Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Program will not run, used to run, have reinstalled numerous times,no luck

Program will not run, used to run, have reinstalled numerous times,no luck

Boppy

Hi guys,

I had a few glitches with my system which I resolved but a casualty
has been Corel Draw X5 which has always run perfectly well but I guess
I have tweaked something in fixing the other problem and now it will
not run.

If I click the icon within Program Files nothing happens. If I double-
click a .cdr file which should be opened in Corel I get the error
message "there was a problem sending the command to the program".

I've un- and re-installed several times, even gone through the
registry and removed all references. There is no appdata for the
program, each time I reinstall it's a clean install, so what am I
missing?

I have asked this in the Corel forum but no one can help. I don't
think it's a Corel issue anyway, so much as a Windows 7 issue.

Can anyone think of something I can try to get this program running
again?

FYI everything else is running like a dream, Adobe CS5 and all - this
is my only tricky app.

Thanks in advance,
Jo

Dave Taylor

Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c63af1e2-25f7-4584-a121-

> FYI everything else is running like a dream, Adobe CS5 and all - this
> is my only tricky app.

IMHO, this software is terrible. Don't fix it. Dump it and use something
else to replace it.
I say this because Corel Draw is one of the very few products to STILL have
problems when it comes to colour management and printing, which is what I
do at work

--
Ciao, Dave

Boppy

On Jan 21, 11:52*pm, Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c63af1e2-25f7-4584-a121-
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
> > FYI everything else is running like a dream, Adobe CS5 and all *- this
> > is my only tricky app.

> IMHO, this software is terrible. *Don't fix it. *Dump it and use something
> else to replace it.
> I say this because Corel Draw is one of the very few products to STILL have
> problems when it comes to colour management and printing, which is what I
> do at work
>
> --
> Ciao, Dave

well i've been using it for 20 years and i need to access my files.

Ted

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 20:30:07 -0800 (PST), Boppy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I had a few glitches with my system which I resolved but a casualty
>has been Corel Draw X5 which has always run perfectly well but I guess
>I have tweaked something in fixing the other problem and now it will
>not run.
>
>If I click the icon within Program Files nothing happens. If I double-
>click a .cdr file which should be opened in Corel I get the error
>message "there was a problem sending the command to the program".
>
>I've un- and re-installed several times, even gone through the
>registry and removed all references. There is no appdata for the
>program, each time I reinstall it's a clean install, so what am I
>missing?
>
>I have asked this in the Corel forum but no one can help. I don't
>think it's a Corel issue anyway, so much as a Windows 7 issue.

It sounds like a problem with starting up the program.

I don't know Windows 7 so can't give step-by-step instructions. But I
think you need to find out the name of the executable it's trying to
run, and search for other instances of that name - maybe it's trying
to run the wrong one.

Also look for the event log in Windows 7 and see if anything gets
logged when you try to start the program.

>Can anyone think of something I can try to get this program running
>again?
>
>FYI everything else is running like a dream, Adobe CS5 and all - this
>is my only tricky app.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Jo

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <Xns9E74F2E142FE7daveytaynospamplshot@94.75.214.90 >, Dave Taylor
wrote:

> IMHO, this software is terrible. Don't fix it. Dump it and use something
> else to replace it.

Imagine if you did that every time you had trouble with a Windows program...

victor

On 22/01/2011 9:06 a.m., Boppy wrote:
> On Jan 21, 11:52 pm, Dave Taylor<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Boppy<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c63af1e2-25f7-4584-a121-
>> (E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> FYI everything else is running like a dream, Adobe CS5 and all - this
>>> is my only tricky app.

>> IMHO, this software is terrible. Don't fix it. Dump it and use something
>> else to replace it.
>> I say this because Corel Draw is one of the very few products to STILL have
>> problems when it comes to colour management and printing, which is what I
>> do at work
>>
>> --
>> Ciao, Dave

> well i've been using it for 20 years and i need to access my files.

Perhaps an upgrade to Windows 95 would help

EMB

On 21/01/2011 5:30 p.m., Boppy wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I had a few glitches with my system which I resolved but a casualty
> has been Corel Draw X5 which has always run perfectly well but I guess
> I have tweaked something in fixing the other problem and now it will
> not run.
>
> If I click the icon within Program Files nothing happens. If I double-
> click a .cdr file which should be opened in Corel I get the error
> message "there was a problem sending the command to the program".
>
> I've un- and re-installed several times, even gone through the
> registry and removed all references. There is no appdata for the
> program, each time I reinstall it's a clean install, so what am I
> missing?
>
> I have asked this in the Corel forum but no one can help. I don't
> think it's a Corel issue anyway, so much as a Windows 7 issue.
>
> Can anyone think of something I can try to get this program running
> again?
>
> FYI everything else is running like a dream, Adobe CS5 and all - this
> is my only tricky app.

Are you running any firewall software?

Boppy

Thanks guys.

I have added CorelDRW to the firewall exceptions so it's not that.

THis is the event log: can it tell you anything that may help?

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-01-21T22:51:48.000000000Z

EventRecordID 255845

Channel Application

Computer JO-PC

Security

- EventData

CorelDRW.exe
15.0.0.489
4bbe0ccb
ntdll.dll
6.1.7600.16559
4ba9b21e
c0000005
000619f1
f20
01cbb9bdc34306bd
C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5\Programs
\CorelDRW.exe
C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
06b7d133-25b1-11e0-b2eb-99a8f68d10f6

ALso, looking back at the restore points, I notice there is an
uninstallation of Windows Shell Extension when I remove Corel Draw.
Don't know if that's relevant.
Also there are a couple of other DOS boxes that appear during install/
repair - I'll try to catch what they say exactly.

Ted

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:57:11 -0800 (PST), Boppy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks guys.
>
>I have added CorelDRW to the firewall exceptions so it's not that.
>
>THis is the event log: can it tell you anything that may help?
>
>+ System
>
> - Provider
>
> [ Name] Application Error
>
> - EventID 1000
>
> [ Qualifiers] 0
>
> Level 2
>
> Task 100
>
> Keywords 0x80000000000000
>
> - TimeCreated
>
> [ SystemTime] 2011-01-21T22:51:48.000000000Z
>
> EventRecordID 255845
>
> Channel Application
>
> Computer JO-PC
>
> Security
>

>- EventData
>
> CorelDRW.exe
> 15.0.0.489
> 4bbe0ccb
> ntdll.dll
> 6.1.7600.16559
> 4ba9b21e
> c0000005
> 000619f1
> f20
> 01cbb9bdc34306bd
> C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5\Programs
>\CorelDRW.exe

In XP at least, that path name should have been in quotes, because it
contains spaces.

Try navigating to C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite
X5\Programs, then double-clicking on CorelDRW.exe

On Jan 22, 12:32*pm, Ted <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:57:11 -0800 (PST), Boppy
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Thanks guys.

> >I have added CorelDRW to the firewall exceptions so it's not that.

> >THis is the event log: can it tell you anything that may help?

> >+ System

> > *- Provider

> > * [ Name] *Application Error

> > *- EventID 1000

> > * [ Qualifiers] *0

> > * Level 2

> > * Task 100

> > * Keywords 0x80000000000000

> > *- TimeCreated

> > * [ SystemTime] *2011-01-21T22:51:48.000000000Z

> > * EventRecordID 255845

> > * Channel Application

> > * Computer JO-PC

> > * Security

> >- EventData

> > * CorelDRW.exe
> > * 15.0.0.489
> > * 4bbe0ccb
> > * ntdll.dll
> > * 6.1.7600.16559
> > * 4ba9b21e
> > * c0000005
> > * 000619f1
> > * f20
> > * 01cbb9bdc34306bd
> > * C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5\Programs
> >\CorelDRW.exe

> In XP at least, that path name should have been in quotes, because it
> contains spaces.
>
> Try *navigating to *C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite
> X5\Programs, then double-clicking on CorelDRW.exe

yep that's what i've been doing to no avial