Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Network connection repair

Network connection repair

Nathan Mercer

On Jan 27, 9:20*pm, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 27/01/2011 5:01 p.m., impossible wrote:
>
> > When you get to the "Network Sharing Center" click "Change Adapter Settings".
> > Enable/disable your network adapters from there.

> Excellent. *That's what I wanted.

the fastest way is still to run ncpa.cpl

Nathan Mercer

On Jan 27, 3:10*pm, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 27/01/2011 7:39 a.m., Nathan Mercer wrote:
>

> > On Jan 26, 5:51 pm, Gib Bogle<(E-Mail Removed)> *wrote:
> >> Since I installed W7 I've been having some annoying issues with my network
> >> connection. *When I wake the OS up from a sleep, it sometimes fails to reconnect
> >> to the network (I have a Vodafone ADSL modem/router, with a cable connection,
> >> and these are times when I know the connection from the modem to the internet is
> >> OK). *In such cases I am usually unsuccessful in re-establishing the connection
> >> unless I restart the OS, which is a nuisance.

> >> As I recall, using an earlier Windows OS I could reset a connection by going to
> >> Network Connections, and disabling then enabling the connection. *This facility
> >> seems to have been removed, or at least hidden. * I can now go from the Control
> >> Panel to the Network and Sharing Center, but the info and measures available
> >> there are very limited. *As far as I've been able to see there is only
> >> Troubleshoot, which usually doesn't do anything for me.

> >> I'll be very happy to be told that I am just an ignorant W7 user, and that there
> >> is a way to access the disable/enable capability.

> >> Thanks
> >> Gib

> > start
> > run
> > ncpa.cpl

> What's ncpa.cpl?- Hide quoted text -

network connections control panel applet

Gib Bogle

On 27/01/2011 9:41 p.m., Nathan Mercer wrote:

>>> start
>>> run
>>> ncpa.cpl

>> What's ncpa.cpl?- Hide quoted text -

> network connections control panel applet

I learned something today. I've never seen a .cpl file before.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
[snip]
> Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I can't see
> how to do it. Several aspects of W7 are like this. I knew my way
> around NT/W2000/XP pretty well, but now they've changed everything,
> substituting pretty pictures for useful tables.

..... which is why I'm very reluctant to go there myself.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Dave Doe

In article <ihrdpr$im4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), ~misfit~ says...

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
> [snip]
> > Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I can't see
> > how to do it. Several aspects of W7 are like this. I knew my way
> > around NT/W2000/XP pretty well, but now they've changed everything,
> > substituting pretty pictures for useful tables.

> .... which is why I'm very reluctant to go there myself.

Get used to it. Windows 7 is good. XP is old, bloated and has a poor
security model by default.

If yer wanna see something bad, try Ubuntu 10.10!

--
Duncan.

Richard

On 1/26/2011 5:51 PM, Gib Bogle wrote:
> Since I installed W7 I've been having some annoying issues with my
> network connection. When I wake the OS up from a sleep, it sometimes
> fails to reconnect to the network (I have a Vodafone ADSL modem/router,
> with a cable connection, and these are times when I know the connection
> from the modem to the internet is OK). In such cases I am usually
> unsuccessful in re-establishing the connection unless I restart the OS,
> which is a nuisance.
>
> As I recall, using an earlier Windows OS I could reset a connection by
> going to Network Connections, and disabling then enabling the
> connection. This facility seems to have been removed, or at least
> hidden. I can now go from the Control Panel to the Network and Sharing
> Center, but the info and measures available there are very limited. As
> far as I've been able to see there is only Troubleshoot, which usually
> doesn't do anything for me.
>
> I'll be very happy to be told that I am just an ignorant W7 user, and
> that there is a way to access the disable/enable capability.

I had this happen a few times.

I turned off all the checksum offloading options from this realtek piece
of **** card and it has been fine since then.

Gib Bogle

On 27/01/2011 11:52 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> In article<ihrdpr$im4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> (E-Mail Removed), ~misfit~ says...
>>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I can't see
>>> how to do it. Several aspects of W7 are like this. I knew my way
>>> around NT/W2000/XP pretty well, but now they've changed everything,
>>> substituting pretty pictures for useful tables.

>> .... which is why I'm very reluctant to go there myself.

> Get used to it. Windows 7 is good. XP is old, bloated and has a poor
> security model by default.

I agree that W7 is good. It's just taking me a while to find out how to do some
things (age, I guess).

Gib Bogle

On 28/01/2011 2:47 a.m., Richard wrote:

> I had this happen a few times.
>
> I turned off all the checksum offloading options from this realtek piece of ****
> card and it has been fine since then.

Yes, I have a Realtek adapter (on the Asus mb). Thanks for the suggestion.

Enkidu

On 27/01/11 22:05, Gib Bogle wrote:

>>> What's ncpa.cpl?- Hide quoted text -

>> network connections control panel applet

> I learned something today. I've never seen a .cpl file before.

Huh? All the control panel applets are .cpl files. And there are others too.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Gib Bogle

On 28/01/2011 9:07 a.m., Enkidu wrote:

>>> network connections control panel applet

>> I learned something today. I've never seen a .cpl file before.
> >

> Huh? All the control panel applets are .cpl files. And there are others too.

I believe you. When one clicks a button one doesn't see the underlying code
file. What's an applet?