Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 (64): wait for Service Pack 1, or update now?

Windows 7 (64): wait for Service Pack 1, or update now?

Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc talk-origins@moderators.isc.org

Hi, looking for well informed advice... I still have a new Windows 7
x64 computer - that isn't connected to the Internet yet.

My question: in the long term, is there a foreseeable technical
advantage from waiting for the real release of Windows 7 Service Pack
1, instead of going online now and getting all the Windows Updates one
by one?

Carlos

On 27 ene, 23:26, "Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc talk-
(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, looking for well informed advice... *I still have a new Windows 7
> x64 computer - that isn't connected to the Internet yet.
>
> My question: in the long term, is there a foreseeable technical
> advantage from waiting for the real release of Windows 7 Service Pack
> 1, instead of going online now and getting all the Windows Updates one
> by one?

Robert,
All pre-SP1 updates correct several issues with the original release
and patch security holes potential problems.
You may use the approach "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or, if you
have high speed Internet, download all the updates. It only takes a
while.
Carlos

Charlie Russel-MVP

If you want to use your computer on the internet, connect and use it,
grabbing the updates soonest.If you don't need to connect to the internet to
use the computer, then don't bother. There are, as always, lots of small
fixes in SP1, but there's no real change in functionality.

Honestly, there's no reason to wait.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

"Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, looking for well informed advice... I still have a new Windows 7
> x64 computer - that isn't connected to the Internet yet.
>
> My question: in the long term, is there a foreseeable technical
> advantage from waiting for the real release of Windows 7 Service Pack
> 1, instead of going online now and getting all the Windows Updates one
> by one?

Lynn McGuire

On 1/27/2011 8:26 PM, Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi, looking for well informed advice... I still have a new Windows 7
> x64 computer - that isn't connected to the Internet yet.
>
> My question: in the long term, is there a foreseeable technical
> advantage from waiting for the real release of Windows 7 Service Pack
> 1, instead of going online now and getting all the Windows Updates one
> by one?

I've been running Windows 7 x64 for over a year now with very
few problems. I had to upgrade my motherboard from a Intel
D975BX2 to a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P to get proper support for my
Intel 3 Ghz quad core cpu (the Intel MB only went to 2.66 Ghz
cpus but was working with x86). Other than that, I am extremely
happy with x64.

Of course, there is always the caveat that DOS16 and Win16 apps
do not work with x64. For that you can use www.dosbox.com .

Lynn

Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc talk-origins@moderators.isc.org

Thanks all for comments. I've also done some more reading elsewhere.

I was thinking mainly about the disadvantage of littering the hard
disk with partial updates to Windows even after installing a large
service pack update. Some people even claim that Windows loads each
updated file separately on top of the original version of Windows each
time you boot, but that doesn't seem to be what happens.

Instead, it seems, older versions of updated files /may/ accumulate
under the winsxs directory alongside the latest updates, /but/ a
Windows service pack in particular /usually/ includes the /option/ to
delete older versions of files. (A beta version might not.)

There also are various tools by Microsoft and third parties
specifically to throw out files of that sort that are no longer needed
i various Windows versions, although the tools mostly seem to be
arcane, unreliable, or withdrawn, partly because of being arcane and
unreliable.

Jeff Gaines

On 30/01/2011 in message
<(E-Mail Removed)> Robert
Carnegie: Fnord: cc (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I was thinking mainly about the disadvantage of littering the hard
>disk with partial updates to Windows even after installing a large
>service pack update. Some people even claim that Windows loads each
>updated file separately on top of the original version of Windows each
>time you boot, but that doesn't seem to be what happens.

Updates either replace or patch existing files, otherwise older programs
couldn't take advantage of them.
cCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download) will delete the
hotfix uninstallers.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Robert Carnegie

On Jan 28, 2:26*am, "Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc talk-
(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, looking for well informed advice... *I still have a new Windows 7
> x64 computer - that isn't connected to the Internet yet.
>
> My question: in the long term, is there a foreseeable technical
> advantage from waiting for the real release of Windows 7 Service Pack
> 1, instead of going online now and getting all the Windows Updates one
> by one?

Addendum, "Microsoft today [9th Feb. 2011] announced that Windows 7
SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 were released to OEM partners
today, and the updates will be available to consumers on February 22."
<http://www.betanews.com/article/Wind...ng-Feb-22-new-
Windows-Thin-PC-coming-Q1/1297287467>
says.