Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Scrollbar vsus doctype query

Scrollbar vsus doctype query

Fokke Nauta

Hi all,

I get a bit lost here.
In a separate CSS style sheet I use:

body {
scrollbar-face-color: #008080;
scrollbar-shadow-color: #008080;
scrollbar-highlight-color: #FFF6BD;
scrollbar-3dlight-color: #FFF6BD;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #008080;
scrollbar-track-color: #FFF6BD;
scrollbar-arrow-color: #FFF6BD;
}

When I use in my web page the doctype:
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
then the CSS style sheet works well, but the scrollbars are standard. The
scrollbar doesn't show the CSS settings.

When I use doctype:
The scrollbars show the settings I specified in the CSS sheet but the other
CSS settings (like font size) are incorrect.

Is there any way the CSS settings will be shown correctly AND the scrollbars
will show correctly too?

I use IE8 and Opera to view the website, as Firefox, Chrome and Safari won't
show the scrollbar properties anyway.
Is there any way to let them show the scrollbar properties?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Fokke Nauta

Jukka K. Korpela

Fokke Nauta wrote:

> I get a bit lost here.

Welcome to the world of Quirks Mode!

> scrollbar-face-color: #008080;

That's outside the current de facto excuse for a standard for CSS, the CSS
2.1 draft.

> When I use in my web page the doctype:
> then the CSS style sheet works well, but the scrollbars are standard.

Not surprising, because the doctype triggers "standards mode" (i.e., not
intentionally very broken mode).

> When I use doctype:
> The scrollbars show the settings I specified in the CSS sheet but the
> other CSS settings (like font size) are incorrect.

Not surprising, because that doctype triggers "Quirks Mode" (i.e.,
intentionally very broken mode) on IE, which is what matters here.

> Is there any way the CSS settings will be shown correctly AND the
> scrollbars will show correctly too?

Correctly as per which specification? Anyway, Quirks Mode is what the name
suggests - something quirky and undocumented. If you trigger it, you get
loads of different "features", without being able to pick up those you want.
See
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/quirks-mode.html

> I use IE8 and Opera to view the website, as Firefox, Chrome and
> Safari won't show the scrollbar properties anyway.

I'm surprised - which version of Opera recognizes those properties, in which
mode?

> Is there any way to let them show the scrollbar properties?

New versions of IE apparently recognize them in Quirks Mode only. You need
to decide whether you wish to get all you get with that, whatever it might
be.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Fokke Nauta

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k1l%o.2614$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
>> I get a bit lost here.

> Welcome to the world of Quirks Mode!
>
>> scrollbar-face-color: #008080;

> That's outside the current de facto excuse for a standard for CSS, the CSS
> 2.1 draft.
>
>> When I use in my web page the doctype:
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>> then the CSS style sheet works well, but the scrollbars are standard.

> Not surprising, because the doctype triggers "standards mode" (i.e., not
> intentionally very broken mode).
>
>> When I use doctype:
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>> The scrollbars show the settings I specified in the CSS sheet but the
>> other CSS settings (like font size) are incorrect.

> Not surprising, because that doctype triggers "Quirks Mode" (i.e.,
> intentionally very broken mode) on IE, which is what matters here.
>
>> Is there any way the CSS settings will be shown correctly AND the
>> scrollbars will show correctly too?

> Correctly as per which specification? Anyway, Quirks Mode is what the name
> suggests - something quirky and undocumented. If you trigger it, you get
> loads of different "features", without being able to pick up those you
> want. See
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/quirks-mode.html
>
>> I use IE8 and Opera to view the website, as Firefox, Chrome and
>> Safari won't show the scrollbar properties anyway.

> I'm surprised - which version of Opera recognizes those properties, in
> which mode?
>
>> Is there any way to let them show the scrollbar properties?

> New versions of IE apparently recognize them in Quirks Mode only. You need
> to decide whether you wish to get all you get with that, whatever it might
> be.

Thanks, Yukka.
I am a lot wiser now. Never knew those things.
Best to avoid Quirks mode, I believe. So no coloured scrollbars.
I use (among other browsers for testing) Opera 11 build 1156.
When I use that Quirks mode in the html document this Opera indeed
recognizes the scrollbar properties!

Best regards,
Fokke

Jukka K. Korpela

Fokke Nauta wrote:

> I use (among other browsers for testing) Opera 11 build 1156.
> When I use that Quirks mode in the html document this Opera indeed
> recognizes the scrollbar properties!

I was surprised, because I have exactly the same version. I first thought
this might be a platform difference, but it seems that it's yet another
oddity in the browser: when I modify the page e.g. by removing the doctype,
to trigger Quirks Mode, and reload the page, the scrollbars remain standard,
unstyled. But if i View Developer tools, Page properties, to see that the
page is indeed in "compatibility mode" (i.e., Quirks Mode), then close those
properties, the page magically turns to using styled scrollbars.

It also works the other way round: adding a doctype that triggers Standards
Mode and reloading the page does not affect the scrollbars - but after
viewing pare properties, they return to "standards".

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Fokke Nauta

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:syl%o.2637$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
>> I use (among other browsers for testing) Opera 11 build 1156.
>> When I use that Quirks mode in the html document this Opera indeed
>> recognizes the scrollbar properties!

> I was surprised, because I have exactly the same version. I first thought
> this might be a platform difference, but it seems that it's yet another
> oddity in the browser: when I modify the page e.g. by removing the
> doctype, to trigger Quirks Mode, and reload the page, the scrollbars
> remain standard, unstyled. But if i View Developer tools, Page properties,
> to see that the page is indeed in "compatibility mode" (i.e., Quirks
> Mode), then close those properties, the page magically turns to using
> styled scrollbars.
>
> It also works the other way round: adding a doctype that triggers
> Standards Mode and reloading the page does not affect the scrollbars - but
> after viewing pare properties, they return to "standards".

It shouldn't be a platform difference. BTW I use XP Pro 32.
But this is funny.
When I use <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
the scrollbars are coloured, and when I replace the doctype by <!DOCTYPE
HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"> and reload the page, the scrollbars
are standard. So this works slightly different at your place.
I haven't found the developer tools yet, but they might be interesting.

Fokke

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Fokke Nauta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I get a bit lost here.
> In a separate CSS style sheet I use:
>
> body {
> scrollbar-face-color: #008080;
> scrollbar-shadow-color: #008080;
> scrollbar-highlight-color: #FFF6BD;
> scrollbar-3dlight-color: #FFF6BD;
> scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #008080;
> scrollbar-track-color: #FFF6BD;
> scrollbar-arrow-color: #FFF6BD;
> }

[rest of horror story snipped]

You need:

1) a *smack* for using non-standard markup

2) a *second* smack for wanting to have some scrollbars that differ from
the platform default. The is an *extremely* irritating thing that some
people seem to want to do, which signals that their site is one to avoid
at all costs.

--
Tim

Jukka K. Korpela

Tim Streater wrote:

> You need:
>
> 1) a *smack* for using non-standard markup

No markup was mentioned (unless you count document type declarations as
markup, and they were standard).

You need a smack for playing with technical terms like "markup" without
knowing what they mean.

> 2) a *second* smack for wanting to have some scrollbars that differ
> from the platform default. The is an *extremely* irritating thing
> that some people seem to want to do, which signals that their site is
> one to avoid at all costs.

Well, maybe. But for all you can know, the OP might be using an HTML
document with associated CSS code for his personal use, or for use in the
intranet of Lovers of Colored Scrollbars. There's no "www" in the name of
this group.

--

Fokke Nauta wrote:

> When I use <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
> Transitional//EN"> the scrollbars are coloured, and when I replace
> the doctype by <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
> Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"> and reload
> the page, the scrollbars are standard. So this works slightly
> different at your place.

I see the same phenomenon on IE 8, but on Opera 11, it's different (the
handling of scrollbar properties there is "sticky").

> I haven't found the developer tools yet, but they might be
> interesting.

In my copy of Opera 11 (Finnish version), it's Näytä > Kehittäjän työkalut,
which I expect to be View > Developer Tools in the English version, as
that's the obvious back-translation.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Fokke Nauta

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7Uu%o.2730$(E-Mail Removed)...

<cut>

> In my copy of Opera 11 (Finnish version), it's Näytä > Kehittäjän
> työkalut, which I expect to be View > Developer Tools in the English
> version, as that's the obvious back-translation.

I don't have a View button, is this perhaps an extension?

Fokke

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Fokke Nauta"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7Uu%o.2730$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> <cut>
>
>> In my copy of Opera 11 (Finnish version), it's Näytä > Kehittäjän
>> työkalut, which I expect to be View > Developer Tools in the English
>> version, as that's the obvious back-translation.
>>

> I don't have a View button, is this perhaps an extension?
>
> Fokke

No, it's not an extension, it's probably a menu/toolbar combination. A
few years ago, Toby Inkster put out an excellent menu/toolbar for
developers. That toolbar included a view option. You might want to head
on over to opera.general and ask over there.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services