Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > posting an html file to usenet groups

posting an html file to usenet groups

richard

Ok before you go bashing me, my intent here is to find out how one goes
about posting an html file, as an attachment, to a binary news group.
I tried it once in a test group and the attachment did not get posted as an
attachment, instead, it just became part of the message.

As I recall from the old OE stationery groups, which are all but dried up
now, there was something about needing a clssid to go with it.

So what's so damning about posting html to a binary group?
Isn't that what binary is all about?

So what's the trick in posting html attachments?

Helpful person

On Jan 7, 10:47*am, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ok before you go bashing me, my intent here is to find out how one goes
> about posting an html file, as an attachment, to a binary news group.
> I tried it once in a test group and the attachment did not get posted as an
> attachment, instead, it just became part of the message.
>
> As I recall from the old OE stationery groups, which are all but dried up
> now, there was something about needing a clssid to go with it.
>
> So what's so damning about posting html to a binary group?
> Isn't that what binary is all about?
>
> So what's the trick in posting html attachments?

Try publishing on the web and supply a link.

www.richardfisher.com

cwdjrxyz

On Jan 7, 12:47*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ok before you go bashing me, my intent here is to find out how one goes
> about posting an html file, as an attachment, to a binary news group.
> I tried it once in a test group and the attachment did not get posted as an
> attachment, instead, it just became part of the message.

It depends on how the group is configured. Many Usenet groups will not
accept html and those that do get many negative comments. Usenet dates
from a very early era of the internet, and at one time bandwidth was
much more of a concern than now. Also I would hate to think of the
commercial ad spam you would get if html were widely used on Usenet.
For many of the newer formats for forums, bulletin boards, blogs, etc,
html posts, sometimes with a few restrictions, are allowed depending
on how the owner of the group desires to set it up. Usually such
groups that allow html also allow the owner to ban posts from those
who abuse html posting policies.

The early WebTV boxes allowed html posts on both their special groups
and email. I hear that even Javascriot was supported early on, but
that support was soon dropped because of security concerns.

> As I recall from the old OE stationery groups, which are all but dried up
> now, there was something about needing a clssid to go with it.

A clssid usually concerns an ActiveX object that in gereral is
supported by IE and a few close relatives.

> So what's so damning about posting html to a binary group?
> Isn't that what binary is all about?

I will leave this for others .

>So what's the trick in posting html attachments?

Just avoid this by posting a url. On email from large commercial sites
such as newspapers, you can often select to receive either plain text
or html with images and even video content. You can view the source
code for what is going on, and there is more detail than many private
persons would want to use for personal emil.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard the sto0pid wrote:

> Ok before you go bashing me,

You do know what to expect, eh, RtS? You've earned it.

> So what's so damning about posting html to a binary group?
> Isn't that what binary is all about?

HTML is not binary. It is text with (textual) markup.

> So what's the trick in posting html attachments?

Make a RAR file of it, then post that as the attachment.

--
-bts
-In a broadband world, you are just a dialup

Jonathan N. Little

richard wrote:

> Ok before you go bashing me, my intent here is to find out how one goes
> about posting an html file, as an attachment, to a binary news group.

Why ask here? Ask in the group where you are have problems...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

richard

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 23:20:54 +0200, Sid Ismail wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 10:22:42 -0500, Sherm Pendley
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>If it's an attachment, you
>>atach the file just like any other.

> NO! No attachments in alt.html!!
>
> Post a URL
>
> Sid

hey dickhead! Yeah you.
In my original post, I stated clearly, "To a binary group as an
attachment".
Where do you see the word binaries in alt.html?

richard

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 10:22:42 -0500, Sherm Pendley wrote:

> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Ok before you go bashing me, my intent here is to find out how one goes
>> about posting an html file, as an attachment, to a binary news group.
>> I tried it once in a test group and the attachment did not get posted as an
>> attachment, instead, it just became part of the message.

> It depends on what you intend the HTML to be for - if it's supposed to
> be the message itself, you format the message as multipart/mixed to
> send both text/html and text/plain parts. If it's an attachment, you
> atach the file just like any other.
>
> sherm--

I want it to show exactly as you would see on a web site.
If you have ever been in the old OE stationery groups, then you would know
it can be done. I recall that the post needed to have a clsid to make it
show up that way. Of course, I know many clients won't decode the html as
intended anyway. So I figured I'd just post them in a zip file.

Allodoxaphobia

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:34:13 -0700, richard wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 10:22:42 -0500, Sherm Pendley wrote:
>>> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Ok before you go bashing me, my intent here is to find out how one goes
>>> about posting an html file, as an attachment, to a binary news group.

>> It depends on what you intend the HTML to be for -

> I want it to show exactly as you would see on a web site.

Oh, really??? Just how are you gonna do that in my slrn newsreader?