Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Re: VHDL and Sin

Re: VHDL and Sin

Oliver Mattos

What resolution/performance do you need?

I'd start with some kind of ROM as a lookup table. To do better than that you'll need to do lots of maths to come up with an iterative algorithm that can come up with the exact result using only basic functions (* + -).

Gerhard Hoffmann

Am 03.02.2011 18:20, schrieb Oliver Mattos:
> What resolution/performance do you need?
>
> I'd start with some kind of ROM as a lookup table. To do better than that you'll need to do lots of maths to come up with an iterative algorithm that can come up with the exact result using only basic functions (* + -).

I just have confessed my sin at opencores.org under arith/sincos.
If you can afford the block ram/rom you can use that as a starter.
Filling the table is in a function and is done in Pascal/C style
with floats.

regards, Gerhard

btw:
Is ISE12.4 able to synthesize sfixed/ufixed or are there surprises?

Gerhard Hoffmann

Ich mach mal die Ingrid:

<http://opencores.org/project,sincos>

Mike Treseler

On 2/8/2011 3:57 AM, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote:
> Am 03.02.2011 18:20, schrieb Oliver Mattos:
>> What resolution/performance do you need?
>>
>> I'd start with some kind of ROM as a lookup table. To do better than
>> that you'll need to do lots of maths to come up with an iterative
>> algorithm that can come up with the exact result using only basic
>> functions (* + -).

> I just have confessed my sin at opencores.org under arith/sincos.
> If you can afford the block ram/rom you can use that as a starter.
> Filling the table is in a function and is done in Pascal/C style
> with floats.

Nice example. Thanks for the link.
The opencores site is much improved since my last visit.

-- Mike Treseler

Re: VHDL and Sin Jonathan Bromley VHDL 6 02-09-2011 10:17 AM
Re: VHDL and Sin noobie VHDL 0 02-04-2011 08:58 AM
Re: VHDL and Sin Chris Maryan VHDL 0 02-03-2011 06:43 PM
why do I need ::sin, not std::sin? Alexander Stippler C++ 14 06-04-2004 11:09 PM
x.sin() versus sin(x) franky.backeljauw@ua.ac.be C++ 7 09-09-2003 11:24 AM

Advertisments