Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > pbxes.org as an alternitive to ring2skype.com

pbxes.org as an alternitive to ring2skype.com

Graham.

I know ring2skype is quite popular, but unfortunately it has not proved 100% reliable, and
having a common number + a three digit extension perhaps isn't ideal for everybody.

I noticed that pbxes.org has quietly introduced skype integration as an outgoing
service, and there is even a suggestion they might provide an incoming service in the future.

So for now we can (say) set up a Sipgate account as a trunk in pbxes, and point
an inbound route to forward calls to a uri in the form skypename@skype

I-P-Tel (pbxes) suggest that any Skype client that is to receive the calls is set to
"allow anyone to call" but my tests show all calls come from skype-user "skype.pbxes.org"
so just adding that user to your contacts works OK.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Graham.

> Sorry to be a simpleton Graham, but could you post brief instructions as
> to how to archive this please?
>
> I have set up a pbxes account and already have a Skype account and
> various SIP addresses but cannot work out, what goes where.
>
> Sorry to be a PITA.

Happy to help!
For this task you only need to configure two screens in pbxes: Trunks and Inbound Route
I've used a Sipgate trunk, others should work.

In Add Trunk : select SIP trunk
fill in:
Trunk name: Anything you want, eg. SIPGATE
user name: 7 digit SIP ID
password: the SIP password, 9 uppercase letters in the case of Sipgate
SIP server or proxy: sipgate.co.uk if you're using Sipgate
click "submit changes" and click the red bar that appears.

Now create an inbound route
New incoming route
Trunk: exactly the same name you gave to the trunk so SIPGATE in this case
Select the SIP URI radio button and put skypename@skype in the adjacent field.
obviously substituting a real skypename. Submit changes & click red bar.

Leave all other options blank or default, give the trunk a while to register, then dial it.

Incidentally the pbxes web interface is similar to that used in Asterisk at Home/Trixbox/
FreePBX.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Nigel chose
the tried and tested strategy of:

> After doing some research i see it is a limit of pbxes .See:-
>
> http://www3.pbxes.com/community_e.php?display=wiki

Not sure if someone's been having a giraffe with the wiki here:

http://www3.pbxes.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ

# You charged me premium rates and cancelled my pro account, did I loose my
# money?

# Yes, there is no way you ever get a refund. We just take your money and do
# not respond to any questions.

17:28:57 up 19 days, 2:25, 6 users, load average: 0.01, 0.13, 0.59
-- Andrew Crossley, ACS:Law, 13 August 2010

Graham.

"Nigel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:igse49$a5b$(E-Mail Removed)...

> After doing some research i see it is a limit of pbxes .See:-

Bugger, that will teach me to read the small print.
Mind you, 3 min is plenty for what I need it for.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Graham.

"Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Graham,
>
> I followed what you said.
>
> I dialled the trunk number and I had a female voice say "The service
> cannot be connected"
>
> I then substituted another SIP URI that I have and when I rang the trunk
> number, it did indeed ring the phone connected to the new incoming
> route.
>
> I then replaced the SIPURI with myusedID@skppe and again, I got the same
> message as I originally had.
>
> I should also point out that I had previously amended my Skype setting
> to allow calls from anyone.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks again for all your help and patience.

Odd that. Try echo123@skype
if that dosn't work try http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) & (E-Mail Removed)
let me know how you get on.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Graham.

"Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 02:01:44 -0000, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Graham,
>>>
>>> I followed what you said.
>>>
>>> I dialled the trunk number and I had a female voice say "The service
>>> cannot be connected"
>>>
>>> I then substituted another SIP URI that I have and when I rang the trunk
>>> number, it did indeed ring the phone connected to the new incoming
>>> route.
>>>
>>> I then replaced the SIPURI with myusedID@skppe and again, I got the same
>>> message as I originally had.
>>>
>>> I should also point out that I had previously amended my Skype setting
>>> to allow calls from anyone.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks again for all your help and patience.

>>Odd that. Try echo123@skype
>>if that dosn't work try (E-Mail Removed) & (E-Mail Removed)
>>let me know how you get on.

> Thanks for the latest advice. I can report that echo123@skype gave me
> the same "The service cannot be connected" message. However, both
> (E-Mail Removed) & (E-Mail Removed) worked fine. The
> (E-Mail Removed) message said welcome to Gizmo5!
>
> Most peculiar that only Skype seems to be the problem.

It's not working for me now, no announcement, just dead.
Also the Skype user that I added manually to my Skype client (skype.pbxes.org)
is greyed out like it's off-line. Strange this should happen when a few of us begin playing
with it. I don't suppose there could be a connection

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Graham.

"Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:30:32 -0000, "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>It's not working for me now, no announcement, just dead.
>>Also the Skype user that I added manually to my Skype client (skype.pbxes.org)
>>is greyed out like it's off-line. Strange this should happen when a few of us begin playing
>>with it. I don't suppose there could be a connection

> Well it's good to hear that it wasn't just me I guess!
>
> Thanks again for all your help to date.

FWIW it's working again

--
Graham.