Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus new m4/3rds. Handsome and relatively cheap

Olympus new m4/3rds. Handsome and relatively cheap

RichA

This is from lower-end of the m4/3rds line-up. $600, in-line with the
Samsung APS, the NEX. If the AF works a little better than the last
cameras, it could be good. The lens is supposed to be optically
better than the dog 14-42mm Panasonic replaced the well-regarded
14-45mm with.

http://dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl2/page3.asp

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>This is from lower-end of the m4/3rds line-up. $600, in-line with the
>Samsung APS, the NEX. If the AF works a little better than the last
>cameras, it could be good. The lens is supposed to be optically
>better than the dog 14-42mm Panasonic replaced the well-regarded
>14-45mm with.
>
>http://dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl2/page3.asp

Still no AF assist lamp or orientation sensor.

Coming from someone who shot over 100 exposures on an E-PL1 during a
recent vacation, I can tell you that I seriously miss both of these
features.

Mike S.

In article <ig825f$d7f$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike S. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>This is from lower-end of the m4/3rds line-up. $600, in-line with the
>>Samsung APS, the NEX. If the AF works a little better than the last
>>cameras, it could be good. The lens is supposed to be optically
>>better than the dog 14-42mm Panasonic replaced the well-regarded
>>14-45mm with.
>>
>>http://dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl2/page3.asp

>Still no AF assist lamp or orientation sensor.
>
>Coming from someone who shot over 100 exposures on an E-PL1 during a
>recent vacation, I can tell you that I seriously miss both of these
>features.

Sorry ... make that "1000 exposures".

Also to add insult to injury, you can use an Olympus E-series flash on the
shoe, and while the flash has its own AF-assist lamp right there, the
&&**&^ camera refuses to use it. By design....

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote in
>news:ig825f$d7f$(E-Mail Removed):
>> In article
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>This is from lower-end of the m4/3rds line-up. $600, in-line with the
>>>Samsung APS, the NEX. If the AF works a little better than the last
>>>cameras, it could be good. The lens is supposed to be optically
>>>better than the dog 14-42mm Panasonic replaced the well-regarded
>>>14-45mm with.
>>>
>>>http://dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl2/page3.asp

>> Still no AF assist lamp or orientation sensor.

>Friend said he'd stick with the GF1 because of the AF assist.

The new GF2 got an excellent review in this week's "Amateur
Photographer". The reviewer (a DSLR user) wrote that he expected not
to like the touch screen controls. However, when he started using the
camera he found the controls intuitive and hardly used the buttons.

His only caveat was that the 12 MP sensor was somewhat restrictive
when the smaller* Sony NEX5 offers 16 MP. When the newest superzooms
are offering 16 MP on a much smaller sensor, 12 MP does seem a little
inadequate, however many pro shooters (and their clients) are very
happy with results from their 12 MP Nikon D3, D3s and D700 bodies.

*smaller body, but massively larger lenses.

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news(E-Mail Removed) :
>> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>(E-Mail Removed) (Mike S.) wrote in
>>>news:ig825f$d7f$(E-Mail Removed):

>the

>>>Friend said he'd stick with the GF1 because of the AF assist.

>> The new GF2 got an excellent review in this week's "Amateur
>> Photographer". The reviewer (a DSLR user) wrote that he expected not
>> to like the touch screen controls. However, when he started using the
>> camera he found the controls intuitive and hardly used the buttons.
>>
>> His only caveat was that the 12 MP sensor was somewhat restrictive
>> when the smaller* Sony NEX5 offers 16 MP. When the newest superzooms
>> are offering 16 MP on a much smaller sensor, 12 MP does seem a little
>> inadequate, however many pro shooters (and their clients) are very
>> happy with results from their 12 MP Nikon D3, D3s and D700 bodies.
>>
>> *smaller body, but massively larger lenses.
>>

>90% of the people buying the cameras would never be printing anything or
>cropping anything to the point where they could tell 12 from 16
>megapixels anyway.

That's an ever-present fact, I agree.

>The NEX's best attribute over micro 4/3rds is noise
>control. The cameras are a pain to use, I won't buy one, they are simply
>too small and too limited. I was under the impression the GF2 was an
>attempt by Panasonic to cut the cost of production of the pricey GF1? I
>have to get a look at a GF2. But I won't move from the G1 until something
>else (apart from the GH series) comes out with a good built-in EVF.

We have GF2s in stock but not yet on the shelves. We want to sell off
our final stock of GF1 bodies first. So I haven't had an opportunity
to try a GF2, although we have already sold a couple to customers who
had pre-ordered them. I will be encouraged by the review in AP to
approach the GF2 with an open mind, not least because I expect we will
be selling lots of them.

As for NEX, Sony will be introducing at least *five* new lenses for
the system this year, including at least one Carl Zeiss optic. We
have ordered a selection without knowing much about them, because if
there is one thing the NEX system needs it is more and better lenses.

NEX has been a very good seller for us and I am getting to like it for
that reason.