Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows SP1 Leaked

Windows SP1 Leaked

William Brown

Windows 7 SP1 Final RTM (7601.17514.101119-1850) Leaked Download

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2011/0...aked-download/

Nathan Mercer

On Jan 16, 12:49*pm, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Windows 7 SP1 Final RTM (7601.17514.101119-1850) Leaked Download
>
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2011/0...final-rtm-7601...

this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you
are not downloading it from the source

Why don't you just wait for Microsoft to declare they have finished
developing SP1, and make it available for free download?

FWIW Windows 7 SP1 is not even signed off as final yet

Cheers
Nathan

Sweetpea

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:45:35 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> On Jan 16, 12:49Â*pm, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Windows 7 SP1 Final RTM (7601.17514.101119-1850) Leaked Download
>>
>> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2011/0...s-7-sp1-final-

rtm-7601...

> this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you are
> not downloading it from the source
>
> Why don't you just wait for Microsoft to declare they have finished
> developing SP1, and make it available for free download?
>
> FWIW Windows 7 SP1 is not even signed off as final yet

Anything like this "leaked" software from Microsoft is usually available
deliberately. The only possible options are that Microsoft's security is
sub standard, or that persons with authorised access released it to
someone in the public.

Enkidu

On 16/01/11 16:24, EMB wrote:
> On 16/01/2011 3:45 p.m., Nathan Mercer wrote:
>> On Jan 16, 12:49 pm, William Brown<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Windows 7 SP1 Final RTM (7601.17514.101119-1850) Leaked Download
>>>
>>> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2011/0...final-rtm-7601...

this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you
>> are not downloading it from the source
>>
>> Why don't you just wait for Microsoft to declare they have
>> finished developing SP1, and make it available for free download?
>>
>> FWIW Windows 7 SP1 is not even signed off as final yet

> So why has it been released to OEMs to be included as part of new
> system builds?

For their testing?

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Nathan
Mercer wrote:

> this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you
> are not downloading it from the source

Open-source projects publish SHA-1 or similar hash digests of their package
releases. This way you can get the package itself from anywhere you like,
and then verify it against the original source.

But of course proprietary software companies are incapable of doing things
that way, aren’t they?

Sweetpea

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:35:09 +1300, EMB wrote:

>> Anything like this "leaked" software from Microsoft is usually
>> available deliberately. The only possible options are that Microsoft's
>> security is sub standard, or that persons with authorised access
>> released it to someone in the public.

> Deliberate (but not on MS's part) sounds likely as it has been released
> to OEMs

How do you know that it wasn't done by Microsoft?

What would be their advantage for releasing it? And what would be their
advantage for keeping it locked up?

Enkidu

On 16/01/11 19:35, EMB wrote:

> The testing phase is supposedly over (we've been a part of it and have a
> pretty good idea of the timeline).

That's the versions that are preinstalled on disks that go to system
builders?

On Jan 16, 9:58*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:35:09 +1300, EMB wrote:
> >> Anything like this "leaked" software from Microsoft is usually
> >> available deliberately. The only possible options are that Microsoft's
> >> security is sub standard, or that persons with authorised access
> >> released it to someone in the public.

> > Deliberate (but not on MS's part) sounds likely as it has been released
> > to OEMs

> How do you know that it wasn't done by Microsoft?
>
> What would be their advantage for releasing it? And what would be their
> advantage for keeping it locked up?

Its really quite simple, Windows 7 SP1 is close to being ready but it
is not signed off on as being the final finished SP1 release already

Why download something off the Internet when you can download it from
the source once it is ready

Nathan Mercer

On Jan 16, 7:35*pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 16/01/2011 6:37 p.m., Enkidu wrote:

> > this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you

> >> So why has it been released to OEMs to be included as part of new
> >> system builds?

> > For their testing?

> Released by the look of it -http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/14/windows_7_service_pack_1/
>
> The testing phase is supposedly over (we've been a part of it and have a
> pretty good idea of the timeline).- Hide quoted text -

The Reg is wrong, it is not final yet, hasn't been signed off on as
final by the various Microsoft stakeholders, the article is just plain
wrong, going off a Russian blog poster

Nathan Mercer

On Jan 16, 4:24*pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 16/01/2011 3:45 p.m., Nathan Mercer wrote:
>
> > On Jan 16, 12:49 pm, William Brown<(E-Mail Removed)> *wrote:
> >> Windows 7 SP1 Final RTM (7601.17514.101119-1850) Leaked Download

> >>http://www.mydigitallife.info/2011/0...final-rtm-7601....

> > this could have any piece of malware included in it, given that you
> > are not downloading it from the source

> > Why don't you just wait for Microsoft to declare they have finished
> > developing SP1, and make it available for free download?

> > FWIW Windows 7 SP1 is not even signed off as final yet

> So why has it been released to OEMs to be included as part of new system
> builds?

it hasn't been released yet