Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > "Guest" Account w/o Access To Local Network?

"Guest" Account w/o Access To Local Network?

(PeteCresswell)

Understood that routers like LinkSys' E3000 have this facility
built in.

But, given that one has a WAP and/or a wireless router to
dedicate - but only one ISP account - is there any way to hook
that WAP and/or wireless router up to the local network so that
it presents an SSID that allows guests to connect to the internet
but not to get at the local network?
--
PeteCresswell

Brian Cryer

On 15/01/2011 01:44, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Understood that routers like LinkSys' E3000 have this facility
> built in.
>
> But, given that one has a WAP and/or a wireless router to
> dedicate - but only one ISP account - is there any way to hook
> that WAP and/or wireless router up to the local network so that
> it presents an SSID that allows guests to connect to the internet
> but not to get at the local network?

Its easier with a wireless router than with a WAP.

What I'd do is:
1. Connect the "guest" wireless router directly to your internet connection.
2. Connect your "private" router to your guest router. Note that this
MUST be connected to the port labelled something along the lines of
"connects to cable/dsl modem". This is because we want to create two
separate networks, not extend a single network.

So, assuming the "guest" router has 4 ports and the "private" router
both have 4 ports, then the private router would be plugged into one of
the guest router's 4 ports, and the guest router should then have all of
its 4 ports available for you to use.

It might be easier to assign different networks to each (say 192.168.x.x
to one and 10.0.0.x to the other - but this isn't really necessary
unless you want to be able to conect to the admin page of your public
router from inside your private network). Because your "private" network
is behind your "private" router anyone conncting to your "guest" network
won't be able to browse into it.

If you want to use a WAP then the above won't work because a WAP
connects to your network (whereas a router allows you to create separate
networks).

I've used the above to provide a "public" (guest) network and a
"private" network. Seems to work well, haven't found any issues yet
(other than the need for two routers).

--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk

(PeteCresswell)

Per Brian Cryer:
>If you want to use a WAP then the above won't work because a WAP
>connects to your network (whereas a router allows you to create separate
>networks).

Thanks. I really meant "wireless router" instead of WAP bc
that's what I have extras of.
--
PeteCresswell