MKL license -- MKL is $399,
EPD is $199. And on top of being cheaper, it saves us all the work
building and installing.

How much do you value your own time? Is the price high compared to the
time spent "doing it yourself"? How long does it take to configure and
build ATLAS on Windows, build NumPy and SciPy against ATLAS, and then
build Matplotlib against the ATLAS dependent NumPy? Have you seen the
number of posts on NumPy and SciPy mailing lists from people going
insane trying to build the libraries? Do you still think EPD is
expensive?

The libraries in EPS (except MKL) is still open source and free if you
want to mess with 100s of installers and/or build scripts.

Sturla

Robert Kern

On 2/14/11 5:59 AM, sturlamolden wrote:
> On 14 Feb, 01:50, Robert Kern<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'd just like to jump in here to clear up this last statement as an Enthought
>> employee. While Enthought and its employees do contribute to the development of
>> numpy and scipy in various ways (and paying us money is a great way to let us do
>> more of it!), there is no direct relationship to the revenue we get from EPD
>> subscriptions and our contributions to numpy and scipy.

> But you do host the website, and several key NumPy and SciPy
> developers work for you. And NumPy and SciPy would not have reached
> the current maturity without Enthought. I know that you have
> commercial insterests in the current restructuring of NumPy (such as
> making it available for .NET), but it does help the development of
> NumPy as well.

I just don't want people to get the impression that we are distributing the
proceeds from EPD sales to numpy developers in general or that purchasing EPD is
equivalent to donating to the numpy and scipy projects. If people want to do
that, there are plenty of grad student developers who would be happy to take
your money to work on numpy and scipy for a day or two. That's a more efficient
use of your money.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."