Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > How to debug a problem with python crashing under windows

How to debug a problem with python crashing under windows

gelonida

Hi,

I have a python application, which occasionally crashes.

With crashing I mean, that windows pops up a screen saying, that
python.exe failed.
I do not have any usable trace on stdout / stderr.

What are the best means to analyze such errors?

Is there any way to get something like a core dump and to look at it
after the application died?

Thanks in advance for any idea.

Terry Reedy

On 2/4/2011 11:41 AM, Miki Tebeka wrote:
>> With crashing I mean, that windows pops up a screen saying, that
>> python.exe failed.
>> I do not have any usable trace on stdout / stderr.
>>
>> What are the best means to analyze such errors?

> You can use sys.excepthook to catch uncaught exceptions. See http://pythonwise.blogspot.com/2008/12/crashlog.html for example

There likely is no uncaught exception, since such should produce a
visible stack trace, certainly if the app is run from a Command Prompt
window.

Victor Stinner is working on a module for 3.3 that will try to catch
crashes and produce some report before everything is gone. It may be up
on PyPI before that.

--
Terry Jan Reedy