Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > free hotmail a/c setup outlook express

free hotmail a/c setup outlook express

santosh

hi group
I am not sure free hotmail account setup outlook express.
please help me

VanguardLH

santosh wrote:

> I am not sure free hotmail account setup outlook express.

Back in September 2009, Microsoft switched from WebDAV to Deltasync
(both are HTTP-based protocols) to access their Hotmail servers. Both
gave you IMAP-like access to your Hotmail account so you could see all
the folders in your account; however, WebDAV support is gone (at the
servers). OE is a dead e-mail client (went dead back in 2002). OE only
supports WebDAV for HTTP access. OE will never get updated to add
Deltasync support.

OE also supports POP and IMAP access methods to e-mail servers. Hotmail
never has had IMAP access (and Microsoft keeps coming up with new
proprietary protocols to, in their mind, obviate the need for the
international standards IMAP). So you're left with POP access to your
Hotmail account if you continue using OE.

If you continue using OE, you're stuck using POP to access your Hotmail
account. Later Microsoft e-mail clients added Deltasync support so you
can use that for IMAP-like access to all folders in your Hotmail
accounts.

Read Hotmail's own web help pages on the POP and SMTP mail servers you
specify when defining a POP account in OE. Start here:

http://support.live.com/

Pick "Windows Live Hotmail". If the client settings isn't one of the
top questions then search on "pop outlook express".

_FYI_
OE newsgroup is over there --> microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general

Kele

Santosh, when you ask a question(s) here, reply back after receiving answers
(if any) so we know you understand and the problem resolved.

Do you understand what Vanguard is saying? If you go to Hotmail and find
the Support/Help about setting up mail forwarding (POP); that's what you
need to make Hotmail forward to your Outlook Express. I'm not saying to
sign-up for Windows Live!

I don't use Outlook Express that way, but I do use Mozilla Thunderbird
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/ to display mail from
Hotmail and others. I actually use GMX Mail http://www.gmx.com/ to gather
from all my on-line mail accounts (Mail Collector) and then when I open
Thunderbird, it gets from GMX. Hotmail now has a simular "collector"
function, but the beauty of having GMX too is that there is another spam
blocker in the chain (Hotmail and GMX and Thunderbird). GMX and Thunderbird
both have very clear instructions for mail forwarding.

Consider this Santosh... Do you have a private email for which you only
give to friends & family and another email for use on-line (membership,
subscriptions, etc)? I'm saying it's nice to have an email account that
isn't loaded with spam and another that is spam expected. My Outlook (ISP
provided email account) is personal/private and almost spam free while my
Hotmail/GMX is the one I give out on-line (public) and those get loaded with
spam - but that's ok.

----------------
"santosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
hi group
I am not sure free hotmail account setup outlook express.
please help me

shchitrali shchitrali is offline
Junior Member

Never go for hotmail...........its the most unreliable service... any time they can deny access to your account.......specially when u have some important mails inside........ i have experienced this....... try gmail or yahooooooooooooooo that are the best

shchitrali shchitrali is offline
Junior Member

avoid using Hotmail at maximum