Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > PSTN Noise on Atcom IP01: Asterisk PBX Appliance

PSTN Noise on Atcom IP01: Asterisk PBX Appliance

Gareth Evans

Hi, I recently purchased an Atcom IP01 Appliance with an FXO port.

When making a call out the FXO port I get the occasional, but repeating
sound blips (popping sounds). I don't think it's electrical interference, as
the appliance is faw away from the mains.

I have a good line and have no issues at all with my BT handset.

Here is a link to a sample recording:
http://www.simplygenius.co.uk/file/m...-Recording.mp3

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gareth

Graham.

"Gareth Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4d3f276d$0$19975$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) eb.com...
> Hi, I recently purchased an Atcom IP01 Appliance with an FXO port.
>
> When making a call out the FXO port I get the occasional, but repeating sound blips (popping sounds). I don't think it's
> electrical interference, as the appliance is faw away from the mains.
>
> I have a good line and have no issues at all with my BT handset.
>
> Here is a link to a sample recording: http://www.simplygenius.co.uk/file/m...-Recording.mp3
>
> If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gareth

Intriguing.
How did you make this recording?
Not all these events are the same, but there are several that look to me like on-hook/
off-hook events lasting about 430ms which, assuming it's an outgoing call, is long
enough to drop a BT line, unless of course something in parallel is keeping the line
looped, like your monitoring device.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Gareth Evans

> "Gareth Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4d3f276d$0$19975$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) eb.com...
>> Hi, I recently purchased an Atcom IP01 Appliance with an FXO port.
>>
>> When making a call out the FXO port I get the occasional, but repeating
>> sound blips (popping sounds). I don't think it's electrical interference,
>> as the appliance is faw away from the mains.
>>
>> I have a good line and have no issues at all with my BT handset.
>>
>> Here is a link to a sample recording:
>> http://www.simplygenius.co.uk/file/m...-Recording.mp3
>>
>> If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gareth

> Intriguing.
> How did you make this recording?
> Not all these events are the same, but there are several that look to me
> like on-hook/
> off-hook events lasting about 430ms which, assuming it's an outgoing call,
> is long
> enough to drop a BT line, unless of course something in parallel is
> keeping the line
> looped, like your monitoring device.
>
> --
> Graham.
>
> %Profound_observation%

Thank you for Graham. I installed a Blink (a SIP app) on my test PC, it has
built in call recording function.

I have connected up my Grandstream HandyTone 503 and calls are perfectly
clear with no "blips". I can only assume I need to configure some settings
on the IP-01 or maybe I have some faulty hardware (unlikely).

Unfortunately my Asterisk knowledge is not that advanced. Is there anything
else I should look at?

Thank you for your help.

Gareth

alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Gareth Evans
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> I have connected up my Grandstream HandyTone 503 and calls are perfectly
> clear with no "blips". I can only assume I need to configure some settings
> on the IP-01

I can't personally think of what sort of setting would cause that. Getting
line line impedance settings wrong might cause echo, but those deafening
clicks are mysterious.

> or maybe I have some faulty hardware (unlikely).

Try re-seating the module. Can you move the modules into another slot? Try
it on another line. Send it back.

20:43:35 up 10 days, 3:29, 8 users, load average: 0.21, 0.11, 0.09
-- Andrew Crossley, ACS:Law, 13 August 2010

groovyrob groovyrob is offline
Junior Member
Location: UK

Hi Gareth, just stumbled upon your post while looking for reviews of the Atcom IP-02 which I cant find many...
Did you ever get to the bottom of the noise issue? I'm thinking of buying the IP-02 to replace my Linksys SPA3102 which I use as a PSTN gateway for Asterisk as the echo's unbearable.

Do these devices suffer with echo on BT through the FXO port?

Cheers,

Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Evans View Post
Hi, I recently purchased an Atcom IP01 Appliance with an FXO port.

When making a call out the FXO port I get the occasional, but repeating
sound blips (popping sounds). I don't think it's electrical interference, as
the appliance is faw away from the mains.

I have a good line and have no issues at all with my BT handset.

Here is a link to a sample recording:
http://www.simplygenius.co.uk/file/m...-Recording.mp3

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gareth

scharrua scharrua is offline
Junior Member

Howdys!

if the occasional bip sounds like a DTMF sound, it is a phenomena that only occurs when these 2 elements are present:
- one of the call participant is a woman
- comunication has somewhere a VoIP peer

this is called Talk-Off.
Sometimes during a VoIP call, human voice sounds very similar to a DTMF tone.
It's common when a woman is participating the phone, a man's voice is too deep in pitch to result in Talk-Off.
The voice codec software or hardware will 'hear' something it thinks is a DTMF tone and spontaneously recreates that tone in a nice, clean and clear fashion.

I'm not sure if there is a way to override this issue...