Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Why I won't buy a Sony NEX yet

Re: Why I won't buy a Sony NEX yet

Rich

On Feb 10, 12:46*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Bowser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Bruce" *wrote in message
> >>There is a high-end NEX body on the way with features that will appeal
> >>to DSLR users. *Expect it Q4/2011. *I hope it doesn't slip beyond that
> >>date because Christmas 2011 sales will be crucial to its success.

> >>There will also be some high end lenses for NEX. *Hopefully there will
> >>be at least one Carl Zeiss lens this year which should do justice to
> >>the excellent sensor. *The 18-55mm kit zoom is absolutely
> >>atrocious ... unless you're happy with the quality of kit zooms, of
> >>course. *The 16mm pancake lens is even worse.

> >I must have a decent copy of the kit lens. While certainly
> >not up to the standards of Canon's L zooms or good primes,
> >it isn't bad. I have seen a few reviews of this lens and
> >they're all over the map. Likely a pretty wide sample
> >variation. The good news is that now that Sony has opened up
> >the specs the third party manufacturers will offer some
> >choices. I'd prefer to use a Sigma 17-70 OS lens, myself.
> >It's not bad at all. Or even the Sigma 18-125 OS. I think
> >either of those might be a good match for the NEX.

> These lenses are all likely to be comparable. *If that's all you need,
> you might as well buy one that you know and are happy with.
>
> I haven't tried the Sony 18-200mm but we have sold three or four and
> the customers seem happy with them. *That might be another option.
>
> >Anyway, my goal for the NEX was a substitute for those times
> >when my GD back acts up and I need to lighten up, and for
> >those times when I'm just taking snaps. Like later this
> >month in Harry Potter world and Disney. No way I'm lugging a
> >5D II down there.

> NEX is probably a better choice than any of the Panalympus Micro Four
> Thirds models. *The IQ of the sensor is superior to any Four Thirds
> sensor that has yet been offered, and by a significant margin, but the
> NEX lenses are a weak point. *

Yes, nothing like a low-noise images that is unsharp and aberrated.

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Feb 9, 8:14*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >Camera companies could ease their lens design/cost burden by shifting
>> >from the 3:2 format to 4:3. *Less cropping for print ads and things as
>> >well.

>> The bad penny makes its twenty millionth appearance.
>>
>> Very original, Rich. *Not.

>It's a matter of pure practicality, not esthetics. More published
>images match or are similar to the 4:3rds format than the 3:2 format.
>It's been that way forever.

The 20,000,001st appearance.

Morton Linder

Rich wrote:
> On Feb 9, 8:14 pm, Bruce<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Camera companies could ease their lens design/cost burden by shifting
>> >from the 3:2 format to 4:3. Less cropping for print ads and things as
>>> well.

>> The bad penny makes its twenty millionth appearance.
>>
>> Very original, Rich. Not.

> It's a matter of pure practicality, not esthetics. More published
> images match or are similar to the 4:3rds format than the 3:2 format.
> It's been that way forever.

I take pix with the highest quality setting on JPEG and the format with
the most pixels. I can always crop afterwards, if necessary.

Mort Linder