Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pentax spec. silver ed. of the K-5 (paint?)

Pentax spec. silver ed. of the K-5 (paint?)

RichA

As far as I know, you cannot anodize cast magnesium. Unlike the old
brass top plates of SLRs, all metal DSLRs today are cast from
magnesium, at least the visible parts. Therefore, the camera must be
painted with some kind of silver paint. Silver paint is generally not
as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
camera carefully.

Rich

On Feb 8, 2:48*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2011-02-08 11:43:43 -0800, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > As far as I know, you cannot anodize cast magnesium. *Unlike the old
> > brass top plates of SLRs, all metal DSLRs today are cast from
> > magnesium, at least the visible parts. *Therefore, the camera must be
> > painted with some kind of silver paint. *Silver paint is generally not
> > as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
> > camera carefully.

> Just handle it as if it were coated in plastic.

Doubtful any copies will make it outside Japan.

John A.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 12:22:38 -0800 (PST), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Feb 8, 2:48*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> On 2011-02-08 11:43:43 -0800, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>> > As far as I know, you cannot anodize cast magnesium. *Unlike the old
>> > brass top plates of SLRs, all metal DSLRs today are cast from
>> > magnesium, at least the visible parts. *Therefore, the camera must be
>> > painted with some kind of silver paint. *Silver paint is generally not
>> > as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
>> > camera carefully.

>> Just handle it as if it were coated in plastic.

>Doubtful any copies will make it outside Japan.

It's listed for sale on the US site.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/

John A.

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 15:31:42 -0500, John A. <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 12:22:38 -0800 (PST), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

>>> Just handle it as if it were coated in plastic.

>>Doubtful any copies will make it outside Japan.

>It's listed for sale on the US site.
>http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/

Also three Limited silver lenses.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/

Rich

On Feb 8, 3:31*pm, John A. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 12:22:38 -0800 (PST), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

> >> Just handle it as if it were coated in plastic.

> >Doubtful any copies will make it outside Japan.

> It's listed for sale on the US site.http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/

That's good. They didn't release the modified grip for the K20D
outside Japan.

John A.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:53:21 +1300, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:43:43 -0800 (PST), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>As far as I know, you cannot anodize cast magnesium. Unlike the old
>>brass top plates of SLRs, all metal DSLRs today are cast from
>>magnesium, at least the visible parts. Therefore, the camera must be
>>painted with some kind of silver paint. Silver paint is generally not
>>as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
>>camera carefully.

>Magnesium can be both anodised and electroplated (though not both at
>the same time).
>
>See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizi...ized_magnesium
>
>and http://www.epi.com/pages/plating-on-magnesium
>There are other processes.

Judging from the pics on Pentax's K5 page at least some of the exposed
parts are stainless steel.

dj_nme

On 10/02/2011 10:06 AM, John A. wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:53:21 +1300, Eric Stevens
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:43:43 -0800 (PST), RichA<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I know, you cannot anodize cast magnesium. Unlike the old
>>> brass top plates of SLRs, all metal DSLRs today are cast from
>>> magnesium, at least the visible parts. Therefore, the camera must be
>>> painted with some kind of silver paint. Silver paint is generally not
>>> as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
>>> camera carefully.

>> Magnesium can be both anodised and electroplated (though not both at
>> the same time).
>>
>> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizi...ized_magnesium
>>
>> and http://www.epi.com/pages/plating-on-magnesium
>> There are other processes.

> Judging from the pics on Pentax's K5 page at least some of the exposed
> parts are stainless steel.

At least the strap lugs would be stainless, as they are part of the
"skeleton" or frame of the camera, which is made from stainless steel.
Most of the Pentax DSLR cameras are built that way.

Peter N

On 2/9/2011 3:53 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:43:43 -0800 (PST), RichA<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, you cannot anodize cast magnesium. Unlike the old
>> brass top plates of SLRs, all metal DSLRs today are cast from
>> magnesium, at least the visible parts. Therefore, the camera must be
>> painted with some kind of silver paint. Silver paint is generally not
>> as durable as the black paint used on DSLRs so I would treat this
>> camera carefully.

> Magnesium can be both anodised and electroplated (though not both at
> the same time).
>
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizi...ized_magnesium
>
> and http://www.epi.com/pages/plating-on-magnesium
> There are other processes.