Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win7 x64

Win7 x64

Jeff Gaines

On 14/01/2011 in message <igoamr$cvr$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org> wilby
wrote:

>I somehow installed the new Canoscan software that came with my new (2
>years ago) scanner, but installed the older Omnipage software. As I
>recall, it wasn't compatible with win-7.

Thanks, Wilby.

I have managed to do that on XP x64 as well - install the Canon s/w then
persuade Omnipage to recognise the new scanner. It's still a good OCR app,
old as it is.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Charlie Russel-MVP

Yes, we paid the pain going to Vista 64, and by the time we got to Win7 64,
it was a big improvement. Changes your attitude.

And I couldn't agree more about XP x64 being like your first love. (though
goodness knows I've been doing this a LONG time.) There will always be a
special place in my heart for XP x64, but I wouldn't run it now.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 13 ene, 15:44, "Charlie Russel-MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Actually, you really ought to spend the time to get there. Way too many
>> things aren't supported at all on XP x64, and that won't improve going
>> forward. Yes, the UI takes some getting used to, things are in different
>> places and have different requirements. But honestly, once you get past
>> that
>> initial learning curve (and I'm not trying to minimize it at all), you'll
>> find Win7 is a more productive place to work. One thing that helped me
>> get
>> past the "where did they put it" issues was to use the command line for
>> several things that are now in a different spot. For example, the Network
>> Connections dialog that lets you change the settings for a NIC. Several
>> mouse clicks deeper than it should be, but "ncpa.cpl" at the command line
>> works in every modern version of Windows to get to that exact same
>> screen.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel
>>
>> "Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> > On 13/01/2011 in message
>> > <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> > Carlos

>> > I've put XP x64 back on, the Canon works fine with it and I've been
>> > able
>> > to recover my 2 websites that became corrupted.
>> > I don't know why but I just cannot get on with Win7, I really ought to
>> > stop trying!

>> > --
>> > Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
>> > If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
>> > will stop making it- Ocultar texto de la cita -

>> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

> Hi Charlie,
> Maybe it was easier for us because our path was XP x64, Vista x64, Win
> 7 x64.
> Jumping from XP x64 to Win 7 x64 is sort of a "religious" experience.
>
> I do like Windows 7, don't want to go back, though XP x64 will be like
> my first girlfriend.
> Carlos

John Turco

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> On 13/01/2011 in message <ignh7a$d2q$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org> Charlie
> Russel-MVP wrote:
>
> >Actually, you really ought to spend the time to get there. Way too many
> >things aren't supported at all on XP x64, and that won't improve going
> >forward. Yes, the UI takes some getting used to, things are in different
> >places and have different requirements. But honestly, once you get past
> >that initial learning curve (and I'm not trying to minimize it at all),
> >you'll find Win7 is a more productive place to work. One thing that helped
> >me get past the "where did they put it" issues was to use the command line
> >for several things that are now in a different spot. For example, the
> >Network Connections dialog that lets you change the settings for a NIC.
> >Several mouse clicks deeper than it should be, but "ncpa.cpl" at the
> >command line works in every modern version of Windows to get to that exact
> >same screen.

> I put my thoughts together on my website a while back:
> http://www.jgaines.me.uk/html/windows_7.html
>
> XP x64 does everything I want it to (at the moment). I don't upgrade for
> the sake of it - I still use Office 97 because no later version does
> anything more or better. I did upgrade to Access 2007 as it had a feature
> that Access 97 didn't but Word and Excel still only produce letters and
> spreadsheets (as did my BBC Micro in 1982 or thereabouts).
> I just can't see any advantages, every MSFT OS gets bigger and slower,
> W2K flies on modern equipment but Win7 just soaks up the cycles.
>
> At the end of the day it's an OS and I use my machine for running
> applications, I don't even want to be aware of the OS.

I happen to be the same way, Jeff. For example, I still use Netscape
Communicator 4.8, as my news reader and e-mail application. Not only
is it some 8 years old, but..its maker has long since, become extinct!

Last month (Dec., 2010), in fact, I'd "upgraded" to Paint Shop Pro
Photo XI. This program was released in 2006; nonetheless, it's quite
a bit newer than my previous version (i.e., 2000's Paint Shop Pro 7).

I'm only referring to my current, antique, homemade desktop computer
(PIII 1050MHz, XP Home 32-bit), with its modest hardware capabilities.
My next PC build will feature Vista Home Premium 64-bit, running on an
Intel Q6700 "Core 2 Quad" 2.66GHz processor.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Kue2

John that new build will run Win 7 64 nicely

Kue2 wrote:

> "John Turco" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Jeff Gaines wrote:
> >
> > On 13/01/2011 in message <ignh7a$d2q$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org> Charlie
> > Russel-MVP wrote:
> >
> > >Actually, you really ought to spend the time to get there. Way too many
> > >things aren't supported at all on XP x64, and that won't improve going
> > >forward. Yes, the UI takes some getting used to, things are in different
> > >places and have different requirements. But honestly, once you get past
> > >that initial learning curve (and I'm not trying to minimize it at all),
> > >you'll find Win7 is a more productive place to work. One thing that
> > >helped me get past the "where did they put it" issues was to use the
> > >command line for several things that are now in a different spot. For
> > >example, the Network Connections dialog that lets you change the settings
> > >for a NIC. Several mouse clicks deeper than it should be, but "ncpa.cpl"
> > >at the command line works in every modern version of Windows to get to
> > >that exact same screen.

> > I put my thoughts together on my website a while back:
> > http://www.jgaines.me.uk/html/windows_7.html
> >
> > XP x64 does everything I want it to (at the moment). I don't upgrade for
> > the sake of it - I still use Office 97 because no later version does
> > anything more or better. I did upgrade to Access 2007 as it had a feature
> > that Access 97 didn't but Word and Excel still only produce letters and
> > spreadsheets (as did my BBC Micro in 1982 or thereabouts).
> > I just can't see any advantages, every MSFT OS gets bigger and slower,
> > W2K flies on modern equipment but Win7 just soaks up the cycles.
> >
> > At the end of the day it's an OS and I use my machine for running
> > applications, I don't even want to be aware of the OS.

> I happen to be the same way, Jeff. For example, I still use Netscape
> Communicator 4.8, as my news reader and e-mail application. Not only
> is it some 8 years old, but..its maker has long since, become extinct!
>
> Last month (Dec., 2010), in fact, I'd "upgraded" to Paint Shop Pro
> Photo XI. This program was released in 2006; nonetheless, it's quite
> a bit newer than my previous version (i.e., 2000's Paint Shop Pro 7).
>
> I'm only referring to my current, antique, homemade desktop computer
> (PIII 1050MHz, XP Home 32-bit), with its modest hardware capabilities.
> My next PC build will feature Vista Home Premium 64-bit, running on an
> Intel Q6700 "Core 2 Quad" 2.66GHz processor.
>

> John that new build will run Win 7 64 nicely

I'm sure you're right -- thanks!

Regardless, this "Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit"
OEM DVD, cost me $109.99 USD (Newegg.com <http://www.newegg.com>),
way back on August 4, 2008; I'd like to get my money's worth from
it, therefore.

As to Windows 7 64-bit, my eMachines "E725-4520" notebook (Pentium
T4400 "dual-core" 2.20GHz) came with it. I've owned the computer,
for about 10 months and have rarely even turned it on.

My brief encounters with Win7, hardly left me enamored of the OS,
I must admit. It isn't nearly as user-friendly, as XP and earlier
Windows versions were.

Further, Communicator 4.8 wouldn't install, on the E725-4520 --
but, Paint Shop Pro 7 >did<. That's sort of strange, as they're
both 32-bit apps.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>