Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus XZ-1, so much for a "larger" sensor

Olympus XZ-1, so much for a "larger" sensor

Rich

It has a sensor the size of the Panasonic LX-5, but you still (at low
ISO) see noise in the sky and horrible blockiness in the fine detail
from unavaidable noise-reduction. The cram-all-pixels-in-at-all-costs
P&S design mantra is really bad.

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.co...13gu%2bQClk%3d

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>It has a sensor the size of the Panasonic LX-5, but you still (at low
>ISO) see noise in the sky and horrible blockiness in the fine detail
>from unavaidable noise-reduction. The cram-all-pixels-in-at-all-costs
>P&S design mantra is really bad.

The 1/1.63" Sony sensor in the XZ-1, LX-5, G12 and P7000 is very much
larger than in the average p&s digicam*. The results are not of pro
DSLR quality, but they are massively better than the average p&s
digicam is capable of producing. At base ISO, they are very good
indeed, and are comparable (but not equal) with consumer DSLRs.

But let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good "Rich rant".

Rich

On Jan 10, 2:33*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >It has a sensor the size of the Panasonic LX-5, but you still (at low
> >ISO) see noise in the sky and horrible blockiness in the fine detail
> >from unavaidable noise-reduction. *The cram-all-pixels-in-at-all-costs
> >P&S design mantra is really bad.

> The 1/1.63" Sony sensor in the XZ-1, LX-5, G12 and P7000 is very much
> larger than in the average p&s digicam*. *The results are not of pro
> DSLR quality, but they are massively better than the average p&s
> digicam is capable of producing. *At base ISO, they are very good
> indeed, and are comparable (but not equal) with consumer DSLRs.
>
> But let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good "Rich rant".

The only thing you confirmed is it is SMALL, and is too pixel-dense.
Thanks for that.

Rich

On Jan 10, 3:02*pm, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 1/10/2011 2:33 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
> > Rich<(E-Mail Removed)> *wrote:
> >> It has a sensor the size of the Panasonic LX-5, but you still (at low
> >> ISO) see noise in the sky and horrible blockiness in the fine detail
> >>from unavaidable noise-reduction. *The cram-all-pixels-in-at-all-costs
> >> P&S design mantra is really bad.

> > The 1/1.63" Sony sensor in the XZ-1, LX-5, G12 and P7000 is very much
> > larger than in the average p&s digicam*. *The results are not of pro
> > DSLR quality, but they are massively better than the average p&s
> > digicam is capable of producing. *At base ISO, they are very good
> > indeed, and are comparable (but not equal) with consumer DSLRs.

> > But let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good "Rich rant".

> I've seen the samples, but I'll wait until I can download and process a
> few RAW files. So far, I'm not really liking what I see from the XZ-1.

All I want...is for them to bring out a 2/3" sensor with a fixed lens,
about 30mm or so equivalent. Keep the megapixels at 10M and make it
pocketable. That to me is a P&S worth owning. Maybe.

Rich

On Jan 11, 1:16*pm, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <54aa581a-c182-45eb-bd67-fb0311fee032@
> 22g2000prx.googlegroups.com>, Rich says...
>
> > All I want...is for them to bring out a 2/3" sensor with a fixed lens,
> > about 30mm or so equivalent. *Keep the megapixels at 10M and make it
> > pocketable. That to me is a P&S worth owning. *Maybe.

> The sensor of the XZ-1 is 1/1.63", which means 8.08x6.01mm - almost the
> size of 2/3" (8.8x6.6mm). It has 10MP and the XZ-1 is pocketable.
> --

Then, IMO, it's output is worse than a 9 year old high-end P&S with 8
megapixels, at least those photos show that.