Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro, sp1 retail install disk?

Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro, sp1 retail install disk?

Sweetpea

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 21:10:47 -0600, Tony wrote:

> Read the Technet EULA

Why? You've not even posted a URL.

Dave Doe

In article <ii5kie$385$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), ~misfit~ says...

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
> > On 22/01/2011 3:33 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
> >> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
> >> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
> >> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
> >>
> >> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
> >> I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
> >> it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
> >> required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
> >> afternoon. Thanks,

> > FWIW try installing XP with whatever key works with your CD then use
> > Magic Jelly Bean finder to change the key to the COA one.

> Thanks for that Paul, I'll give it a try on a 'test machine'. I'd hate to
> sell a second-hand machine and then have it fail a WGA 'update' (*again*,
> despite the install key being the one on the COA on the machine...).

Do you think the OS adds value to the PC? It probably doesn't, does it?
If that's the case, why not throw Ubuntu or Linux Mint on it - you can
still "show" the PC.

--
Duncan.

imposterbull

"impossible" in Iowa wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "imposterbull" wrote in message
> news:ihjitd$fqt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "impossible" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
>>> From: "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> Translation:
>>
>> When I first started posting here as "impossible", I used the
>> email domain @nospam.com which is the intellectual property
>> of Anything.com Ltd, Grand Cayman, KY.
>>
>> Now I am using the email domain @nospam.net which is the
>> intellectual property of Marchex Sales Inc and their
>> subsidiary MDNH Inc.
>>
>> As a user of other people's intellectual property, I
>> consider myself well-qualified to troll on intellectual
>> property rights.

[restored]

While Iowa "impossible" has complained many times about others trimming
quoted text, "impossible" does exactly the same itself.

To paraphrase "impossible" itself...

It's convenient for "impossible" to wantonly troll
because it thinks it is entitled to wantonly censor out
the bits that catch it out.

[Paraphrased from <news:(E-Mail Removed)>]

Keep it up, "impossible". New Zealanders like a good laugh at hypocrites.

>>> Which particular part of ~misfit's piracy scheme are you endorsing
>>> exactly? The part where he claims that a COA sticker automatically
>>> entitles him to oem-licensed software? Or the part where he solicits
>>> links to pirated copies of software for download?

More translation of "impossible" ...

>> You might think that you can re-install software to recover
>> from a virus infestation or hardware failure.
>>

> With a valid license, of course you can. Not if you've pirated the software.
>

>> As a self-proclaimed expert on intellectual property rights,
>> I troll that you are wrong.
>>

> You're an expert troll, yes you are.
>
>> You might think that the licence is for the OEM version of
>> the software, not the physical install media.
>>

> Yes, it is.

Then the OP can reinstall the same OEM software from a different copy of
the physical installation media.

>> You might think that the COA is tangible evidence of a licence
>> for the same OEM version of the software.
>>

> You might, but you'd be dead wrong. A COA is just a sticker with a product
> key on it. Without a copy of the original software installed, all you have
> is a story to tell Microsoft that you hope they'll believe. Good luck with
> that.

Did Iowa "impossible" flip-flop, or did it not comprehend the "same OEM
version" which it is replying to?

>> As a self-proclaimed expert on intellectual property rights,
>> I troll that you are wrong.
>>

> Again, you're an expert troll, yes you are.

Squeakplea

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:29:49 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 21:10:47 -0600, Tony wrote:
>
>> Read the Technet EULA

> Why? You've not even posted a URL.

Translation:

I have been telling people what is in the Technet licence (EULA).
Why should I read the Technet licence (EULA) first?
Can't I just make up whatever I like?

If you expect me to read the Technet licence (EULA) before
I post on about it, you should give me a URL.

--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean, so I am sure
Egypt must still have Internet access whatever the news may pretend"

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Robert Cooze wrote:
> On 31/01/11 23:19, Dave Doe wrote:
>> In article<ii5kie$385$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>> (E-Mail Removed), ~misfit~ says...

>>> Thanks for that Paul, I'll give it a try on a 'test machine'. I'd
>>> hate to sell a second-hand machine and then have it fail a WGA
>>> 'update' (*again*, despite the install key being the one on the COA
>>> on the machine...).

>> Do you think the OS adds value to the PC? It probably doesn't, does
>> it? If that's the case, why not throw Ubuntu or Linux Mint on it -
>> you can still "show" the PC.
>>

> Dose it add value?
>
> Yes and No
>
> Ok for most a computer without a OS is a waste of time as they neither
> have the knowledge or the patience to set a computer up it is a turn
> key world to them.
>
> From what I have seen WIN XP is what the masses want and expect they
> distrust vista and 7 as they don't know how to use it.
>
> My computer just a twin screen Linux machine confuses the average 5th
> form computer student, they cant find the brand names they have been
> taught.
> Now the laptop in question would have been sold with an OS and sold
> second hand with the same OS would be the expected norm. misfit seems
> to take pride in what he sells.

Thanks Robert, you have it correct.

When I do refurbish a laptop that has a Windows COA attached to the bottom
then, when it leaves my tender care it has the OS re-installed,
authenticated and updated. Also same with manufacturer's drivers and where
possible applications. It's as the machine should be / was when it was new
and it sells far better than a laptop with a bare HDD. Only perhaps 5% of
the general population would even know where to begin with a machine with no
OS installed and I don't see the point of cutting down the potential
buyer-pool that much.

Also, a few machines that I've got are ex-corporate and have no HDDs anyway
so I need to buy and install a HDD. I just wish that the clowns who destroy
HDDs would get it through their thick heads that they don't need to also
destroy the HDD caddy and cover! I'm not sure if these folks are *that*
simple or whether they just take delight in wanton destruction.

I first encountered the 'laptops with no HDD / caddy / cover' thing when I
was at an IT auction in 2003, back when I was mainly meddling with desktop
machines. I saw a lot of around 25 relatively high-end (for the time)
Toshiba's sell for something like $1K, or $40 each. I wasn't looking at
laptops at the time (and didn't have that much money) but the guy I attended
the auction with had looked at them. He told me that, while they wouild
likely fetch upwards of $400 each second-hand in working condition, it would
cost a significant portion of the 'profit margin' replacing the HDD caddies
and covers.

I marvelled at the stupidity of the folks who didn't take the HDDs out of
the caddies before taking to them with hammers and thought that it was
likely a one-off thing. However, to this day I still see a lot of
ex-corporate machines being sold in the same state; Sans HDD, caddy and
cover. <shrug> I just don't get it, I've sometimes ended up running my own
laptops without the HDD cover as, while they are available, they're not
cheap and can add a significant chunk to the total cost of the machine.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Robert Cooze wrote:
> On 01/02/11 14:02, ~misfit~ wrote:

[snip]
>> I marvelled at the stupidity of the folks who didn't take the HDDs
>> out of the caddies before taking to them with hammers and thought
>> that it was likely a one-off thing. However, to this day I still see
>> a lot of ex-corporate machines being sold in the same state; Sans
>> HDD, caddy and cover.<shrug> I just don't get it, I've sometimes
>> ended up running my own laptops without the HDD cover as, while they
>> are available, they're not cheap and can add a significant chunk to
>> the total cost of the machine. Cheers,

> Yes I have seen the x lease thing the device has made the money so
> relay it is cost of scale economics 5 mins vs 30s to destroy data and
> for say 100+ laptops it is a lot of time and money to strip out parts
> for something that has no value. Makes us poor buggers cry when the
> machine could have another use or another life so to speak. Relax and
> look after your back.

Thanks mate, you take care too.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
>> On 22/01/2011 3:33 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
>>> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
>>> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
>>> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.
>>>
>>> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
>>> I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
>>> it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
>>> required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
>>> afternoon. Thanks,

>> FWIW try installing XP with whatever key works with your CD then use
>> Magic Jelly Bean finder to change the key to the COA one.

> Thanks for that Paul, I'll give it a try on a 'test machine'. I'd
> hate to sell a second-hand machine and then have it fail a WGA
> 'update' (*again*, despite the install key being the one on the COA
> on the machine...).

Hmm, I didn't have any luck /swapping/ keys with MJB so I downloaded a new
version that required installing and that doesn't seem to swap keys either,
despite the website where I got it from saying that it does. Perhaps it
needed whatever that software was that it also wanted to install that I
opted out of?

Oh well, a friend's at the spare desk right now using my interweb
connection. I'll try again later, or tomorrow.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Robert J. Roosevelt

news:ii8ill$sv3$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
>>>>

> Hmm, I didn't have any luck /swapping/ keys with MJB so I downloaded a new
> version that required installing and that doesn't seem to swap keys
> either, despite the website where I got it from saying that it does.
> Perhaps it needed whatever that software was that it also wanted to
> install that I opted out of?
>
> Oh well, a friend's at the spare desk right now using my interweb
> connection. I'll try again later, or tomorrow.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Shaun.

You probably need to find the early MJB version 1.51
I don't think the later versions 2.01 on will do it.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Robert J. Roosevelt wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ii8ill$sv3$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>>>>>

>> Hmm, I didn't have any luck /swapping/ keys with MJB so I downloaded
>> a new version that required installing and that doesn't seem to swap
>> keys either, despite the website where I got it from saying that it
>> does. Perhaps it needed whatever that software was that it also
>> wanted to install that I opted out of?
>>
>> Oh well, a friend's at the spare desk right now using my interweb
>> connection. I'll try again later, or tomorrow.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Shaun.

> You probably need to find the early MJB version 1.51
> I don't think the later versions 2.01 on will do it.

Thanks, I'll have a look....