Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Video tapes to DVD

Video tapes to DVD

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

I have a USB dongle to capture video tapes via Ulead Video Studio.

Configuration set to DVD regiosn 3 and Pal videu system.

The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
portable DVD player.

Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?

Rhino

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:29:13 +1300,
"Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a USB dongle to capture video tapes via Ulead Video Studio.
>
>Configuration set to DVD regiosn 3 and Pal videu system.
>
>The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
>portable DVD player.
>
>Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?

DVD region for Aus/NZ is 4. PAL is correct for your output.

Are you using single or dual layer dvds? I have found that some dual
layer ones play ok in the drive that burnt them on the PC, but not in
dvd players/recorders.

Cheers, Rhino

Brocker

On Jan 17, 4:29*pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a USB dongle to capture video tapes via Ulead Video Studio.
>
> Configuration set to DVD regiosn 3 and Pal videu system.
>
> The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
> portable DVD player.
>
> Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?

Because what you have is neither Divx or DVD. A further step is
required to convert it to Divx (which many players support) or produce
a standard DVD. Divx makers can be found for free not sure of DVD
makers.
Nero has one where you just drop .mpg file and create and burn a
standard DVD.

Gordon

On 2011-01-17, Brocker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 4:29*pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a USB dongle to capture video tapes via Ulead Video Studio.
>>
>> Configuration set to DVD regiosn 3 and Pal videu system.
>>
>> The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
>> portable DVD player.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?

> Because what you have is neither Divx or DVD. A further step is
> required to convert it to Divx (which many players support) or produce
> a standard DVD. Divx makers can be found for free not sure of DVD
> makers.

Devede, free as in speech and home page is at

http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html.

Interface is a bit zany.

Ms Windows plaform folks go here http://www.majorsilence.com/devede.

Rremember to give a donation if it works for you.

William Brown

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a USB dongle to capture video tapes via Ulead Video Studio.
>
>Configuration set to DVD regiosn 3 and Pal videu system.
>
>The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
>portable DVD player.
>
>Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?

Read the Manual of the DVD Player it will give you the info of the Video
formats that are supported or Post the Model No. here.

The Region here is 4 unless the Player has been made Multi region.

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:45:48 +1300, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:29:13 +1300, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have a USB dongle to capture video tapes via Ulead Video Studio.
>>
>>Configuration set to DVD regiosn 3 and Pal videu system.
>>
>>The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
>>portable DVD player.
>>
>>Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?

>Read the Manual of the DVD Player it will give you the info of the Video
>formats that are supported or Post the Model No. here.
>
>The Region here is 4 unless the Player has been made Multi region.

But you should never bother to create a disk for yourself that has
region encoding - just make it region 0 ie region free.

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

>But you should never bother to create a disk for yourself that has
>region encoding - just make it region 0 ie region free.

I agree: but it appears that the software must be configured
with a region before it will load.

Tks to all for suggestions: I've now make a disk that is read on
the portable appliance.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:

>>... it appears that the software must be configured with a region before
>>it will load.

Stupid software.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>But you should never bother to create a disk for yourself that has
>>region encoding - just make it region 0 ie region free.

> I agree: but it appears that the software must be configured
>with a region before it will load.
>
> Tks to all for suggestions: I've now make a disk that is read on
>the portable appliance.

Great ... care to say what you did that worked - for those of us yet to try
it ?

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

In January I sought help if finding software to resolve a problem
with video tapes 'converted' to DVDs that could not be read by
portable DVD player.

One contributor asked that I report my expderience.

What follows worked for me—all DVDs are now reader from a
portable player.

I used four programs while converting video tapes to DVD.

1. Ulead Video Studio (bundled with EasyCap appliance.This device
was bought from a TradeMe trader. I chose the slightly dearer model to
secure the latest version of the bundled software.)
www.ulead.com

2. Video Dub (one of the components of DVDVideoSoft)
www.dvdvideosoft.com Free Studio

3. Free Video to DVD Converter (another component of DVDVideoSoft)

4. DVD Shrink
(Search needed to find this program)

1. Capture : Note this functions takes time—a full three-hour tape
takes at least the same time to be captured. With a second computer
this is no great disadvantage, other than making the best use of the
remainder of your day or evening.

The EasyCap adapter includes clearly labelled and standard colour
coded RCA and S-Video connectors.

The outrun of the capture process is an .mpg file.

Note that the default file location is buried in the Documents
and Setting folder. I found it simpler to nominate a folder on an
external hard drive with adequate capacity, as the outrun files
commonly run to several GBs.

I elected not to use the bundled video editing software, but used
recommended alternatives. Nevertheless the ULead software is supported
with adequate/good bundled manual. The manual assumes users have
sufficient knowledge to make informed choices (about video systems,
frames rates etc). As a tyro I adopted the recommended or default
settings and achieved acceptable results, considering the original
videos were amateur prepared records of travel tours.

The software provides for all resources from capture (Movie
Wizard) to dubbing, editing, making titles to disk burning(none of
which I used). I elected to burn disks with another product I already
knew well.

The adapter also captures streaming TV programs.

I'm unsure about the impact of the on-board audio resources on
final audio quality of the burned disks, as I have little knowledge or
experience in this field.

2. I found the video dub feature in Ulead not easy to use, and used
instead DVDVideoSoft's dubbing element—Video Dub.

The dubbing options are clearly marked on a dubbing bar and
on-screen access to a schedule of shortcuts sped up the dubbing
process.

In my case dubbing usually consisted of removing blank segments
at the beginning and end of the captured material introduced by
starting the capture process immediately before starting the video
source player, and not being immediately available to stop the capture
process when the video tape ran out.
Each section to be removed is marked and immediately deleted.
After all deletions have been made the file is reprocessed and
saved. This may only take 20–30 minutes.

As an experiment I successfully removed the 'Intermission'
segment of a 2½ hr program captured from TV.

Note: Free Studeo consists of eight selections covering a range
of image and audio functions and YouTube and Apple features. Each
component of each selection is represented by a separate executable
file. Having reviewed all the functons offered, I needed just two for
my project, but the others have been retained against future use.

3. I used the Free Video to DVD Converter to process the dubbed .mpg
to VTS files for burning to disk.

This is a second time-consuming process and creates large groups
of files.

4. I used DVDShrink when necessary to reduce the VTS files to a
single disk file size before burning to disk and verification with
Ashampoo Burning Studio.

DVDShrink is no longer available from the proprietors but may
still be found on various archive sites.

5. Note all these processes have been achieved with 'free' or
'bundled licence' versions of proprietory software.