Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Network connection repair

Network connection repair

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 27/01/2011 11:52 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
>> In article<ihrdpr$im4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), ~misfit~ says...
>>>
>>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> .... which is why I'm very reluctant to go there myself.

>> Get used to it. Windows 7 is good. XP is old, bloated and has a
>> poor security model by default.

> I agree that W7 is good. It's just taking me a while to find out how
> to do some things (age, I guess).

Yeah, know the feeling. The one W7 machine that I 'fixed' took me quite a
while to get around. As I'm an amateur (and largely volunteer / unpaid) PC
service and support guy for friends, family and neighbours I guess I'm going
to be seeing more W7 boxes. However I can't afford to run the latest gear
and software myself, hence my friend's suggestion that I get a technet
subscription.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Simon

On Jan 27, 3:07*pm, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 26/01/2011 9:01 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
> > In message<iho97q$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:

> >> Since I installed W7 ...

> > There’s your problem.

> I knew I'd get a prickish response from you.

Just ignore the childish baiting.

Enkidu

On 28/01/11 10:24, Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 28/01/2011 9:07 a.m., Enkidu wrote:

>>> I learned something today. I've never seen a .cpl file before.
>> >

>> Huh? All the control panel applets are .cpl files. And there are
>> others too.

> I believe you. When one clicks a button one doesn't see the underlying
> code file. What's an applet?

An apple with a 't'.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Roger_Nickel

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:23:59 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <ihqk05$bqo$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:

>>> There’s your problem.

>> I knew I'd get a prickish response from you.

> The question is, has anybody else been able to offer anything better?

I just spent the best part of a morning getting a Ubuntu machine upgraded
(?) to 10.4 working properly. Dialup connection had no route to the
nameserver- even though ppp negotiation completed and the gateway
address was in the log files. All syslog had to say was "not replacing
existing default route via 127.0.0.1". Well shock me, netstat wasn't
lying after all, but a shame there was no indication in the logs that the
default route had been hijacked by the stupid Network Manager app. which
is now blissfully unaware of ppp even though many people still use it.

Then time to tidy up the desktop. Get rid of those space-wasting Gnome
panels and install AWN taskbar. Should be a snap-right?. Uh huh. I
finally gave up and set Gnome-Panel to non-executable in usr/bin. A real
kludge but what else to do?. Makes me pine for XFCE when things were
simpler and just worked. 10.04 a long term support version?, I think not
yet. Maybe Linux Mint for my next upgrade?.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4d43b02b$(E-Mail Removed)>, Roger_Nickel wrote:

> Makes me pine for XFCE when things were simpler and just worked.

Nothing stopping you from using XFCE on Ubuntu.

Free Software is all about choice.