Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > getting weird error trying to notepad a file

getting weird error trying to notepad a file

Lynn McGuire

"notepad dii.bat" refuses to open my dii.bat file and is giving
me a error message box, "Cannot read registry path". Does anyone
know what is going on here ? I am typing the notepad command
into a command prompt window.

Windows 7 x64 ultimate, Intel quad core, 8 GB ram.

Thanks,
Lynn

Jeff Layman

On 04/02/2011 18:44, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "notepad dii.bat" refuses to open my dii.bat file and is giving
> me a error message box, "Cannot read registry path". Does anyone
> know what is going on here ? I am typing the notepad command
> into a command prompt window.
>
> Windows 7 x64 ultimate, Intel quad core, 8 GB ram.

No idea. Has it worked ok before?

What happens if you right click the file and select "Send to Notepad"?

--

Jeff

Charlie Russel-MVP

any chance you've got a command prompt open that is 32-bit, and you're
trying to run 64-bit notepad? Or vice-versa? (actually, 32-bit notepad and
64-bit cmd prompt is more likely.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

"Lynn McGuire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iihhff$fcu$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> "notepad dii.bat" refuses to open my dii.bat file and is giving
> me a error message box, "Cannot read registry path". Does anyone
> know what is going on here ? I am typing the notepad command
> into a command prompt window.
>
> Windows 7 x64 ultimate, Intel quad core, 8 GB ram.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

VanguardLH

Lynn McGuire wrote:

> "notepad dii.bat" refuses to open my dii.bat file and is giving
> me a error message box, "Cannot read registry path". Does anyone
> know what is going on here ? I am typing the notepad command
> into a command prompt window.
>
> Windows 7 x64 ultimate, Intel quad core, 8 GB ram.

Back in the DOS days, an executable was found by looking in the current
(working) directory and, if not found, looking through the PATH
environment variable (in the order the directories were listed).
However, in NT-based versions of Windows, another method of finding
executables is to store their paths in the registry. See the "Search
Paths" section of http://www.tech-pro.net/intro_reg.html where the
entries are recorded under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App Paths

What's is peculiar in your case is that the C:\Windows\system32 path
should be included in the PATH environment variable. If you look in the
App Paths registry list, you won't see notepad.exe list. That's because
it should be found by looking through the PATH environment variable
(unless, of course, you happen to be in the C:\windows\system32
directory at the time you execute notepad.exe). If you run:

C:\Windows\system32\notepad.exe

does the program load okay? What if you run your own non-pathed command
line but include the .exe extension, as in "notepad.exe dii.bat"? It's
possible there is another executable, like notepad.com or notepad.bat,
that gets found (by PATH or registry app path) before finding the .exe
version. Always specify the full filename, including extension, to run
an executable. If the executable cannot be found in the current
directory (you didn't mention what it is in your command shell) or in
the PATH variable or in the registry app path entries then you need to
specify the full path to find the executable file.

The check what is the current value for the PATH environment variable
(both the user and system versions), run in a command shell:

echo %path%
or
set path (shows all env vars starting with "path")

In the PATH var, is C:\Windows\System32 listed? Is anything listed?

Lynn McGuire

On 2/4/2011 2:14 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
>> "notepad dii.bat" refuses to open my dii.bat file and is giving
>> me a error message box, "Cannot read registry path". Does anyone
>> know what is going on here ? I am typing the notepad command
>> into a command prompt window.
>>
>> Windows 7 x64 ultimate, Intel quad core, 8 GB ram.

> Back in the DOS days, an executable was found by looking in the current
> (working) directory and, if not found, looking through the PATH
> environment variable (in the order the directories were listed).
> However, in NT-based versions of Windows, another method of finding
> executables is to store their paths in the registry. See the "Search
> Paths" section of http://www.tech-pro.net/intro_reg.html where the
> entries are recorded under:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App Paths
>
> What's is peculiar in your case is that the C:\Windows\system32 path
> should be included in the PATH environment variable. If you look in the
> App Paths registry list, you won't see notepad.exe list. That's because
> it should be found by looking through the PATH environment variable
> (unless, of course, you happen to be in the C:\windows\system32
> directory at the time you execute notepad.exe). If you run:
>
> C:\Windows\system32\notepad.exe
>
> does the program load okay? What if you run your own non-pathed command
> line but include the .exe extension, as in "notepad.exe dii.bat"? It's
> possible there is another executable, like notepad.com or notepad.bat,
> that gets found (by PATH or registry app path) before finding the .exe
> version. Always specify the full filename, including extension, to run
> an executable. If the executable cannot be found in the current
> directory (you didn't mention what it is in your command shell) or in
> the PATH variable or in the registry app path entries then you need to
> specify the full path to find the executable file.
>
> The check what is the current value for the PATH environment variable
> (both the user and system versions), run in a command shell:
>
> echo %path%
> or
> set path (shows all env vars starting with "path")
>
> In the PATH var, is C:\Windows\System32 listed? Is anything listed?

Yes, my PATH is

"C:\bin>path
PATH=C:\WATCOM\BINNT;C:\WATCOM\BINW;C:\Windows\sys tem32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\Sy
stem32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\ v1.0\;c:\bin;c:\usr\bin;c:\dii
;w:\pmrs;w:\cvsnt;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\
WATCOM\BINNT;C:\WATCOM\BINW"

C:\Windows\system32\notepad.exe works !

I had a copy of notepad.exe in my c:\bin directory ! I have
no idea how that got there.

Sorry to bother you,
Lynn

Charlie Russel-MVP

That would do it!

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

news:iihqj0$j63$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...