Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Forwarding email header information

Forwarding email header information

Matty F

If person B using Outlook Express 6.0 receives an email from person A
and "Forwards" the email to me, why is the header information (e.g.
the IP number) from person A not in the header of the email that I
receive?
Isn't that the whole point of forwarding and headers, that the IP
addresses of the chain of emails can be traced?

If it doesn't work that way (god knows why not), how can person B send
me the header data of person A?

Dave Doe

In article <b5379bf9-a98e-4a28-ab10-9bca65c39de7
@r16g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Matty F says...

> If person B using Outlook Express 6.0 receives an email from person A
> and "Forwards" the email to me, why is the header information (e.g.
> the IP number) from person A not in the header of the email that I
> receive?
> Isn't that the whole point of forwarding and headers, that the IP
> addresses of the chain of emails can be traced?
>
> If it doesn't work that way (god knows why not), how can person B send
> me the header data of person A?

Yer correct, it *doesn't* work that way. A forward just copies the text
from the email really. It saves copy n' pasting

If you want to forward the headers, copy them and paste them - or, if
you want to forward the email in it's entirety, one way that normally
works on most email clients (I think it works in OE) is to:
* create a new email
* drag n' drop the email you want to foward into the new email (it
creates an attachment (which is the email in it's entirety).
* and then send it on

Alternatively, I think in OE you can also: create a new email, and then
"Insert" (menu) the email you want to forward (in it's entirety).

--
Duncan.

Matty F

On Jan 5, 11:46 pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <b5379bf9-a98e-4a28-ab10-9bca65c39de7
> @r16g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed), Matty F says...
>

> > If person B using Outlook Express 6.0 receives an email from person A
> > and "Forwards" the email to me, why is the header information (e.g.
> > the IP number) from person A not in the header of the email that I
> > receive?
> > Isn't that the whole point of forwarding and headers, that the IP
> > addresses of the chain of emails can be traced?

> > If it doesn't work that way (god knows why not), how can person B send
> > me the header data of person A?

> Yer correct, it *doesn't* work that way. A forward just copies the text
> from the email really. It saves copy n' pasting
>
> If you want to forward the headers, copy them and paste them - or, if
> you want to forward the email in it's entirety, one way that normally
> works on most email clients (I think it works in OE) is to:
> * create a new email
> * drag n' drop the email you want to foward into the new email (it
> creates an attachment (which is the email in it's entirety).
> * and then send it on
>
> Alternatively, I think in OE you can also: create a new email, and then
> "Insert" (menu) the email you want to forward (in it's entirety).

I'm using Eudora, and it does appear to copy the header data with a
simple Forward.
Unforunately Person B is probably incapable of doing even a copy and
paste.

Dave Doe

In article <84001d3a-b584-4f19-90a1-cab5dcd68619
@j32g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed), Matty F says...

> On Jan 5, 11:46 pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <b5379bf9-a98e-4a28-ab10-9bca65c39de7
> > @r16g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed), Matty F says...
> >

> > > If person B using Outlook Express 6.0 receives an email from person A
> > > and "Forwards" the email to me, why is the header information (e.g.
> > > the IP number) from person A not in the header of the email that I
> > > receive?
> > > Isn't that the whole point of forwarding and headers, that the IP
> > > addresses of the chain of emails can be traced?

> > > If it doesn't work that way (god knows why not), how can person B send
> > > me the header data of person A?

> > Yer correct, it *doesn't* work that way. A forward just copies the text
> > from the email really. It saves copy n' pasting
> >
> > If you want to forward the headers, copy them and paste them - or, if
> > you want to forward the email in it's entirety, one way that normally
> > works on most email clients (I think it works in OE) is to:
> > * create a new email
> > * drag n' drop the email you want to foward into the new email (it
> > creates an attachment (which is the email in it's entirety).
> > * and then send it on
> >
> > Alternatively, I think in OE you can also: create a new email, and then
> > "Insert" (menu) the email you want to forward (in it's entirety).

> I'm using Eudora, and it does appear to copy the header data with a
> simple Forward.
> Unforunately Person B is probably incapable of doing even a copy and
> paste.

OK, well maybe they can drag n' drop the email you want them to forward
into a new email and send it to you. And maybe not

--
Duncan.

Matty F

On Jan 6, 7:47 am, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/01/2011 11:32 p.m., Matty F wrote:> If person B using Outlook Express 6.0 receives an email from person A
> > and "Forwards" the email to me, why is the header information (e.g.
> > the IP number) from person A not in the header of the email that I
> > receive?
> > Isn't that the whole point of forwarding and headers, that the IP
> > addresses of the chain of emails can be traced?

> > If it doesn't work that way (god knows why not), how can person B send
> > me the header data of person A?

> As Duncan says elsewhere, what you are seeing is normal and correct. I
> haven't got a copy of OE to check (evil bloody app that it is), but I
> think you can right click and 'Forward as attachment' on the original
> message, which should send it intact (with all headers etc) as an
> attachment to the new message.
>
> http://email.about.com/cs/oetipstric...70503.htmsheds some light.

Well that (allegedly) didn't work.
I've suggested copy and paste but (allegedly) OE won't allow the paste
into an email.
I suggested pasting into Word but person B doesn't have Word, and has
not heard of Wordpad.

Nathan Mercer

On Jan 6, 10:18*am, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 7:47 am, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On 5/01/2011 11:32 p.m., Matty F wrote:> If person B using Outlook Express 6.0 receives an email from person A
> > > and "Forwards" the email to me, why is the header information (e.g.
> > > the IP number) *from person A not in the header of the email that I
> > > receive?
> > > Isn't that the whole point of forwarding and headers, that the IP
> > > addresses of the chain of emails can be traced?

> > > If it doesn't work that way (god knows why not), how can person B send
> > > me the header data of person A?

> > As Duncan says elsewhere, what you are seeing is normal and correct. *I
> > haven't got a copy of OE to check (evil bloody app that it is), but I
> > think you can right click and 'Forward as attachment' on the original
> > message, which should send it intact (with all headers etc) as an
> > attachment to the new message.

> >http://email.about.com/cs/oetipstric...3.htmshedssome light.

> Well that (allegedly) didn't work.
> I've suggested copy and paste but (allegedly) OE won't allow the paste
> into an email.
> I suggested pasting into Word but person B doesn't have Word, and has
> not heard of Wordpad.- Hide quoted text -

OE does allow pasting, sounds like a PEBKAC problem

Matty F

On Jan 6, 11:12 am, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OE does allow pasting, sounds like a PEBKAC problem

I am surprised by the number of people who have not discovered how to
copy and paste, and what is happening when that is done.
Some people never seem to get it, and they hold down important jobs.
I think it's Microsoft's fault, for trying to hide what is happening
in a machine.

However the whole email system appears to be crap and should be
redesigned to allow for all the problems that we now know about, like
spam and terrorists and phishing.
In the 1970s I used a rather nice system to send messages around NZ.
I could tell the instant the message was received. I could send a
message to a hundred people and tell who had received it.

Richard

On 6/01/2011 11:23 a.m., Matty F wrote:
> On Jan 6, 11:12 am, Nathan Mercer<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> OE does allow pasting, sounds like a PEBKAC problem

> I am surprised by the number of people who have not discovered how to
> copy and paste, and what is happening when that is done.
> Some people never seem to get it, and they hold down important jobs.
> I think it's Microsoft's fault, for trying to hide what is happening
> in a machine.
>
> However the whole email system appears to be crap and should be
> redesigned to allow for all the problems that we now know about, like
> spam and terrorists and phishing.
> In the 1970s I used a rather nice system to send messages around NZ.
> I could tell the instant the message was received. I could send a
> message to a hundred people and tell who had received it.

That is exactly what google, yahoo, facebook, myspace etc are all trying
to do, and quite frankly I would rather keep what we have than have
those clowns close up email to the select group they decide to allow to
use their services.

Murray Symon

Matty F wrote:

> On Jan 6, 11:12 am, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> OE does allow pasting, sounds like a PEBKAC problem

[snip]

> However the whole email system appears to be crap and should be
> redesigned to allow for all the problems that we now know about, like
> spam and terrorists and phishing.

How do we re-design the "email system" to stop terrorism?
"Terrorist" is a label that is so over used that it is losing its meaning.

Matty F

On Jan 6, 1:58 pm, Murray Symon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
> > On Jan 6, 11:12 am, Nathan Mercer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> OE does allow pasting, sounds like a PEBKAC problem

> [snip]
>
> > However the whole email system appears to be crap and should be
> > redesigned to allow for all the problems that we now know about, like
> > spam and terrorists and phishing.

> How do we re-design the "email system" to stop terrorism?
> "Terrorist" is a label that is so over used that it is losing its meaning.

Well it would be nice if emails could be tracked from the original
sender (who could be a bad person such as a terrorist).
It appears that the current email system is such crap that tracking is
impossible.