Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: DSLRs with inbuilt GPS

Re: DSLRs with inbuilt GPS

MC

bobwilliams wrote:

> Alfred Molon wrote:
> > Is there any specific reason why only one DLSR (the Sony A55)
> > currently has inbuilt GPS, while several compacts have inbuilt GPS?

> Probably to work out any bugs before putting the feature into their
> flagship products. Remember not so long ago only P/S cameras could
> take movies. DSLR folks considered it a passing fancy and a sure sign
> of a novice photographer. Now it is a "must have" feature on DSLRs.
> Bob Williams

Why is it a "must have". Not for everyone it isn't. I bought my DSLRs
for their still picture taking capabilities not for video. To me they
are an unwanted feature that never gets used. I would rather pay less
for the cameras and not had the video feature. After all I am not a
videographer. So, for me anyway, the video feature is yet another
gimmick.

MC

tony cooper

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 15:06:39 GMT, "MC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>bobwilliams wrote:
>
>> Alfred Molon wrote:
>> > Is there any specific reason why only one DLSR (the Sony A55)
>> > currently has inbuilt GPS, while several compacts have inbuilt GPS?

>> Probably to work out any bugs before putting the feature into their
>> flagship products. Remember not so long ago only P/S cameras could
>> take movies. DSLR folks considered it a passing fancy and a sure sign
>> of a novice photographer. Now it is a "must have" feature on DSLRs.
>> Bob Williams

>Why is it a "must have". Not for everyone it isn't. I bought my DSLRs
>for their still picture taking capabilities not for video. To me they
>are an unwanted feature that never gets used. I would rather pay less
>for the cameras and not had the video feature. After all I am not a
>videographer. So, for me anyway, the video feature is yet another
>gimmick.

Once again, it's shown that a "gimmick" is what we use to describe a
feature in which we do not have a personal interest.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

MC

tony cooper wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 15:06:39 GMT, "MC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > bobwilliams wrote:

> GPS? >>
> >> Probably to work out any bugs before putting the feature into their
> >> flagship products. Remember not so long ago only P/S cameras

> could >> take movies. DSLR folks considered it a passing fancy and a
> sure sign >> of a novice photographer. Now it is a "must have"
> feature on DSLRs. >> Bob Williams
> >
> > Why is it a "must have". Not for everyone it isn't. I bought my
> > DSLRs for their still picture taking capabilities not for video.
> > To me they are an unwanted feature that never gets used. I would
> > rather pay less for the cameras and not had the video feature.
> > After all I am not a videographer. So, for me anyway, the video
> > feature is yet another gimmick.
> >

> Once again, it's shown that a "gimmick" is what we use to describe a
> feature in which we do not have a personal interest.

It is also a feature that would not detract from normal functionallity
if it were not there.

MC

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, MC <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> > > Why is it a "must have". Not for everyone it isn't. I bought my
> > > DSLRs for their still picture taking capabilities not for video.
> > > To me they are an unwanted feature that never gets used. I would
> > > rather pay less for the cameras and not had the video feature.
> > > After all I am not a videographer. So, for me anyway, the video
> > > feature is yet another gimmick.

> > Once again, it's shown that a "gimmick" is what we use to describe a
> > feature in which we do not have a personal interest.

> It is also a feature that would not detract from normal functionallity
> if it were not there.

it would for the people who want that feature.

Peter N

On 2/9/2011 10:06 AM, MC wrote:
> bobwilliams wrote:
>
>> Alfred Molon wrote:
>>> Is there any specific reason why only one DLSR (the Sony A55)
>>> currently has inbuilt GPS, while several compacts have inbuilt GPS?

>> Probably to work out any bugs before putting the feature into their
>> flagship products. Remember not so long ago only P/S cameras could
>> take movies. DSLR folks considered it a passing fancy and a sure sign
>> of a novice photographer. Now it is a "must have" feature on DSLRs.
>> Bob Williams

> Why is it a "must have". Not for everyone it isn't. I bought my DSLRs
> for their still picture taking capabilities not for video. To me they
> are an unwanted feature that never gets used. I would rather pay less
> for the cameras and not had the video feature. After all I am not a
> videographer. So, for me anyway, the video feature is yet another
> gimmick.

For me it is also, now. When the kids were growing up I carried both a
still and movie camera on vacations. For some it enables a serious
photographer, who also wants videos of the kids to carry only one camera.
There is a definite market for the feature.

--
Peter

David J Taylor

> For me it is also, now. When the kids were growing up I carried both a
> still and movie camera on vacations. For some it enables a serious
> photographer, who also wants videos of the kids to carry only one
> camera.
> There is a definite market for the feature.
>
> --
> Peter

I find that an occasional short video clip can add a lot to certain
subjects, and help create a better impression of the atmosphere. Motor
racing and rolling seas come to mind.

David

Whisky-dave

On Feb 11, 10:45*am, Better Info <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:55:46 -0000, "David J Taylor"
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> For me it is also, now. When the kids were growing up I carried both a
> >> still and movie camera on vacations. For some it enables a serious
> >> photographer, who also wants videos of the kids to carry only one
> >> camera.
> >> There is a definite market for the feature.

> >> --
> >> Peter

> >I find that an occasional short video clip can add a lot to certain
> >subjects, and help create a better impression of the atmosphere. *Motor
> >racing and rolling seas come to mind.

> >David

> There is much in nature photography that can never be captured in a
> still-frame. Like the slowly rising mists out of a coniferous mountain
> forests in the morning light, looking for all the world as if the
> underbrush is ready to ignite into a full roaring forest-fire. The mating
> calls and displays of two members of a species in full courtship.

Yep, I've got some of those 'movies'

> The way
> that a mountain pinnacle will rip a string of clouds out of a clear sunset
> sky. How a burying beetle accomplishes burying a whole snake.

And there's those 'sporting' accidents, nothing quite like watching
those back in slow mo.

Peter N

On 2/11/2011 4:55 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>> For me it is also, now. When the kids were growing up I carried both a
>> still and movie camera on vacations. For some it enables a serious
>> photographer, who also wants videos of the kids to carry only one camera.
>> There is a definite market for the feature.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

> I find that an occasional short video clip can add a lot to certain
> subjects, and help create a better impression of the atmosphere. Motor
> racing and rolling seas come to mind.

I can see an emerging art form of mixed still and video, once we get
past the gee whiz shooters.

For my personal taste I like the challenge of making to make nature come
alive with a still image, which is frequently abstract. I believe that
less is more especially when something is left to the viewer's imagination.

YMMV
--
Peter

tony cooper

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:02:00 -0500, Peter N
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2/11/2011 4:55 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>>> For me it is also, now. When the kids were growing up I carried both a
>>> still and movie camera on vacations. For some it enables a serious
>>> photographer, who also wants videos of the kids to carry only one camera.
>>> There is a definite market for the feature.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter

>> I find that an occasional short video clip can add a lot to certain
>> subjects, and help create a better impression of the atmosphere. Motor
>> racing and rolling seas come to mind.
>>

>I can see an emerging art form of mixed still and video, once we get
>past the gee whiz shooters.
>
>For my personal taste I like the challenge of making to make nature come
>alive with a still image, which is frequently abstract. I believe that
>less is more especially when something is left to the viewer's imagination.

If that is what you believe, the Superzoom The Troll is the group's
best photographer.

--

On 2/11/2011 9:34 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:02:00 -0500, Peter N
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I find that an occasional short video clip can add a lot to certain
>>> subjects, and help create a better impression of the atmosphere. Motor
>>> racing and rolling seas come to mind.
>>>

>> I can see an emerging art form of mixed still and video, once we get
>> past the gee whiz shooters.
>>
>> For my personal taste I like the challenge of making to make nature come
>> alive with a still image, which is frequently abstract. I believe that
>> less is more especially when something is left to the viewer's imagination.
>>

> If that is what you believe, the Superzoom The Troll is the group's
> best photographer.

<G> Almost any statement will fail if carried to its driely logical
extreme.
However, I stated the viewer's, not the maker's imagination.

--
Peter
When taking a Rosarch test, it's not a good idea to say: "it looks like