Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus: "It's the end, the END!!!"

Olympus: "It's the end, the END!!!"

RichA

20%? With Canon and Nikon very likely to come online in the next year
with mirror-less cameras? With ultra huge Samsung wanting more?
Competing directly with Panasonic (also huge) directly on m4/3rds?
Bye, bye, Olympus.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUKT...4?pageNumber=2

otter

On Jan 10, 9:35*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 20%? *With Canon and Nikon very likely to come online in the next year
> with mirror-less cameras? *With ultra huge Samsung wanting more?
> Competing directly with Panasonic (also huge) directly on m4/3rds?
> Bye, bye, Olympus.
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUKT...4?pageNumber=2

20% is actually higher than I expected. How much of the market do
Canon+Nikon have? It must be less than 80%. Say it's 60 to 70%. If
split equally, that means they only have 30 to 35% market share each,
themselves. Not so much more that Olympus couldn't be a niche
player. That's IF, of course, they actually get the 20%.

otter

On Jan 10, 11:06*pm, otter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 10, 9:35*pm, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > 20%? *With Canon and Nikon very likely to come online in the next year
> > with mirror-less cameras? *With ultra huge Samsung wanting more?
> > Competing directly with Panasonic (also huge) directly on m4/3rds?
> > Bye, bye, Olympus.

> >http://www.reuters.com/article/idUKT...4?pageNumber=2

> 20% is actually higher than I expected. *How much of the market do
> Canon+Nikon have? *It must be less than 80%. *Say it's 60 to 70%. *If
> split equally, that means they only have 30 to 35% market share each,
> themselves. *Not so much more that Olympus couldn't be a niche
> player. *That's IF, of course, they actually get the 20%.

You gave a link to the second page of a two page article, which didn't
have much on it. I see they are predicting micro 4/3rds will be 20%
of the total interchangable lens camera market. That makes more
sense, and gets Olympus back to probably a 6-7% share or so.