Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Samsung, and not one higher-end body to put it on

Samsung, and not one higher-end body to put it on

RichA

"Now they'll take us seriously!!"
Canon and Nikon must be laughing up a storm.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/articles/C...P1061123.jpg?1

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Now they'll take us seriously!!"
>Canon and Nikon must be laughing up a storm.
>
>http://a.img-dpreview.com/articles/C...P1061123.jpg?1

The lens is made for Samsung by Samyang of Korea. It is optically
similar to the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 for Canon and Nikon mount. On an
APS-C sensor, it gives an angle of view comparable to a 135mm lens on
full frame.

For some strange reason, 135mm is the focal length favoured by
Japanese photographers for portraiture. Here in the West, something
between 85mm and 105mm is more commonly used.

This Samsung lens is a valid product and, whether you like it or not,
it does make a serious statement of intent about the company's range
of mirrorless cameras. Over the Christmas shopping period and into
the first week of 2011, we sold so many Samsung NX100s that we had to
re-order twice. If Samsung products prove to be reliable, and the
signs so far are that they are, I expect Samsung to take sales from
both Panasonic (market sector leader) and Sony (#2) during 2011. That
isn't what I expected but the sales figures tell the story.

Nikon and Canon should not delay launching their mirrorless systems,
otherwise they may find that the market has become very difficult to
break in to. For their sake, I hope their lenses are going to be very
good, because that's where current mirrorless systems are weakest.

Mike

On 08/01/2011 09:54, Bruce wrote:
> RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Now they'll take us seriously!!"
>> Canon and Nikon must be laughing up a storm.
>>
>> http://a.img-dpreview.com/articles/C...P1061123.jpg?1

> The lens is made for Samsung by Samyang of Korea. It is optically
> similar to the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 for Canon and Nikon mount. On an
> APS-C sensor, it gives an angle of view comparable to a 135mm lens on
> full frame.
>
> For some strange reason, 135mm is the focal length favoured by
> Japanese photographers for portraiture. Here in the West, something
> between 85mm and 105mm is more commonly used.

Smaller subject matter.

Mike

RichA

On Jan 8, 4:54*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Now they'll take us seriously!!"
> >Canon and Nikon must be laughing up a storm.

> >http://a.img-dpreview.com/articles/C...P1061123.jpg?1

> The lens is made for Samsung by Samyang of Korea. *It is optically
> similar to the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 for Canon and Nikon mount. *On an
> APS-C sensor, it gives an angle of view comparable to a 135mm lens on
> full frame. *

I had a feeling about the Samyang. I wonder how much the price will
increase with AF? Good lens optically though.

> For some strange reason, 135mm is the focal length favoured by
> Japanese photographers for portraiture. *Here in the West, something
> between 85mm and 105mm is more commonly used.
>
> This Samsung lens is a valid product and, whether you like it or not,
> it does make a serious statement of intent about the company's range
> of mirrorless cameras. *Over the Christmas shopping period and into
> the first week of 2011, we sold so many Samsung NX100s that we had to
> re-order twice. *If Samsung products prove to be reliable, and the
> signs so far are that they are, I expect Samsung to take sales from
> both Panasonic (market sector leader) and Sony (#2) during 2011. *That
> isn't what I expected but the sales figures tell the story.
>
> Nikon and Canon should not delay launching their mirrorless systems,
> otherwise they may find that the market has become very difficult to
> break in to. *For their sake, I hope their lenses are going to be very
> good, because that's where current mirrorless systems are weakest.

The Samsung lenses aren't bad. Better than the Sony NEX lenses at any
rate. Honestly, Nikon and Canon are going to bury Olympus and
Samsung, once they get going. Panasonic will be ok.

Bruce

Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce wrote:
>> RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> "Now they'll take us seriously!!"
>>> Canon and Nikon must be laughing up a storm.
>>>
>>> http://a.img-dpreview.com/articles/C...P1061123.jpg?1

>> The lens is made for Samsung by Samyang of Korea. It is optically
>> similar to the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 for Canon and Nikon mount. On an
>> APS-C sensor, it gives an angle of view comparable to a 135mm lens on
>> full frame.

>Like a 127mm f/2, which is handy, except it would be as big as the body,
>so why not just put a mirror in the camera so you can actually manual
>focus the darn thing

It isn't a small lens, I agree, but it isn't that much bigger than a
Sony NEX 18-55mm zoom.

>The only thing appealing about the mirrorless cameras to me is their
>compact size with a pancake lens mounted. Or maybe this is less
>expensive because of the shorter back-focus?

Shorter back focus is not always a good thing - look at the problems
Leica had in adapting the M rangefinder design to digital while still
retaining compatibility with legacy lenses, some of which had rear
elements that came very close to the film plane. They succeeded with
the M9 but only at a very high price.

But the lack of a mirror does have some benefits, and there are some
good pancake lenses for mirrorless cameras. However, even the best of
them (Panasonic 20mm) flatters to deceive as substantial optical
corrections are made in firmware, neatly covering up optical
deficiencies.

Nevertheless, if you aren't seeking the absolute highest optical
standards, a Panasonic camera and 14mm (new), 20mm and 45mm fixed
focal length lenses would make a nice travel outfit. It would be the
modern equivalent of a Leica CL/Minolta CLE with 28mm, 40mm and 90mm
lenses, albeit with inferior optical performance.