Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro, sp1 retail install disk?

Reply
Thread Tools

Downloadable 32-bit XP Pro, sp1 retail install disk?

 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2011
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nathan Mercer wrote:
> On Jan 24, 1:32 pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tony wrote:

[snip]
>>> Yes call Microsoft and if they cannot assist the OP could consider a
>>> technet subscription, he can download XP with SP3 and get two keys.
>>> $199 in NZ, he will also get access to other software with
>>> legitimate keys.

>>
>> Thanks for that Tony. Alas, the laptop's only worth a little more
>> than $199 and already has a COA for XP Pro (but the HDD failed). I'm
>> just trying to get it to saleable condition with a legal XP install
>> so I can pay the bills for the month. Visa have already forked out
>> ~$90 for a HDD for it. :-/
>>
>> That said, you're not the first person to suggest that I get a
>> Technet subscription. Maybe if I can get the bills sorted and
>> somehow come up with the extra dosh....

>
> Unfortunately you're not licensed to download software from a TechNet
> subscription and resell it


Thanks for clearing that up Nathan. I was fairly sure that's how it worked
anyway but wasn't sure enough to contradict a person who was posting to help
me.
--
Shaun.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Donchano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:13:32 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Yep, I could do that. However I know for a fact that it's going to cost a
>bit and I'm looking to sell this laptop to realise a few bucks as the bills
>are mounting up. The 'profit margin' on this machine's already thin as I had
>to put a new HDD in it.


Not that I'm promising to buy it, but - like you - I'm the first port
of call for our lovely, but technologically challenged community.

So ... can you tell the specs of that laptop? I'm looking to replace
the last laptop I purchased for one of the family.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2011
On Jan 24, 5:35*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:19:41 -0800, Nathan *Mercer wrote:
> > Yes, lots and lots and lots, every day. *Installation and Security
> > update support is even free.

>
> Not free - that was PAID FOR when a computer with MS Windows was
> purchased. Frankly, it SHOULD be supplied FREE when anyone purchases MS
> Windows because it's so full of security flaws and has such poor hardware
> support!


It is free, it comes with free installation support, call 0800 800 004
and Microsoft will support you for free

> MS's "technical support" is pathetic - time-limited and restricted to a
> few telephone calls, and nothing else. Given how expensive MS's software
> is one should expect virtually unlimited support!


Pathetic and expensive? Windows 7 Family Pack, 3 copies of Windows 7
Home Premium for $299?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2011
On Jan 24, 6:03*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <ihig8o$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> (E-Mail Removed), ~misfit~ says...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
> > > In article <ihgobq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > > (E-Mail Removed), ~misfit~ says...

>
> > >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
> > >>> Hi folks,

>
> > >>> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
> > >>> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
> > >>> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
> > >>> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.

>
> > >>> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'..
> > >>> I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
> > >>> it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
> > >>> required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
> > >>> afternoon.
> > >>> Thanks,

>
> > >> Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier
> > >> troll-feeding Nathan?

>
> > > a. do you have an MSDN subscription?

>
> > No. Is that a prerequisite for installing Windows?

>
> > > b. are you installing from an OEM install disk?

>
> > Yes, although it's a sp2-level OEM disk that doesn't like to accept numbers
> > from earlier COAs.

>
> > I mistakenly said in the subject that I needed 'retail' media. I actually
> > need system-builder OEM media (?) from around 2002. As mentioned, I have the
> > COA...

>
> Perhaps you can get a replacement CD - as yep, you probably need XP pre
> SP2 (XP 2002?)- which is a right PITA *For starters, if you update to
> SP3, and then put your original XP CD in - guess what - it won't see the
> existing partition (doesn't support that NTFS) - so yer back to a clean
> install - no repair install available. *BTW, SP2 is still available for
> download, incase you needed to know.


I think you'll find all versions of Windows XP support NTFS
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2011
On Jan 24, 5:02*pm, Cima <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:44:25 -0800 (PST), Nathan *Mercer <nmer...@gmail..com>
> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> >On Jan 24, 4:41 pm, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:
> >> Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> >> On Jan 24, 11:03 am, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:

>
> >> >> Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> >> >On 22/01/2011 3:33 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> >> >> >> Hi folks,

>
> >> >> >> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it at a
> >> >> >> stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk that I
> >> >> >>usually
> >> >> >> use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it won't accept the
> >> >> >>number
> >> >> >> from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.

>
> >> >> >> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'. I'm
> >> >> >>not
> >> >> >> trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to it. Does anyone
> >> >> >> know if it's possible to download an ISO of the required install disk? I'd
> >> >> >> really like to get this done this afternoon.

>
> >> >> >> Thanks,

>
> >> >> >Can't you just install SPI using the CD key for the disk you have to
> >> >> >install, not activate it immediately, but after installing, change the
> >> >> >serial # to the one on the COA? Then activate online, and if it won't
> >> >> >activate, call MS.

>
> >> >> >Cut & paste for method for serial # change below:

>
> >> >> >Click "Start" and go to "Run." Enter the following string:

>
> >> >> >%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

>
> >> >> >Click "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
> >> >> >activate Windows" and then click "Next."

>
> >> >> >Click "Change Product Key."

>
> >> >> >You will now be able to enter the valid serial number for your Windows XP.

>
> >> >> >Press "Update" and close the window.

>
> >> >> >Now restart your computer. Your version of Windows XP should now be
> >> >> >updated with the new serial number.

>
> >> >> Yes call Microsoft and if they cannot assist the OP could consider a technet
> >> >> subscription, he can download XP with SP3 and get two keys. $199 in NZ, he
> >> >>will
> >> >> also get access to other software with legitimate keys.

>
> >> >FWIW TechNet subscriptions in NZ cost $388 for TechNet Standard

>
> >> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/s...tions/buy.aspx

>
> >> >That license is for one person only, so you're not licensed to install/
> >> >activate software using your keys on others PCs

>
> >> >Also be aware that TechNet subscriptions contain full-versions of
> >> >Microsoft software without any time or feature limits and they are for
> >> >evaluation purposes only - not for use in production environments

>
> >> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/s...759%28en-us%29.....

>
> >> My mistake, I saw the US$ price. I thought maybe the cost had gone down since I
> >> subscribed - Oops.

>
> >> I only use my subscription for evaluation purposes and when I am ready for
> >> production I, or my customers, buy a retail version.
> >> For the right people technet is one of Microsoft's excellent services. Hell,
> >> you can install and evaluate or use for compatibilty and performance testing
> >> dozens of software products for less than the cost of one high end OS!
> >> For the record I have never had anything but the best of service from Microsoft
> >> when I needed it.

>
> >Great to hear Tony

>
> >Yes I think TechNet subscription is a great service too, makes it
> >pretty easy to try stuff out at home before you go an implement it in
> >the real world

>
> >We often have discounts on TechNet available, the last one was 25% off
> >but expired end of December, I will remember to post on here next time
> >there is another discount coupon

>
> Hmmm, sounds kind of interesting.
> I gather it couldn't be used in this type of scenario *- client rings asking
> "how do I do x in Word 2010?" I fire up 'Evaluation Word 2010' and say "do x,
> and so on"...
>
> Yay or Nay?-


Yes, Its the same version/install/license key of Office 2010, you get
5 license keys for Office 2010 Pro Plus, 5 for Office 2010 Standard
etc

as I said before, non time limited, for evaluation only meaning you
can't use it in production etc
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2011
On Jan 24, 5:40*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:26:47 -0800, Nathan *Mercer wrote:
> > FWIW TechNet subscriptions in NZ cost $388 for TechNet Standard

>
> FOTFLOL!
>
> How many of the general public would be capable of using that, let alone
> affording that when they've already paid as much as that if not more to
> merely get the right to us MS Software one one computer only.
>
> It's just an extortionate rort to extract more and more revenue out of
> software that was first released 20 years ago!


its not targetted at the General Public, but for IT Professionals
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2011
On Jan 24, 5:45*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:28:54 -0800, Nathan *Mercer wrote:
> > Unfortunately you're not licensed to download software from a TechNet
> > subscription and resell it

>
> How it is being "resold" if the original license - that all important
> sticker with numbers on it - is what's still being used?


Just use that license that don't buy a TechNet subscription then
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2011
In article <0142b1af-4c84-4e74-abc8-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Nathan
Mercer says...
>
> On Jan 24, 6:03*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <ihig8o$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > (E-Mail Removed), ~misfit~ says...
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
> > > > In article <ihgobq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > > > (E-Mail Removed), ~misfit~ says...

> >
> > > >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
> > > >>> Hi folks,

> >
> > > >>> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
> > > >>> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
> > > >>> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
> > > >>> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.

> >
> > > >>> I was hoping to get this done today but didn't expect this 'gotcha'.
> > > >>> I'm not trying to pirate Windows, the machine has a legal right to
> > > >>> it. Does anyone know if it's possible to download an ISO of the
> > > >>> required install disk? I'd really like to get this done this
> > > >>> afternoon.
> > > >>> Thanks,

> >
> > > >> Wot, no reply from the MS executive in the group? Happier
> > > >> troll-feeding Nathan?

> >
> > > > a. do you have an MSDN subscription?

> >
> > > No. Is that a prerequisite for installing Windows?

> >
> > > > b. are you installing from an OEM install disk?

> >
> > > Yes, although it's a sp2-level OEM disk that doesn't like to accept numbers
> > > from earlier COAs.

> >
> > > I mistakenly said in the subject that I needed 'retail' media. I actually
> > > need system-builder OEM media (?) from around 2002. As mentioned, I have the
> > > COA...

> >
> > Perhaps you can get a replacement CD - as yep, you probably need XP pre
> > SP2 (XP 2002?)- which is a right PITA *For starters, if you update to
> > SP3, and then put your original XP CD in - guess what - it won't see the
> > existing partition (doesn't support that NTFS) - so yer back to a clean
> > install - no repair install available. *BTW, SP2 is still available for
> > download, incase you needed to know.

>
> I think you'll find all versions of Windows XP support NTFS


Yes but MS must have changed NTFS at some stage. So I can boot from the
OEM CD install Windows, in NTFS mode. Then I can put the CD in and do a
recovery. But... install SP2 and SP3 (SP3 doesn't install on it without
SP2 first). And then put the CD in and into recovery - doesn't see the
NTFS partition anymore!

--
Duncan.
 
Reply With Quote
 
imposterbull
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2011
"impossible" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> From: "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)>


Translation:

When I first started posting here as "impossible", I used the
email domain @nospam.com which is the intellectual property
of Anything.com Ltd, Grand Cayman, KY.

Now I am using the email domain @nospam.net which is the
intellectual property of Marchex Sales Inc and their
subsidiary MDNH Inc.

As a user of other people's intellectual property, I
consider myself well-qualified to troll on intellectual
property rights.


> Which particular part of ~misfit's piracy scheme are you endorsing
> exactly? The part where he claims that a COA sticker automatically
> entitles him to oem-licensed software? Or the part where he solicits
> links to pirated copies of software for download?


You might think that you can re-install software to recover
from a virus infestation or hardware failure.

As a self-proclaimed expert on intellectual property rights,
I troll that you are wrong.

You might think that the licence is for the OEM version of
the software, not the physical install media.

You might think that the COA is tangible evidence of a licence
for the same OEM version of the software.

As a self-proclaimed expert on intellectual property rights,
I troll that you are wrong.


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2011
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 21:20:06 +1300
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I've been fixing the hardware in a circa 2003 laptop and I have it
>>> at a stage where I think it's all good. However, the install disk
>>> that I usually use for re-installing XP is an sp2 level disk and it
>>> won't accept the number from the COA on this pre-sp2 machine.

> Hey ~misfit~
> Install Ubuntu on it? or openSUSE?
>
> You can make your own system up here;
> http://susestudio.com/
>
> This will definitely work and fast loading http://www.xpud.org/ have
> been having a play with it on a circa 2002 Celeron 667MHz machine as
> well as a SuSE Studio build of LXDE.
>
> <slinks back to lurk mode>


Hey Malcolm, great to hear from you.

I'd be tempted to install one of those hippy OSes but, as I intend to sell
it and most people like Windows I think I'd be shooting myself in the foot.


Hope you're well mate.
--
Shaun.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft.Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and 2.0 SP2 and 1.1 Sp1 Judy ASP .Net Security 0 07-06-2010 05:47 PM
Compile on 3.5 sp1 and deploy on non 3.5 sp1 server? Vijay ASP .Net 1 11-01-2008 12:45 PM
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? MowGreen [MVP] ASP .Net 5 02-09-2008 01:55 AM
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version 2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? PA Bear [MS MVP] ASP .Net 0 02-05-2008 03:28 AM
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version 2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? V Green ASP .Net 0 02-05-2008 02:45 AM



Advertisments