Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > superzoom cameras request

superzoom cameras request

Irwell

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 14:25:11 +0000, Bruce wrote:

> Stark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 05:32:21 -0800 (PST), Val Hallah
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>olympus sp800uz

>>tnk but it is not the kind of camera i meant for compact

> No, but it *is* a superzoom, which is what you asked about even if it
> wasn't what you meant.

The OP did say compact super zoom!

DanP

On Jan 6, 2:29*pm, Stark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:49:24 -0500, "David Ruether"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Stark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >> i wanted to buy a compact super zoom camera and i'm undecided among
> >> these

> >> panasonic -tz-10
> >> sony hx 5
> >> samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while zooming)

> >> what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me about?

> >> tnk

> >I'll join in the "throw out a model" game, but the Panasonic ZS7 (or ZS6,
> >same without GPS) is popular for its fairly sharp images with 25-300mm
> >equivalent lens, compactness, and video quality. It's not great in low light,
> >though, but for general daylight trip shooting, it is very good.
> >--DR

> what compact superzzom you suggest for low light? i'm interested in
> this kind *as well

You cannot have it all, compact AND low noise.
To get pictures in low light use the manual settings to increase the
exposure time and keep the camera on a tripod.

DanP

Irwell

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:51:13 -0800 (PST), Val Hallah wrote:

> On Jan 6, 5:36*pm, Irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> No, but it *is* a superzoom, which is what you asked about even if it
>>> wasn't what you meant. *

>> The OP did say compact super zoom!

> compared to a dslr they all are....

This group is probably what the OP had in mind,
most of them are just about 1 inch think when the
lens are contracted.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Stark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> what compact superzzom you suggest for low light?

A full frame DSLR with fast non-zoom lenses.

Most zooms won't be faster than f/2.8 [1] but there are f/1.2
(and even f/1.0) 50mm lenses and you can stay at or
below f/2 for most shooting situations. (Canon e.g. offers
f/1.4 or faster for 24-85mm)

Failing that, a crop-DSLR. And/or maybe fast f/2.8 zooms.
(A f/1.8 50mm is dirt cheap.)

Failing that, fast lenses with 4/3rds.

> i'm interested in
> this kind as well

Failing that, you might try some compact with a comparatively large
sensor and a comparatively fast lens, but that is like choosing
an icecream that tastes least like sawdust with terpentine sauce.
When all you have is sawdust and terpentine.

-Wolfgang

[1] OK, there are f/2.0 zooms for 4/3rd cameras, but they have
a noiser sensor which eats the advantage --- and the smaller
sensor also increases the DOF to what approximately a f/4 on
full frame delivers.

Bruce

Irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 14:25:11 +0000, Bruce wrote:
>> Stark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>tnk but it is not the kind of camera i meant for compact

>> No, but it *is* a superzoom, which is what you asked about even if it
>> wasn't what you meant.

>The OP did say compact super zoom!

It is generally accepted that "superzoom" refers to what used to be
called a "bridge camera". The definition is somewhat blurred by
compact p&s cameras that have lenses with a big zoom range.

The subject line said "superzoom cameras request" which led several
people to reply about superzooms. Careful reading of the message
itself showed that the OP was looking for something different.

Bruce

"N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Stark" wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
>hi all
>i wanted to buy a compact super zoom camera and i'm undecided among
>these
>panasonic -tz-10
>sony hx 5
>samsung w650 (but this have a noisy video recording while zooming)
>what do you suggest? or you have other models to tell me about?
>tnk
>================================================= =============
>
>Have you looked at the Nikon P7000?

The Nikon P7000 doesn't fit the OP's requirement because it is too big
and doesn't have enough zoom range. I use a P7000. I'm happy with
it. It is a good camera, but it isn't what the OP is looking for.

Robert Coe

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 23:48:15 +0000, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: It is generally accepted that "superzoom" refers to what used to be
: called a "bridge camera". The definition is somewhat blurred by
: compact p&s cameras that have lenses with a big zoom range.

Now I'm confused. I thought that a "bridge camera" was still called a "bridge
camera" and was a camera that more or less split the difference - in size,
price, and image quality - between a P&S and a DSLR. I thought a "superzoom"
was a P&S with an unusually long zoom range made possible by optical
compromises not necessary in more "normal" P&Sses. Have those definitions gone
obsolete while I wasn't looking?

Where is Supy the Troll when we may actually need his input?

Bob

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 23:48:15 +0000, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: It is generally accepted that "superzoom" refers to what used to be
>: called a "bridge camera". The definition is somewhat blurred by
>: compact p&s cameras that have lenses with a big zoom range.
>
>Now I'm confused. I thought that a "bridge camera" was still called a "bridge
>camera" and was a camera that more or less split the difference - in size,
>price, and image quality - between a P&S and a DSLR. I thought a "superzoom"
>was a P&S with an unusually long zoom range made possible by optical
>compromises not necessary in more "normal" P&Sses. Have those definitions gone
>obsolete while I wasn't looking?

I think your posting encapsulates the problem. Different people use
the term "superzoom" to describe distinctly different cameras. It is
especially confusing when compact p&s digicams are fitted with lenses
that have huge zoom ranges. There isn't really a name for those yet.

If you look at DPReview's recent group test of "superzooms", they are
all what used to be called "bridge cameras".

That seems to be the industry definition of a "superzoom". It is the
one I use since I am responsible for ordering new stock. It is not an
easy job, not least because I am having to place orders for cameras
that I haven't even seen - they haven't been announced yet!

Ofnuts

On 01/08/2011 07:15 PM, Bruce wrote:

> I think your posting encapsulates the problem. Different people use
> the term "superzoom" to describe distinctly different cameras. It is
> especially confusing when compact p&s digicams are fitted with lenses
> that have huge zoom ranges. There isn't really a name for those yet.
>
> If you look at DPReview's recent group test of "superzooms", they are
> all what used to be called "bridge cameras".
>
> That seems to be the industry definition of a "superzoom". It is the
> one I use since I am responsible for ordering new stock. It is not an
> easy job, not least because I am having to place orders for cameras
> that I haven't even seen - they haven't been announced yet!

Can you aim using the rear screen with a 600mm zoom? A very long zoom
implies a viewfinders and a viewfinder implies a bridge camera.

--
Bertrand

Bruce

Ofnuts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 01/08/2011 07:15 PM, Bruce wrote:
>

>> I think your posting encapsulates the problem. Different people use
>> the term "superzoom" to describe distinctly different cameras. It is
>> especially confusing when compact p&s digicams are fitted with lenses
>> that have huge zoom ranges. There isn't really a name for those yet.
>>
>> If you look at DPReview's recent group test of "superzooms", they are
>> all what used to be called "bridge cameras".
>>
>> That seems to be the industry definition of a "superzoom". It is the
>> one I use since I am responsible for ordering new stock. It is not an
>> easy job, not least because I am having to place orders for cameras
>> that I haven't even seen - they haven't been announced yet!

>Can you aim using the rear screen with a 600mm zoom? A very long zoom
>implies a viewfinders and a viewfinder implies a bridge camera.

Good point. With a superzoom camera (formerly known as "bridge" you
have a viewfinder, a good hand grip and usually some effective
anti-shake. Even then, it isn't easy to get a sharp image.

With a compact p&s that has a long zoom range, you lose the viewfinder
and grip, which makes it even more difficult.

I don't think any of the cameras listed by the OP have a lens that
goes as far out as 600mm (equivalent) but your point is well made.