Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > paper computer for elementary school

paper computer for elementary school

nitrospectide

Way back in 1980, when I was a wee lad... my class went through some
exercises that taught basic programming logic using a very simple
cardboard thing that had little windows cut in it, and sliding tabs
that let you change the values that showed in the windows. "Programs"
were written in pseudocode and had you do simple operations where you
updated the values in variables (by sliding the tabs in the cutout
windows) and similar operations. It was a great way for little kids to
get their heads around important concepts.

Now, I have a young child and would like to find something like this
for her. Has anyone run across something like this?

James D Andrews

"nitrospectide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Way back in 1980, when I was a wee lad... my class went through some
> exercises that taught basic programming logic using a very simple
> cardboard thing that had little windows cut in it, and sliding tabs
> that let you change the values that showed in the windows. "Programs"
> were written in pseudocode and had you do simple operations where you
> updated the values in variables (by sliding the tabs in the cutout
> windows) and similar operations. It was a great way for little kids to
> get their heads around important concepts.
>
> Now, I have a young child and would like to find something like this
> for her. Has anyone run across something like this?

I' m not really sure what you mean, but if it's along the lines of what I'm
visualizing, you might find something similar in a teachers' supply store if
you live anywhere near a small city or larger. Most of the teachers' supply
stores I've seen are tucked away in strip malls or mini-malls.

You might also check with www.youngexplorers.com

and such.