Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > WTF? Has the validator gone insane?

WTF? Has the validator gone insane?

richard

I have never before seen the validator get this damned nit picky.

Would you believe this simple line of code generates 3 errors?
1) general entity "B" not defined and no default entity
2) reference to entity "B" for which no system identifier could be
generated
3) entity was defined here

Now just how the sam hell are you supposed to make the validator happy when
using such text in this context?

I'm gonna frickin complain like hell about this crap.

richard

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 13:29:51 -0700, richard wrote:

> I have never before seen the validator get this damned nit picky.

> Would you believe this simple line of code generates 3 errors?
> 1) general entity "B" not defined and no default entity
> 2) reference to entity "B" for which no system identifier could be
> generated
> 3) entity was defined here
>
> Now just how the sam hell are you supposed to make the validator happy when
> using such text in this context?
>
> I'm gonna frickin complain like hell about this crap.

Ok so I researched and found that to make things happy, one must use
"&amp;".
Now the code validates without the errors.

dorayme

In article <dp363efao5gg$(E-Mail Removed)>,
richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have never before seen the validator get this damned nit picky.

> Would you believe this simple line of code generates 3 errors?
> 1) general entity "B" not defined and no default entity
> 2) reference to entity "B" for which no system identifier could be
> generated
> 3) entity was defined here
>
> Now just how the sam hell are you supposed to make the validator happy when
> using such text in this context?

Write &amp; instead of &

> I'm gonna frickin complain like hell about this crap.

It might be worth complaining, I have heard that there can be
therapeutic benefits. <g>

--
dorayme

richard

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 08:06:46 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> In article <dp363efao5gg$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have never before seen the validator get this damned nit picky.

>> Would you believe this simple line of code generates 3 errors?
>> 1) general entity "B" not defined and no default entity
>> 2) reference to entity "B" for which no system identifier could be
>> generated
>> 3) entity was defined here
>>
>> Now just how the sam hell are you supposed to make the validator happy when
>> using such text in this context?
>>

> Write &amp; instead of &
>
>> I'm gonna frickin complain like hell about this crap.

> It might be worth complaining, I have heard that there can be
> therapeutic benefits. <g>

yeah, I think I'm gonna bitch and whine royally with a 100 page
dissertation about myself to myself.

Though one time, I did do some complaining about a policy a company had I
was with at the time. I figured no one would read it. They did, and they
changed the policy.

I also made a comical note once in a forum about the improper use of a
sign, and guess what? The state changed the signs!

Doug Miller

In article <dp363efao5gg$(E-Mail Removed)>, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have never before seen the validator get this damned nit picky.

>Would you believe this simple line of code generates 3 errors?

Depending on your doctype, it could have generated at least one more...

>1) general entity "B" not defined and no default entity
>2) reference to entity "B" for which no system identifier could be
>generated
>3) entity was defined here
>
>Now just how the sam hell are you supposed to make the validator happy when
>using such text in this context?

By coding valid HTML, of course: "&amp;" instead of "&".

>I'm gonna frickin complain like hell about this crap.

And the substance of your complaint would be, I suppose, that it's W3's fault
that you don't know what you're doing?

Lewis

In message <dp363efao5gg$(E-Mail Removed)>
richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have never before seen the validator get this damned nit picky.

> Would you believe this simple line of code generates 3 errors?
> 1) general entity "B" not defined and no default entity

How many times must you be told to use &amp; ?

Stop being a total ****ing moron?

> I'm gonna frickin complain like hell about this crap.

Good luck with that.

--
The omnipotent eyesight of various supernatural entities is often
remarked upon. It is said that they can see the fall of every sparrow.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ed Mullen wrote:

> I shouldn't do this but I have to: How old are you, Richard?

RtS graduated from high school in 1969, according to his alumni web
site. His age could vary, though, depending on how many grades he was
held back ...

--
-bts

richard

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:18:35 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:23:06 -0500, Ed Mullen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> And now you're coming back here and patting yourself on the back for making thos
>>mistakes again and FINALLY figuring it out?

> Bullshit Bullis does that - all the time.
>
> Takes credit for other peoples answers, as if they're his own.
>
> He posted how he wears full dentures, and is in lots of pain (maybe
> that explains some things). He asked what would help his pain.
>
> I suggested a NSAID.
>
> About a week later, he says "I figured I'd try motrin, which is
> another name for ibuprofen."
>
> In another thread, he suggested someone just ignore the census takers.
> "It's not illegal to ignore them. They can't do anything if you don't
> fill out the census."
>
> I pointed out that it WAS indeed illegal to ignore the census.
>
> An hour later he 'corrects' himself.
>
>>I shouldn't do this but I have to: How old are you, Richard?

> He supposedly graduated in 69, but I have my doubts.
>
> He thinks Dubai is on the continent of Africa.

Proving once again you are a stalker and a troll.
Both keep and store information on their victims.

First, read the label on a Motrin bottle. It clearly states, "Ibuprofen".
Yes, I graduated in 1969. So what?
In my statement about Dubai, I never claimed it was on the continent of
Africa, YOU, and your dipshit friends are the ones who insist I said that.
A stalker, or troll, takes things out of context and uses them to benefit
and bolster his agenda towards his victim.

The people of Africa can't go snow skiing. So they go to Dubai.

This statement does not place dubai in africa.
Now what does your bitchin and whining about me have to do with the group
name?
Nothing. It's all about stalking. That is what you are.

richard

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 23:04:47 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> I shouldn't do this but I have to: How old are you, Richard?

> RtS graduated from high school in 1969, according to his alumni web
> site. His age could vary, though, depending on how many grades he was
> held back ...

So? You're going to be lucky to get out of high school before 2020.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I was not held back at all.
Now where's your highschool information at bubba? Put it up on the line and
become an open book like I am.

I'm not one to go hiding behind some ignorant made up nick as you are.

richard

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:03:13 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 21:54:09 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>So? You're going to be lucky to get out of high school before 2020.

> LOL...
>
>>Sorry to burst your bubble, but I was not held back at all.

> You obviously should have been.
>
>>Now where's your highschool information at bubba? Put it up on the line and
>>become an open book like I am.

> You're far from an open book, bullis.
>
> I think with you, people aren't going to give you their name or any
> more information.
>
> Especially after you, being the psychotic pedophile stalker you are,
> posted my home address and (then) work address, with a note of "I'm
> going to come to your work and kick your ass", I don't think anyone's
> going to tell you their real name or give them any proof of who they
> are.
>
>>I'm not one to go hiding behind some ignorant made up nick as you are.

> Said the guy who's so ****ing paranoid he doesn't live in one spot.

May your dainty feet forever trod in golden camel dung.
HAND, asshole.

"Seig Heil! Meinen Fuhrer. Seig Heil!"